Advice needed for Holly & Stewie

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well had a long talk & the problem goes beyond the cage, the feather dust drives her nuts.

I have promised to dust every night, this weekend we are going to re-arrange our living room, the play stands are definitely going into another room.

If we cant comprise, I have a friend that has a 40 x 30 double stack (he has a CAG in the top & a U2 in the bottom), I went to his house last night to see it in person, its alot bigger than I imagined. He said his birds do fine in it but its all they've ever known.

I keep coming back to actual space, the double stack is 40w x 30d x 34h for each cage
their current cage is 40w x 40d x 38h, I consider the space below the main perch dead space.

decisions decisions decesions

I am glad she is willing to work with you:) I knew she would be once she realized how important they are to you and aren't just "birds".

As for the dust, do you run an air purifier designed for high-dust birds? They are pricey, but would definitely help with the problem, as would a shopvac or vacuum geared towards pet-homes.

There are also apps you can get where you can digitally rearrange your furniture by inputting room and furniture dimensions which is much easier than moving it around multiple times to find the perfect layout. Downloading one of those may be helpful so you can try all kinds of various layouts to see which one would maximize space. I've used LiveInterior (which is really good), but heres a free online one if you want to give it a try (may have to get creative if they don't have a cage, find a similar shaped item and input the cage dimensions;)):

https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
Well had a long talk & the problem goes beyond the cage, the feather dust drives her nuts.

I have promised to dust every night, this weekend we are going to re-arrange our living room, the play stands are definitely going into another room.

If we cant comprise, I have a friend that has a 40 x 30 double stack (he has a CAG in the top & a U2 in the bottom), I went to his house last night to see it in person, its alot bigger than I imagined. He said his birds do fine in it but its all they've ever known.

I keep coming back to actual space, the double stack is 40w x 30d x 34h for each cage
their current cage is 40w x 40d x 38h, I consider the space below the main perch dead space.

decisions decisions decesions

I am glad she is willing to work with you:) I knew she would be once she realized how important they are to you and aren't just "birds".

As for the dust, do you run an air purifier designed for high-dust birds? They are pricey, but would definitely help with the problem, as would a shopvac or vacuum geared towards pet-homes.

There are also apps you can get where you can digitally rearrange your furniture by inputting room and furniture dimensions which is much easier than moving it around multiple times to find the perfect layout. Downloading one of those may be helpful so you can try all kinds of various layouts to see which one would maximize space. I've used LiveInterior (which is really good), but heres a free online one if you want to give it a try (may have to get creative if they don't have a cage, find a similar shaped item and input the cage dimensions;)):

https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner

^ that is a great idea about the air purifier! So if you get the smaller cage (i know it sucks) and get the air purifier that should help a lot, if it is in fact the space and dust issue and not the birds themselves or attention issue. I know my hubby has not gotten much attention since I brought Gollum home! How long have you had the birds? How long have you been married? (If I am not being too nosey :) I got married 6 days ago :D
Maybe you can store the larger cages somewhere.... just in case the small ones dont work out?

and the 3D room link... that looks fun! That is how I will spend my afternoon :)

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
23 years, that is wonderful! After all these years together, I am sure it is the dust and space. Get that air purifier and get dusting! chop chop :D

OP
Holly the U2

Holly the U2

Apr 17, 2015
Phila, PA
Parrots
Holly - U2
my wife is a insanely clean person & the dust drives her nuts, but a compromised has been reach.

This weekend we are going to convert the basement (which I've always wanted to do from the start) in to bird room, its a win win, plenty of room for the big cage & both there java trees.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm glad to hear you've reached a compromise and a win-win solution!

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
my wife is a insanely clean person & the dust drives her nuts, but a compromised has been reach.

This weekend we are going to convert the basement (which I've always wanted to do from the start) in to bird room, its a win win, plenty of room for the big cage & both there java trees.

That is pretty much what we've done with our house (due to cats, and not my hubby thankfully :p) Kyo has her own room/ my office where she is out free when I can be home… and when I need to go downstairs and don't want to leave her alone, she has a cage in the living room so that she can be with the family safely.

That said, still have to watch that damn Dougal (35 pound cat who is ultra curious and wants to kill her) as he is quick! I take my eyes off the cage for one second and he is at it >< and it doesn't help that Kyo is not afraid and taunts him…

I can understand how your wife feels better now… I know the cats hair and the litter box and the puking all over our house drives me absolutely BONKERS, but I respect that my husband loves them and that living without them would make him sad. So I deal with living with two animals that I really want nothing to do with (but they ADORE me for some reason) and he lives with the one animal that flies at him and attacks him… Poor hubby :p:54:

Most Reactions

Latest posts