Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
My oldest male maxx who is 13 years old has all of a sudden decided that he no longer likes me, now ive had maxx since he was 15 weeks old,ok back to the problem ,one every time i walk pass him he fluffs ups and lunges at me, two he now screams all day, three, when i open up to let him out he just gets scared and runs to the bottom of cage, four, of a morning and only morning feed he bites as im getting his containers out ,he has never been like this and its becoming a problem.
any idea's would be appreciated, now there is nothing new bar the fact i kept one of there babies and one from another pair which are now paired but they have been in there for months and this is only happened in the last 4 weeks,so there is no stress i can see causing it,one thing i was wondering i hurt my back so i was sleeping on the lounge in the birds room for a few weeks and it was a couple of days after i stopped sleeping out there he went funny could it be im not out there of a night,

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i cant offer any advice but im sure some one will be along soon. Im so sad to hear max has turned, he will be back to normal soon, im sure..... the more u stress about it the more he will scence it.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well I dont want to jump straight to multiple conclusions, do you think hormones could ave any effect in it as you have multiple females and males and it could be frustrating to him now even though it hasn't been before?

Sexual maturity should be far gone now so that really isn't a problem, and I really doubt it has to do with you not sleeping n there anymore.

More information would be helpful if you have some, because it is odd you've had him 13 years and no issues, usually the issues would have came about during his hormonal maturity stage not now.

OP
coltfire

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
Well I dont want to jump straight to multiple conclusions, do you think hormones could ave any effect in it as you have multiple females and males and it could be frustrating to him now even though it hasn't been before?

Sexual maturity should be far gone now so that really isn't a problem, and I really doubt it has to do with you not sleeping n there anymore.

More information would be helpful if you have some, because it is odd you've had him 13 years and no issues, usually the issues would have came about during his hormonal maturity stage not now.
no the hormones not a problem, as he only wants his girl the others dont interest him and they are not even of age yet still a few years out,he has always been the boss and always will ,i think its more to do with protecting his babies , but he has never had problem with me and the babies before so im at my wits end.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Why not sleep there a night again and see how he is the next day.

If that isn't it, then make sure he isn't hurt or sick. Just in case.

OP
coltfire

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round

i did that last night and he was fine until i opened up to get the food bowls, as for being sick i all ready thought that so took him in for full check up and bloods, check up got all thumbs up the same with bloods. there is only two of us in the house but its like some one miss treated him and has hurt him and he is scared. but i know no one has, that's what i dont understand.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009

i did that last night and he was fine until i opened up to get the food bowls, as for being sick i all ready thought that so took him in for full check up and bloods, check up got all thumbs up the same with bloods. there is only two of us in the house but its like some one miss treated him and has hurt him and he is scared. but i know no one has, that's what i dont understand.

It is odd. It sounds territorial to me. My one male will do some of this behavior when he is with a nesting hen. Do you have the nestbox up, or in fact any nest box he can see?

OP
coltfire

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round

It is odd. It sounds territorial to me. My one male will do some of this behavior when he is with a nesting hen. Do you have the nestbox up, or in fact any nest box he can see?
yes there are two chicks in the box atm, but this has never been a problem.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have to honestly say I am stumped right now, colt! I haven't been stumped for a bird issue in a long time thank you lol something to think about. I will sit down and give this a good thought and see what I could come up with! Give me Alittle to get back to you and see what others have to say ima go look at some notes I have on previous behaviors similar to this.

Nothing and I mean nothing at all has changed, any previous situations that have happened we're a trigger could have made this behavior arise?

Last edited:
OP
coltfire

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
well i was very stumped but i went over things over and over and i am so stupid , it took me a whole 60 sec to fix the problem,a few weeks back in between clutch's i changed the way i put there cover on,it no longer covered the nest box opening i could see in and so could every one else, and as Sodacat said it sound territorial, which really made me think, so today i put the cover back around the bottom of cage to block out the nest box and straight away he settled, started talking, back to his normal self even lets me put hand in and he steps back up. i had forgot i changed it because it was in between . so happy he is back, thank you ever one .

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It can turn into problem when they have chicks in the nest box! I have pairs that have done that to me before. They were fine before and all of the sudden they don't want me near their cage or the nest box period. He's just acting his part protecting his territory and his mate plus the babies.

Most Reactions