Advice for new Sunny Owner?

Oscar23

Apr 17, 2014
Baldwinsville. NY
Parrots
1 Sun Conure named Oscar
Hi all! I recently purchased a Sunny named Oscar. He will be coming home in May. I've read and learned a ton but I'm looking for more advice and tips from owners. So...what advice or tips would you give to a first time Sunny owner?

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie :rainbow1:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Congratulations. Is your sun a baby? I had my sun at about 6 months old. I like the slow and consistent method.....give the bird a chance to get used to his new home and new family and be around. Give lots of toys and soft conversation and good things to eat.

I made some mistakes with my sun in the beginning i think. I kind of allowed a little too much 'overbonding' with me and she got to a point where she didn't want toys, she only wanted ME and she squawked a lot (that sun squawk, when it is excessive, can make your brain bleed, LOL). She was showing moody and hormonal behaviors too, and i think that she had some confusion with me as her mate. (and at the time, i was giving her even MORE and MORE affection and attention, thinking it was my fault for not loving her enough and she was mad....i misread the cues of her behavior). I would have liked a forum like this back then!!! :)

All that being said, it was STILL fine and she was able to learn what was appropriate and we worked it out (she didn't stay this nippy, squawky, demanding bird forever).

We want to see pics of your baby, you know. :)

OP
Oscar23

Oscar23

Apr 17, 2014
Baldwinsville. NY
Parrots
1 Sun Conure named Oscar
Yes, he is a baby. He was hatched on January 23. Thanks for the tip. I can definitely see me overbonding with Oscar if I'm not thinking about it!

I've attached a picture of Oscar and I that I took today when I went to visit him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 109

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
aw, so adorable!!! <3

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He is gorgeous! And I love the look on your face as well:)

OP
Oscar23

Oscar23

Apr 17, 2014
Baldwinsville. NY
Parrots
1 Sun Conure named Oscar
Thank you both. I'm head over heels in love with him. He sure did love the string on my sweatshirt!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
It is great that you are getting the chance to bond with him before bringing him home. I didn't have this with any of my birds actually!! It is much easier and less frightening on the bird. He should do great in his new home.

coolit

Dec 20, 2013
Toys in the cage.

New toys monthly.

Figure out favorite treats.

Hide favorite treats in toys to force them to work their beaks when they are alone... also it's entertaining for them.

Lots of play time with you.

Keeping them in the most sociable part of the house.

Patience and training.

The first thing they have to learn is the step up and step down command.

The more time you can dedicate to the bird the better. They are smart little creatures that are happiest with as much attention as possible.

OP
Oscar23

Oscar23

Apr 17, 2014
Baldwinsville. NY
Parrots
1 Sun Conure named Oscar
Ruffledfeathers...the place I bought him from encourage us to come bond. Unfortunately, it's almost 2 hours away so I don't get there as much as I would like. He seemed to settle right in with me yesterday which was nice.

Thanks for your tips, coolit! The place I got him from interacts with him daily which is awesome. He already knows the step up command too. When they reached into his cage to get him he hopped over and happily jumped on her hand. I love that they are so good with him!

Most Reactions