Looking for a new feathered friend

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
I am looking for a medium sized bird in western australia, preferably near perth but if not, thats ok.
The species that i am looking for are Quakers, green cheeked conures, jenday conures, caiques and other medium sized parrots.
If you know a breeder that sells them or better yet, someone who is rehoming one please let me know.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I Adopted Teeko, from Petsmart, which I've heard alot of people are effy..about pet places, because of farming and stuff..but Teeko is probably one of the most important and blessful things I've done in my life. He's a green cheek too! Good luck on your new adventure to come! From the U.S.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
Budgies are for some reason middle sized birds and they are awesome! I have 2 parakeets and they are so kind and sweet. my budgie sky child is the sappest little butterfly ever!

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Budgies are for some reason middle sized birds and they are awesome! I have 2 parakeets and they are so kind and sweet. my budgie sky child is the sappest little butterfly ever!
Thanks for the suggestion, but as i am planning to free fly them, i need bird that is a bit bigger than a budgie. at least bigger than a cockatiel.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
Thanks for the suggestion, but as i am planning to free fly them, i need bird that is a bit bigger than a budgie. at least bigger than a cockatiel.
alright! maybe a cockatoo. they can be a bit obsessive over their owners. they live long long lives and it will be like having a small child forever. just remember they need a lot of attention all day so think about if you have anyone who would be willing to take care of he/she.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I Adopted Teeko, from Petsmart, which I've heard alot of people are effy..about pet places, because of farming and stuff..but Teeko is probably one of the most important and blessful things I've done in my life. He's a green cheek too! Good luck on your new adventure to come! From the U.S.
I work at a petsmart and I'd definitely be weary about getting a bird, especially a conure, from them. It varies from store to store but whoever supplies our store I'm 90% sure shoves the babies in a too small cage with no perches and very little to eat. They come to us obviously JUST weaned. It's not uncommon for their feathers to be in ruins, and it seems like none of them know how to perch. They're also all really scared at first. Like never handled by a human scared.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I work at a petsmart and I'd definitely be weary about getting a bird, especially a conure, from them. It varies from store to store but whoever supplies our store I'm 90% sure shoves the babies in a too small cage with no perches and very little to eat. They come to us obviously JUST weaned. It's not uncommon for their feathers to be in ruins, and it seems like none of them know how to perch. They're also all really scared at first. Like never handled by a human scared.
Yes I know! It's sad. When they were trying to grab teeko they used a net. I told them to let me do it..because he was running for dear life. So when they let me in, the HEAT was IMMACULATE. Were talking like 85 degrees or more. Constantly all Day long. Could you imagine that?? I reached my hand in. And it took me a few bites from him but eventually he stepped up on my hand. He is so perfect. And I'm glad I got him away from Such a evil place. I can't even be away from him more than 5 secs he wants to be with me anywhere and everywhere

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Yes I know! It's sad. When they were trying to grab teeko they used a net. I told them to let me do it..because he was running for dear life. So when they let me in, the HEAT was IMMACULATE. Were talking like 85 degrees or more. Constantly all Day long. Could you imagine that?? I reached my hand in. And it took me a few bites from him but eventually he stepped up on my hand. He is so perfect. And I'm glad I got him away from Such a evil place. I can't even be away from him more than 5 secs he wants to be with me anywhere and everywhere
Yeah... I hate using the net but sometimes it's all we can do. Usually with the conures it's not necessary as we can socialize them enough to get them hand tame but with parakeets and finches.... ugh. I wish I could just spend my entire shift socializing the animals. I do my best with what I can but we are overworked as is...

I'm not afraid of being bit by really any of the animals. Even the more shy conures I'll gladly take some bites before using the net. But my coworkers aren't as.... knowledgeable and comfortable with birds.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Yeah i wouldent buy a bird from PetSmart hate to say it but if feel like that leaves you open for potential heartbreak...

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yeah i wouldent buy a bird from PetSmart hate to say it but if feel like that leaves you open for potential heartbreak...
Yes, seconding this. I mean, I got a healthy bird from PetSmart, but I don't know where she actually came from (she was surrendered). I've had a bird with coordination issues and some mild physical abnormalities, which was likely due to inbreeding. He never would've been able to free fly. A lot of the birds from big chain pet stores are inbred. If you're looking into free flight, I recommend a rescue or breeder bird. Rescues come with their own issues, but many have been able to free fly.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Like Stormy said.. Your better off getting ur babies from a reputable breeder then a sketchy one. I made that mistake and lost one of my fids at the age of 5 and a half i wont ever make that mistake again its not worth the heart ache.

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Thanks so much! I would rather avoid pet stores but if worst comes to worst i might.
Thanks

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
alright! maybe a cockatoo. they can be a bit obsessive over their owners. they live long long lives and it will be like having a small child forever. just remember they need a lot of attention all day so think about if you have anyone who would be willing to take care of he/she.
Maybe, though they might be a bit too difficult to look after!

OP
Saravp

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Yes i know it really is awful most of the time, so i'll try my best to avoid them

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Yes, seconding this. I mean, I got a healthy bird from PetSmart, but I don't know where she actually came from (she was surrendered). I've had a bird with coordination issues and some mild physical abnormalities, which was likely due to inbreeding. He never would've been able to free fly. A lot of the birds from big chain pet stores are inbred. If you're looking into free flight, I recommend a rescue or breeder bird. Rescues come with their own issues, but many have been able to free fly.
Jesus...inbreeding? Well Teeko looks normal..he doesn't look like he's from wrong turn..so maybe I got lucky idk lol

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Jesus...inbreeding? Well Teeko looks normal..he doesn't look like he's from wrong turn..so maybe I got lucky idk lol
Inbreeding is extremely common in pet store birds. Many are fine, but some are a little messed up or a lot messed up.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
Depends on the lovey tbh ive met super friendly gentle ones and ones that want NOTHING to do with you and want to be alone 24/7 so..

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Lovebirds are super loving and nice
Not exactly how I’d describe them… β€œmoody small bird with a big beak (big bites)” would be a better description.

ZorroKnowsAll

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Sep 28, 2023
Europe
Parrots
Zorro (my caique)
TequiIa, Blue lagoon, Hibiki and Pumpkin spice (greencheeks, mostly my boyfriend's)
Icarus and Gaia (budgies)
❀️
If theres a specialized pet store near, I'd reconsider! I often see scared birds in pet shops, although I bought my two budgies from a regular one and they are fine. I did have to clip the wings of my first budgie because he kept flying into windows at first (but these budgies were untame, so it takes work and patience!), but I recently bought a tame young caique from a specialized petshop where the owner even trains freeflight with his own birds. He also makes most greencheeks there tame. And the caique I got is the sweetest thing, tame, loves to sit and play with me and even follows me around, which he did from day 2. So see if theres a petstore that specializes in (tame) birds! I had to drive 1,5 hour, but it was worth it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts