advice with taming

Lillybug89

Aug 3, 2014
I got myself a beautiful blue indian ringneck back in june ive had him for a month and he is almost five months old. I need some advice on taming him, he will step up but he doesnt like hands, he still runs away from us unless we put our hand right infront of him right away, when he is out he goes either to the top of his cage or to our sholders he wont stay on our hands. He has also started his bluffing stage from what i can tell, he has struck at us a few times and ive heard him his but he has not bitten us to the point of breaking skin. I would like to know more about how i can get him to trust me enough to actually take him out of the cage without him wanting our sholder or cage but will stay on my hand. Please help me?

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am dealing with bluffing with one of my IRNs right now, and it can be tough. The first thing to know is what bluffing really is. I had a hard time identifying it in my bird, because she wasnt biting me, just FREAKING OUT and trying to escape. I called the breeder, I was so confused, the bird was just getting wilder and wilder! Well, birds naturally fly away from danger. When they can't, they are forced to bite. So dont think of the bluffing as aggression, it isn't; it is fear. Adolescent IRNs, for some reason, develope a HUGE FEAR of fingers. We don't know why - they just do. Treat your bird like you would treat a wild bird who is afraid of fingers. You need to move slowly, assume your bird is a wild bird, not a tame one. If you do this right, your tame bird will eventually calm down and return to you. however, if you force yourself on your bird not only will you be bitten, but you will break your bird's trust in you, and may never have the companion that you want.

OP
L

Lillybug89

Aug 3, 2014
Ok so should i just start from scratch with him so that i can do it right or should i just keep going but be more cautious about my movements around him. what is something you would suggest that i do to help with taming?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I suggest starting from scratch. Also, try to keep your hands out of it. For example, if he is out, put treats around you, and toys, and maybe sit on your hands and watch tv for a little while and see if he will come over. Always try yo keep your fingers close together and move slowly until he is comfortable with your hands again, which will take time, but if you are patient you will be rewarded :)

OP
L

Lillybug89

Aug 3, 2014
Thank you that helps me alot btw my baby is named skye he is chirping and having a blast with the toys i have already gotten for him.:)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I am so glad to hear that :) I am still working through the bluffing stage with my blue IRN, named Blue (Soooooooooo original!) it is going slowly, but it is going!

OP
L

Lillybug89

Aug 3, 2014
Ok so new question when he comes out of the cage after having him out for awhile, how do iput him back in without grabbing him or using my hands he hates the dowel rod i try to use he will actually step up on my hand without being scared but thats if hes on the floor, if hes on the cage he doesnt want my hand or the dowel rod and he wont take treats (strange bird) have any advice?

Most Reactions