African Grey WIP...

OP
M

minime

Jan 12, 2008
Liverpool U.K
Parrots
Sadly...I do not own a parrot
many thanks for all your kind words folks, and sorry so long since last update....THIS IS A KILLER...always is at the last stages. I have the trunk of the tree to do to finish the actual drawing. Then I will clean it using a combination of blu-tac and eraser. After which its of to be scanned and printed up...My problem is Billy is teething and full of cold, so I am tied up and tired. Will do my best to finish by the weekend....then, I think it going to be either Galah or Greenwing macaw...

Greywip000.jpg

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
*COUGH* how about those sun conures ..*COUGH* . I have reference photos if you need them. *COUGH*

Sorry to hear about your son (I presume, you say Billy is teething and full of a cold) is sick ... teething is no fun and there are a few nasty colds going around this year ... hope he is feeling better soon, because when the baby is happy, EVERYONE IS HAPPY!

OP
M

minime

Jan 12, 2008
Liverpool U.K
Parrots
*COUGH* how about those sun conures ..*COUGH* . I have reference photos if you need them. *COUGH*

Sorry to hear about your son (I presume, you say Billy is teething and full of a cold) is sick ... teething is no fun and there are a few nasty colds going around this year ... hope he is feeling better soon, because when the baby is happy, EVERYONE IS HAPPY!

Cheers. I would not mind seeing the reference shots if thats ok. You could start a 'sun conure' photos thread, and we could see what the forum can come up with...:D

OP
M

minime

Jan 12, 2008
Liverpool U.K
Parrots
This is it...its all done. I finished the trunk and worked the branch they are sitting on today, then spent an hour cleaning up the white (eraser EVERYWHERE!). Total time 29 hours. Next is the Green Wing Macaws, but I may stick a sly little one in between I am thinking of. Will of course, keep you all posted.

So, its off to Manchester next to have it scanned, then over to Pickering to have the digital file colour adjusted and then finally printed. For those who have pre-ordered this print, I will have a far better idea of prices in a week or two, but I am offering it in two sizes. A2 - the original size, and A3 - half size (for smaller homes/walls), and so it will be two prices. The prices given from orders I get from the forum will be different from the prices quoted to anyone buying from other sources (printers/ebay etc) when I eventually sort out how the best way to move the prints. You will of course get the better price here. I am not greedy folks, I am gaining far more from the fact that you lot like this enough to put in on your walls! Any profit will go towards further developments in my art work. Cheers. Ian

So...here it...picked by you...named by you...

..........Shades of Grey.........

finished006.jpg

Last edited:

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Very nice! What a lovely picture.
Heres just a suggestion for the next one starring greenwings: make sure the branch they are on has some chew marks:).
Well done.

ermanie

Jul 12, 2009
Colorado
Parrots
African Grey
OMG amazing....Thank you for sharing your talents of my favorite species...Even though I am a new owner I fell in love with it a long time ago...Again Thanks..

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
WoW
That is so beautifully done, wish I had your talent.
How did you do it, using what program etc.
I am LOST for words
WELL DONE !!!!!!!!

OP
M

minime

Jan 12, 2008
Liverpool U.K
Parrots
Hey all, I am still around, and you can still get hold of me...not been on as work has taken hold of far too much of my life at the moment. I have tried three different printing routes for this picture as a number of people have shown an interest in purchasinf one, but as of yet, it is proving to be either A) a very wasteful prospect (lithograph - minimumof 1000 prints and 30 ordered), B) very time consuming and costly (purchasing an A3 printer and doing them myself) or C) time consuming and a worry (sending the original across the country to have it scanned, colour corrected then printed as a giclee print)...still on the cards though...just taking longer than I thought it would. Keep you posted. Cheers. MM

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
So much talent. Thanks for sharing your picture. I do have a small question. Why is it that the African Grey species congo is so much more in the public eye than Timneh?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Perhaps it's less embarrassing to to speak of. Typing it is one thing, but I haven't the slightest clue how to say "Timneh"; I'd probably sound like an idiot just trying.

aries

Aug 23, 2009
fresno
Parrots
african grey,congo, senegal parrot
wow thats beautifull u should b proud of urself, great job jeeze...

Daudgiscidade

Banned
Banned
Dec 14, 2009
Luxemburg
Parrots
Daudgiscidade
Excellent site! Great work! Cheers!

I found this site using google.com. And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really excellent site. Great work, great site! Cheers!Sorry for offtopic

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
WOW! your work is GEORGOUS! absolutely stunning. I am a fellow artist and you have inspired me! Thank you so much for sharing.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Beilana, I didn't know you were an artist. Very cool!

I'm an artist myself, and I especially enjoy drawing birds. I wish I had some nice colored pencils to make my art come to life, but right now I just sketch it.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
minime - Top Stuff! love your artwork. I love to sketch parrots but haven't for a long time

I was lucky enough to be taught the art of oil painting for many years when I was younger and made it a bit of a hobby through my teen years. And of course birds were my favourite source of inspiration. But unfortunately life gets you and you drift away from these things. I still get to do lots of design drawing (but this is not as much fun:)). Its nice to know there are some other artists out there producing amazing artworks.

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Beilana, I didn't know you were an artist. Very cool!

I'm an artist myself, and I especially enjoy drawing birds. I wish I had some nice colored pencils to make my art come to life, but right now I just sketch it.

Thats awesome! I havnt drawn birds for a very long time. Im going to start again :) Coloured pencils are wonderful! Have you ever tried using tracing paper or rice paper with coloured pencils? It blends and spreads them wonderfully.

minime - Top Stuff! love your artwork. I love to sketch parrots but haven't for a long time

I was lucky enough to be taught the art of oil painting for many years when I was younger and made it a bit of a hobby through my teen years. And of course birds were my favourite source of inspiration. But unfortunately life gets you and you drift away from these things. I still get to do lots of design drawing (but this is not as much fun:)). Its nice to know there are some other artists out there producing amazing artworks.

I know how that can be. As soon as life gets the least bit busy its hard to make time for it. I should take more time out of my day to sketch/paint/draw. I remember loving it so much as a kid and I love it still but Ive taken the craft for granted at times.

Most Reactions

Latest posts