Poi question

Boman

Dec 4, 2010
Hey all!

Im new to the forums and have been wanting a parrot for quite some time now. I have been living in Peru with my wifes family for 4 months and they have a young amazon parrot that is a ton of fun...I will be moving back to Canada soon and have been doing lots of research as to what bird would best suite us. Since we will be living in an apartment, an amazon would definitely not work out lol (noise level). So I've decided on the poicephalus!

We work 8 hour days...so the ability to keep itself entertained through toys etc is a must

a playful/loving companion

The quieter the better (apartment)

Looks is not a huge factor

Talking/mimic ability is a plus

Which poi best suites these traits?

Thanks a bunch ;)

Bo

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Welcome to the forum Bo! I hope you are not planning on getting your bird till after arrival in Canada. It is very difficult to bring birds from different countries.
I think pois make great apartment birds. I bred most of the poi species. Capes are the largest and make sweet pets. The can be a bit louder then the other species. Senegals are the fiestiest. IMHO. Meyers are sweet. red bellies make great pets. I prefer females with RBs. Brown heads are my all time favorite poi! They can be difficult to find but tend to be the least expensive. Pois are very active funny birds. Sennies tend to be one person birds. Sennies, capes, Brown heads and RBs all have great talking ability. If your bird has lots of toys and foraging opportunities in their cage they can keep themselves busy. Make sure they get lots of out of cage time when you return home from work. While pois are not know to be overly loud, it is very important to remember that each bird is an individual. There can be loud or quiet sennies, etc. I wish you luck!

OP
B

Boman

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply grey! I wont be bringing a bird from Peru. There aree many breeders in the lower mainland of BC. I'll do my best to find the best one. As for which breed i will choose, I'm leaning towards the brown head since ive heard nothing but good things from owners. If not the bh, then the RB as they are welcoming towards visitors. :D

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Both are great choices!!

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
I've owned a Senegal and now have a Meyers and although I loved my old bird, he was very tempermental and prone to panic attacks at the smallest things. My Meyers is an absolute love and aside from small episodes of morning flock calls is super quiet (most visitors don't even know there is a parrot in the house). My decision was between a BH and a Meyers, I just happened to find a Meyers first and am super happy with my little guy! Good luck!!

OP
B

Boman

Dec 4, 2010
Does anyone know of any reputable breeders that breed brown headed parrots in western canada? We're set on adding one to the family :)

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
As I mentioned before, Brown headed parrots are sometimes difficult to come by. He is a link to Canadian breeders that you may have to search through. Personally, I am not familiar with Canadian breeders. I wish you much luck in your search!
Canadian Bird Breeder's List

Most Reactions

Latest posts