Advice on moving green cheek conure from aviary to indoor cage?

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
My baby green cheek conure (12 weeks old) lives in an outdoor aviary with his parents. The parents are both semi-tame and the baby is mostly tame but untrained. I am trying to move the baby into an indoor flight cage without frightening him too much or losing his trust, I have tried encouraging him into a carry cage with treats however he won't go near it. I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to move him?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My baby green cheek conure (12 weeks old) lives in an outdoor aviary with his parents. The parents are both semi-tame and the baby is mostly tame but untrained. I am trying to move the baby into an indoor flight cage without frightening him too much or losing his trust, I have tried encouraging him into a carry cage with treats however he won't go near it. I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to move him?
A net or towel might be the least upsetting way to go about it if he isn’t tame. I think you want to avoid chasing him, but you’ve already tried to lure him into the carry cage.

Last edited:
OP
C

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
A net or towel might be the least upsetting way to go about it if he isn’t tame. I think you want to avoid chasing him, but you’ve already tried to lure him into the carry cage.
Thanks, I might try using a towel. I haven't chased him at all, I just placed some treats inside the smaller cage to see if he would walk in on his own and make my job easy.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks, I might try using a towel. I haven't chased him at all, I just placed some treats inside the smaller cage to see if he would walk in on his own and make my job easy.
Another option would be to take the food out of the aviary and leave it only in the carrier/ cage? If the carrier door drops due to gravity it is easy to set up a trip that will close when the bird goes inside.

I think a large towel enfolding the bird as calmly as possible is the way to go. Birds get scared from the long pole that a net is mounted on, even though it allows you to ‘sneak up’ on them.

Last edited:
OP
C

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
Another option would be to take the food out of the aviary and leave it only in the carrier/ cage? If the carrier door drops due to gravity it is easy to set up a trip that will close when the bird goes inside.

I think a large towel enfolding the bird as calmly as possible is the way to go. Birds get scared from the long pole that a bet is mounted on, even though it allows you to ‘sneak up’ on them.
I will definitely try putting all the food in there today, that sounds like it would work. The towel sounds like a good idea too, I might try that tonight as a last resort. Thanks for all your help.

The nesting box is still in the aviary (I plan to take it out very soon), and at the moment they all tend to climb in there in the early evening to sleep. Do you think I could just cover the exit when the baby is in there on his own and take out the whole box, or might that be too scary for him?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I will definitely try putting all the food in there today, that sounds like it would work. The towel sounds like a good idea too, I might try that tonight as a last resort. Thanks for all your help.

The nesting box is still in the aviary (I plan to take it out very soon), and at the moment they all tend to climb in there in the early evening to sleep. Do you think I could just cover the exit when the baby is in there on his own and take out the whole box, or might that be too scary for him?
I think that would work. Is the aviary cold that they NEED this nest box to sleep in?

OP
C

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
I think that would work. Is the aviary cold that they NEED this nest box to sleep in?
Great, thanks! When I remove the nest box I will replace it with a box that is slightly larger and has an open top. This is to prevent them from laying eggs. It doesn't ever get very cold where I am.

Most Reactions

Latest posts