ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
I recently bought a shower perch for my conure. Should he be in there while Im cleaning myself too or is it something thats its just him and im near by? If i can be in there can I use scented soap?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I recently bought a shower perch for my conure. Should he be in there while Im cleaning myself too or is it something thats its just him and im near by? If i can be in there can I use scented soap?
I think most people shower with their birds but I suppose you would need to trust your bird with all that bare skin. I would take my Goffin's cockatoo into the shower with me. He would get soaked and I'd blow dry him afterward.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ona showers with me every day. She LOVES it. I think it is probably the most safe to use unscented soap but I personally don't. I do try to avoid anything too perfume-like or too heavy. Just make sure the shower perch is in a good spot. A lot of birds just like the steam and don't need the water at all to enjoy it. Others might want to get splashed a little. Don't place the perch directly by/under the shower head but instead place it more to the back or side of the shower. If your bird does want to get wet it's safest to let them sit on your hand while the water bounces gently off of you. The rest of the time they will enjoy the steam on the shower perch.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
They like the warm steam....

Mine like to sit on shower rail and watch sometimes they shower but I like my water hot and they like room temperature.

It's fine, soap is by it's nature non-toxic. With my old conure I'd wash myself then put it on my foot after I was all rinsed off and turned the heat down and let it get "rained" on a bit. The new ones I just let them choose to join or get steamed on shower rail.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I also like my showers way too hot for Salty to be under direct spray. His shower perch is a corner one I made from PVC pipe, and he gets the 'bounce back' spray off my shoulders. But usually we just mist him heavy, he enjoys that much more.

Most Reactions