Advice needed on winter heating a new aviary

Anxies

Jul 16, 2019
I have cockatiels and i am totally new to outdoor aviaries and am worried about winter their is barely any info online. This is the aviary i have brought my husband is convinced that with a bit of polystyrene and extra boarding it will warm the inside enough. I think we need some electric heating in the form of lamps maybe but obviously would need it to be safe and cost effective. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also what does everyone use to stop drafts fron mesh? Any advice for total novice would be amazing.
Anne

Attachments

• 122977928_3086670874771798_5090884711173638471_n.jpg
    122977928_3086670874771798_5090884711173638471_n.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 78

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have cockatiels and i am totally new to outdoor aviaries and am worried about winter their is barely any info online. This is the aviary i have brought my husband is convinced that with a bit of polystyrene and extra boarding it will warm the inside enough.
Does it snow in your area? Is there very heavy rain/storms?
I think we need some electric heating in the form of lamps maybe but obviously would need it to be safe and cost effective. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
I can't help you with this as I don't have much knowledge on heat lamps . Hopefully someone else sees this.
Also what does everyone use to stop drafts fron mesh?
You can try using a sheet of some sort to block it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How cold does it get in your area during winter? It may be easier to answer knowing the coldest temp it could get.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We are Staffordshire West Midlands there has been snow over the last 2 winters i would say lowest temp was about -4 at one point when it was bad at its very worst last year but i found this if it helps https://weather-and-climate.com/ave...nshine-region-west-midlands-gb,United-Kingdom

I think that it's too cold to allow your birds to stay in the aviary all winter.
If it were my birds I would either bring them in or make the aviary as warm as your house is. This would require getting 2 good oil heaters like this, one for the inside and one for the open area.
1654711479614.png

You would need to insulate the inside, and cover all the mesh with something to make sure the wind doesn't get through and so the heat doesn't escape.

That's just my thoughts, others may have more ideas:)

OP
A

Anxies

Jul 16, 2019
Thank you they are going into the aviary as my daughter is moving back in i had a room devoted to them but need to make the space back up unfortunately to accomodate my daughter longterm i have had to set up the aviary which is coming August as Em has asthma she cant have them in the room with her all night in the large indoor aviary room so i do worry a bit. This was my only option so now its making sure they are comfy and happy in their new home. The sheeting? Does it need to be special or polycarbonate? Does it simply need to be tightly fitted? I have so many questions and worries at the moment.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you they are going into the aviary as my daughter is moving back in i had a room devoted to them but need to make the space back up unfortunately to accomodate my daughter longterm i have had to set up the aviary which is coming August as Em has asthma she cant have them in the room with her all night in the large indoor aviary room so i do worry a bit. This was my only option so now its making sure they are comfy and happy in their new home. The sheeting? Does it need to be special or polycarbonate? Does it simply need to be tightly fitted? I have so many questions and worries at the moment.
I'm really not sure. I hope someone else knows what would be best to use. I know a budgie breeder here who has an aviary connected to his building where his birds are. They can go in and out, and I believe he uses clear plastic tarps, several of them per screen.
How many cockatiels do you have? What are the dimensions of the inside part of your aviary?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This may be useful:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your location really requires that the construction would be the same as building codes for a home as you have not only cold weather, but also humid cold weather!

Completely closed in like your home during the Winter, consider double pane windows that opened during the warmer weather, fully insulated and dedicated heating like the radiators noted above.

No, its not cheap!
Double door entry is required with a safe area between the great outdoors and the inner area or you will be spending time chasing after Parrots that have flown the Coop.

Last edited:
OP
A

Anxies

Jul 16, 2019
Thank you i think i will invest in some oil heaters and some thick sheets

Most Reactions