Aggressive Lovebird

joh

Jan 29, 2014
Hello,
I have recently adopted a lovebird. She (I think it is a she as has shown nesting behaviour) used to be a childcare centre's pet so has been poked and prodded and screamed at by kids. I think this is why she is aggressive now. I can't place my hand in or on the cage without being bitten. She does enjoy having company though and if I have not been in the same room as her for a while she will squawk until I come talk to her. I have been trying to get her used to me by feeding her pieces of fruit by hand and by sitting next to the cage and just talking to her. Will this help at all? Or is there some other way to get her more comfortable with me?

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Aw, the poor little thing. I am against childcare places having class pets. It may take her a long time but being around her and giving her some time and space should help. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

But your story reminds me of something that I experienced a few months ago. I was a a nursing home and they had this poor little lovebird in a cage down a long hall by vending machines. It looked so sad. It didn't have adequate toys to play with. I wrote the nursing home a letter about how unhappy I was to see the bird alone down a hallway without proper stimulation. I wanted to rescue it, really.

My mother went back and she said that he has all kinds of toys now and they have upped his care but he is still in the same spot. She spoke to someone about him and they said the residents do come down to visit and that his partner died and he hasn't been the same since. :(

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack. I hope you get help with her. I think she will come around with proper training and guidance.

How long have you had her? It can take them a month to get use to their new surroundings (or so I have read.)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What your doing does help but it's just gonna take her quite some time for her to trust you since she was poke on and scared by little kids. Birds doesn't belong in such places! Just keep on doing what your doing and one day she will come around. Lovebirds are really high strong birds that can be super territorial in their space (cage) which they feel safe in. That's not easy to break. Just take your time and be patient. Good luck! :)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
well, what the others said :D

BUT, female hormonal lovebirds are very cage aggressive and often bite when their cage is invaded. try not to stick your hands in her cage any more than you have to. show her you respect her space and she will calm down around you more. that's how i worked out a way to get bit less often from our female lovebird munchlax :)

OP
J

joh

Jan 29, 2014
Thank you everyone for your replies. You've all been very helpful. I've only had her for just over a week. I know it will take time just wanted to make sure I was going about it the right way. Thanks again :)

Most Reactions