African Grey Lost!!! Help, what to do?!

Alexandros

Jun 22, 2015
Greece
Parrots
Cockatiel
Congo African Grey
Hi, five days ago (Wednesday morning) my Congo African Grey escaped!
icon_cry.gif
african_grey.gif
. I am not sure how it happened but she got out of her cage by the water tray while she was outside in the garden. I mustn't have closed it properly or she opened it herself.

Anyway, I didn't know this till two days ago as I had gone to a hiking trip and my family took care of my birds. We have a fair amount of trees in the area and she was heard up one on the first day, she is fully flight able. Also, she doesn't have a metal ring on her foot and she was given to us by a small petshop because the owner is friends with my dad and I REALLY wanted one (want her back now too
icon_e_sad.gif
). She knows how to survive in the wild and she is tame although quite hesitant with strangers. We also don't know if it's a he or a she.

We have put up flyers in the local area, told the police, told all the vets in the area (my dad was a vet but for cats and dogs only) and in the process of informing all of the petshops. I have never before felt so sad, losing a bird is something nobody deserves
icon_cry.gif

BTW, I am 14yrs old.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think you are doing everything right informing local vets and agencies in case someone finds her and turns her in. You could also try putting her cage in the yard with fresh food, her favorite toys and treats and water in case she is still in the area (door open of course). Many domestic birds do not like being in the wild, are frightened, hungry and jump at the opportunity to return to what they know. I really hope you find her soon!

OP
A

Alexandros

Jun 22, 2015
Greece
Parrots
Cockatiel
Congo African Grey
Thanks! I'll put the cage outside although I don't think she is anywhere close by as she doesn't answer to whistling.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
One person on here had his grey missing for a looking time. I want to say weeks before he found him.

Pthomas

Apr 26, 2015
houston
Parrots
Rico, he is a Quaker parrot
Hi, five days ago (Wednesday morning) my Congo African Grey escaped!
icon_cry.gif
african_grey.gif
. I am not sure how it happened but she got out of her cage by the water tray while she was outside in the garden. I mustn't have closed it properly or she opened it herself.

Anyway, I didn't know this till two days ago as I had gone to a hiking trip and my family took care of my birds. We have a fair amount of trees in the area and she was heard up one on the first day, she is fully flight able. Also, she doesn't have a metal ring on her foot and she was given to us by a small petshop because the owner is friends with my dad and I REALLY wanted one (want her back now too
icon_e_sad.gif
). She knows how to survive in the wild and she is tame although quite hesitant with strangers. We also don't know if it's a he or a she.

We have put up flyers in the local area, told the police, told all the vets in the area (my dad was a vet but for cats and dogs only) and in the process of informing all of the petshops. I have never before felt so sad, losing a bird is something nobody deserves
icon_cry.gif

BTW, I am 14yrs old.

Thanks!
Where are you located at. One was found in my area a few days ago.
One person on here had his grey missing for a looking time. I want to say weeks before he found him.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Where are you located at. One was found in my area a few days ago.

If you look in the upper right corner of the OP's posts, it says he/she is located in Greece. A bit far for a CAG to travel, but I hope the one in your area is reunited with it's owner soon.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Don't give up, and don't stop looking.

Most tend to stay within the five mile radius of where they were lost. When they get tired or hungry, they come looking for food and water, or someone who appears to be willing to feed them.

My CAG has gotten out no less than five times overnight. Twice I have lost him for two weeks or more. I have gotten him back every time.

They vocalize at first light. That's the best time to find them... you go out when it's real quiet, and you listen for them.

OP
A

Alexandros

Jun 22, 2015
Greece
Parrots
Cockatiel
Congo African Grey
Don't give up, and don't stop looking.

Most tend to stay within the five mile radius of where they were lost. When they get tired or hungry, they come looking for food and water, or someone who appears to be willing to feed them.

My CAG has gotten out no less than five times overnight. Twice I have lost him for two weeks or more. I have gotten him back every time.

They vocalize at first light. That's the best time to find them... you go out when it's real quiet, and you listen for them.

Thanks! This is VERY encouraging for me, I thought that mine has been lost for a long time (6days), I am busy with school so can't go out really early yet but will do so next week. How else did you find him and how did he escape?

Thanks guys for your great support and info! This is extremely valuable to me!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Here are my threads:

http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/48849-lost-my-congo-african-grey.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/49022-tusk-home.html

You've done everything right so far.

Now it's just a matter of beating the bushes, and checking back with people.

Pet stores are a very, very good idea, because if someone intending to keep him goes in for food, or a cage, and happens to mention finding a gray parrot - WELL THERE YOU GO! He just showed up, and kept hanging around, and looks hungry... "WE KNOW WHOSE BIRD THAT IS!!"

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good luck to you and your Grey, Alexandros. I hope you are reunited very soon!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
How many flyers should I post? Got about 15 now.

I went door to door in my neighborhood, and in the neighborhoods near mine. And I talked to people, and just showed them a picture of the bird, when I was out looking...

The more eyes and ears you have, the better your chances of finding him...

OP
A

Alexandros

Jun 22, 2015
Greece
Parrots
Cockatiel
Congo African Grey
Yes! A lady informed us the she heard "dimitri" shouted, this is what my parrot screams often:) will go after school to investigate, chances are somebody found her.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
This is wonderful news! I hope it leads you to your bird, good luck with the investigation and please keep us posted.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
My fingers and toes are crossed for you! This is one of my biggest fears.....

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Yay! Great news! Good luck!

OP
A

Alexandros

Jun 22, 2015
Greece
Parrots
Cockatiel
Congo African Grey
Found her:D! Went to the area that the lady heard her and followed the sounds to a home. A guy had her in a cage on his balcony, said that he bought her from another guy, all in all it was a huge mess, had to pay him 100euro to get her back. Anyway, VERY happy to have her back.

If anyone else loses his/here bird, I'd post a lot of flyers and get the word out as fast as possible.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
What a wonderful update! You must be thrilled to have her home safe and sound (and I bet she's thrilled to be home too):D I am glad to hear all your hard work brought your bird home.

I bet this has ben a valuable lesson to invest in a better lock for her cage;)

Most Reactions