Getting the right Parrot for me

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had any personal opinions on parrots that may be the best fit for my lifestyle.
I have previous experience with large birds such as African Greys and Alexandrines (He was my first parrot who sadly passed away a year ago due to a long term illness)
Since my previous parrots passing, I needed some time to heal from it as he was truly my best friend and we did absolutely everything together. but I am ready to open my heart up and home to a new bird.

However, I have had some changes to my lifestyle since my Alexandrine and would like some advice or opinions on what bird might be best suited for me. I moved to London a month ago and my apartment is cozy and in the basement, some noise is acceptable, but Barney (my Alex) could SCREAM and while constant chatter or chirps are fine I don't think a bird that are known for screaming would suit me. I am lucky enough to earn a decent wage and can easily afford to keep up with the costs of my animals. But I think a bird that could be independent but also cuddly would suit me as I work from home 4 days a week, but sometimes I may have to go in for a few meetings.

I already have a rescue cockatiel called Pearly, who has been through a lot of abuse and suffering and unfortunately hasn't got along with any birds I fostered for a little while, she likes to just sit on her play stand and watch the telly or play with her toys. I would most defiantly have a little area for the new bird to play away from Pearly so that her peace doesn't get disturbed . I have fostered a GCC for a while and he was deffo a velcro bird, that screamed whenever I left the room. I swear it was louder than my Alexandrine sometimes. so even though he was lovely, and very funny, he put me off GCC but are they all velcro birds or was that just the case for him as he was a rescue and had some behavioral issues?

I do particularly like parakeets, Barney was literally the perfect bird for me, not too cuddly, could be independent but still enjoyed my company and liked to sleep on my shoulder and take showers. I'd have another but as I said their scream with my apartment wouldn't be suitable.

If anyone has any idea or opinions on what could be the best parrot for me I'd really appreciate it!

(I also just want to state that I am aware that parrots have a tendency to scream as it is their nature, but I just wanted some advice on some parrots that aren't as likely to scream every single day for ages. I wouldn't mind the occasional scream that could be rectified easily by enrichment or figuring out what they want / need.)

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I have fostered a GCC for a while and he was deffo a velcro bird, that screamed whenever I left the room. I swear it was louder than my Alexandrine sometimes. so even though he was lovely, and very funny, he put me off GCC but are they all velcro birds or was that just the case for him as he was a rescue and had some behavioral issues?

I think many Conures are prone to being Velcro birds. My GCC is most definitely a Velcro bird, but I love it :)

OP
Libbi24

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I think many Conures are prone to being Velcro birds. My GCC is most definitely a Velcro bird, but I love it :)
It is very sweet, My only concern with that would be when I have to go to work suddenly would they be comfortable being left alone for a little while? (of course with proper enrichment and toys to keep them occupied.)

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
It is very sweet, My only concern with that would be when I have to go to work suddenly would they be comfortable being left alone for a little while? (of course with proper enrichment and toys to keep them occupied.)
Being left alone for a while should be fine :) Mine is happiest when she is with me but there are of course times I have to leave her by herself. I think if you aren't regularly gone all day it would be ok.

Most Reactions

Latest posts