Advice on vocalizations...

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
So my 5 month old Meyers (Kevin) is a dream...super sweet and loving (lets my 2 year old pet and kiss him). He has learned a few whistles and has even started talking, which I know isn't super common for Meyers.
My problem is that we have a black lab who gets very anxious when she knows the bird is out, the dogs are separated from the main part of the house by a baby gate. So, after hearing the lab whine however many times, Kevin now imitates this horribly pitched sound. This is now become his main vocalization during his morning time flock calls....not cool.
Does anyone know of any good CDs of bird sounds or songs that I can play for him to try and get him to stop? This sound is a very high pitched whine sound that is similar to the beep when a smoke alarm battery is going dead....
Not the worst thing in the world, but if I can help curb it, it would be nice! :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I personally think no matter what cd's you play for the bird,that it is going to makes any real changes. As long as the lab is whining, and the bird can hear it, he is going to repeat it.

OP
S

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
The dog has settled down quite nicely...she just had to re-adjust. Last time there was a parrot in the house was about 2 years ago. So, the lab has stopped but the bird has not. I don't have my hopes up all that high, but still open for suggestions...

Most Reactions