How old are lovebirds supposed to get? Theres so much conflicting information!

Sparklystars

Mar 13, 2021
Media
Hi,
I've had my lovebird Sherbet for 13 years now and I know she's old but I don't know roughly how long I have left with her.
I know different types of lovebird have different lifespans, but I can't find anywhere how long Sherbet's type lives for.
I've seen pages saying 10 years, 15, 20+.
She's a Lutino Peach-faced lovebird and I've had her since she left her parents so shes almost 14 now.

I've noticed strange behaviours in her recently and I did take her to a vet who said she probably just had anxiety and that she was fairly old.
She's a lot sleepier lately and had been plucking feathers around her neck. She doesn't have mites as I've checked and treated her. She can also be sweet one minute and then grumpy the next. She has always had an attitude but the speed at which she changes is quite quick. She is super sweet with my boyfriend (I think she has a crush 😆) but now she's even being mean to him on occasion.
Can anyone give me any guidance?

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Hi,
I've had my lovebird Sherbet for 13 years now and I know she's old but I don't know roughly how long I have left with her.
I know different types of lovebird have different lifespans, but I can't find anywhere how long Sherbet's type lives for.
I've seen pages saying 10 years, 15, 20+.
She's a Lutino Peach-faced lovebird and I've had her since she left her parents so shes almost 14 now.

I've noticed strange behaviours in her recently and I did take her to a vet who said she probably just had anxiety and that she was fairly old.
She's a lot sleepier lately and had been plucking feathers around her neck. She doesn't have mites as I've checked and treated her. She can also be sweet one minute and then grumpy the next. She has always had an attitude but the speed at which she changes is quite quick. She is super sweet with my boyfriend (I think she has a crush 😆) but now she's even being mean to him on occasion.
Can anyone give me any guidance?
this may be hormonal season for lovebirds, as my lovebird who is roughly a year old is quite aggressive to my other family members, having a little bit of mercy for me. Is your lovebird shredding paper?

the reason of plucking can be various reasons, the most common is sexual frustration where the bird either doesn't have a mate, feels lonely, or has considered a human as a mate and the human isn't capable of things she wants him/her to do. Toys, entertainment and changes is cage arrangement are effective ways to get rid of this mode.

Reason of plucking can also be skin irritation and various diseases, It might be that she has hypovitaminosis A. are her feathers ruffled? And what diet is she on? A seed only diet results in hypovitaminosis A or liver fat disease, which is both quite fatal for the bird.

As for age, it all depends on the amount of care. You have been taking care of your bird quite a lot it seems! But I am not sure how much a lutino peach faced lovebird's lifespan is as I don't see any sources either. I hope someone chimes in to help!

I hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts