African Congo Grey Looking For

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Senegal, Red Bellied Parrot.
We lost our girl about 4 months ago due to a seizure. She died in my hands and I am having a real hard time with this. We have looked at getting another baby girl but the pet stores out here in Atlanta want $6500 to $10,000. We paid $1200, 21 years ago for ours so my question is this the going rate? I have look online at places where they say they will ship but I do not know which ones are scams and which ones are real. Can anyone point me to one that is close to Atlanta that is a valid business? We are willing to drive to see and pickup our new family member.

Thanks,
Brent

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
I recently adopted a sweet 20 yr. old blue headed conure. My expenses were about $100 for shipping. Our 17 yr. old GCC died in my hands due to a tragic accident. He flew into a door closing on him. I know how your feeling believe me. Will be happy to pray for peace for you. I waited about a month to grieve and then went on adopting websites. I prayed for direction on where to look. Wishing you peace and restoration. Bonita

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Sometimes it is best to keep your options open rather than making hard and fast agendas about how a problem is solved. It gives a chance for different doors to open. Your path could be different than you think, but still a great solution. Buddy is 3-4 times larger than any bird I thought I would get, and I've never had a pet shipped to me. Still now that he's here it feels perfect!

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Thank you for the response. I see on the internet places that look legit but as you look closer you begin to wonder. House is just way to quiet without her. Thanks again.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Have you considered checking rescues or shelters nearby for adult CAGs? I found this one as an example: https://featheredfriendsforever.org/

It's really hard to find reputable breeders through all the outright scams on the internet. I personally have not bought many baby birds--only one in fact, and he's a GCC, which is easily one of the easiest birds to find as far as hand fed babies go. I checked the breeders I trust in my area and none of them had grey clutches for me to compare prices. All I could find as far as CAGs go is online breeders and from the price of the bird to the price of shipping to whether or not you'll even receive a bird in the end, it's so hard to tell with those if they're legitimate.

But, it might be worth even just a quick visit to the shelter to see if any of the birds there capture your heart. Anyone who's worked with rescues can tell you that their application and screening process can sometimes be a complete pain in the butt depending on the organization, but they do good work, and while some birds at shelters may be deeply traumatized and need a little extra love, that's not the only experience... my friendliest bird in my flock came from a shelter. I might be preaching to the choir on this one, maybe you've rescued before and decided that this time around you want a baby for very specific reasons, but I figured I would float the idea just in case you hadn't considered it yet.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
As far as price goes .
I have seen 2 CAG’s for sale in my area Los Angeles.
a 26 year old for 4,500 and a girl less than a year that they don’t want to give the price for.
I feel sure they don’t ship.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Thanks for all the info. I have looked at shelters but so far have not had much luck. Thanks again.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
We have contacted Feathered Friends Forever several years ago and we have a trust setup with them to take care of our birds if something happens to me and my wife. I did not contact them about an adoption but I will. Thanks for the thought.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
We lost our girl about 4 months ago due to a seizure. She died in my hands and I am having a real hard time with this. We have looked at getting another baby girl but the pet stores out here in Atlanta want $6500 to $10,000. We paid $1200, 21 years ago for ours so my question is this the going rate? I have look online at places where they say they will ship but I do not know which ones are scams and which ones are real. Can anyone point me to one that is close to Atlanta that is a valid business? We are willing to drive to see and pickup our new family member.

Thanks,
Brent
I would look into rescues since you are experienced grey owner. African Greys go from 8-10k. The sad part is the prices are going up next year.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)

Thanks,
Brent
In the last 21 years parrots have become very expensive. If you are looking for a legit place to buy a quality bird I am sure there are people on the forum who can help. We have a great exotic pet store "Exotic Pet Birds Inc." They are located in Webster, NY. They do ship, I know of another that breed African Greys, Feather Headz Aviary, they are located in Florida. I don't know if either has any Greys for sale, but I can tell you they are both legitimate places.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
We went to the Gwinnett County Exotic Bird Show last weekend. They had a 4 month old African Grey for $7000.00. We also found a 3 year old for $2400.00 and a seven year old for $2200.00.
We also stumbled on a African Red Bellied Parrot which we fell in love with and brought him home. He was $700.00 and is three years old. We have moved him to his new cage and are acclimating him to his new environment. Our Senegal is very interested in him since he was purchased to keep her company when we are not here. They are in different cages. I think he will be a great addition to our family. He is still very timid but he will come around. We will give him a couple of weeks to adjust since changing homes can be very stressful.

OP
B

Brent S

Nov 2, 2023
Dacula Georgia.
Parrots
Alex, short for Alexander is acclimating well. He decided he would like to come out of his cage today for the first time today. Still timid but is letting us scratch his head. He is a big talker and carries on for several minutes. Seems to be extremely intelligent. Just need to get him where he trusts us enough to hold him. We will let him set his own pace. Our Senegal is watching him closely. Today we he came out of his cage she went nuts whistling and chirping to get our attention.

Most Reactions

Latest posts