Aggressive Tendencies?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Has anyone else found that Indian Ringnecks tend to suddenly become aggressive? A ringneck I once had suddenly turned on my entire family, and his mate. We had to take her away from him because the male, Howl kept attacking her.. and would've killed her if we didn't separate them. He became mature months beforehand, AMD whilst he was a little aggressive, he didn't full on turn on us and try to rip the skin from our bodies. He was a sweet hand raised ringneck, so I've never known what was wrong with him. When he went nuts his pupils would go large, small, large, small etc all day.. he looked insane and nasty. Nothing had changed in the environment or anything.

My friend also had a male ringneck who turned on her in a similat way, but not nearly as bad as our Howl.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with these birds?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sounds like puberty, parrots can become unpredicitible as hormonal aggression starts. Once they finish puberty they often calm down a little, but may get aggressive again during breeding season.

It's a mistake many people do, they think their bird suddenly becomes mean when really they're just going through puberty.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Sounds like puberty, parrots can become unpredicitible as hormonal aggression starts. Once they finish puberty they often calm down a little, but may get aggressive again during breeding season.

It's a mistake many people do, they think their bird suddenly becomes mean when really they're just going through puberty.

I thought it might be puberty.. however can Ringnecks become mature/go through puberty at only 7 months old..? He's over a year old now (and with a new owner who he absolutely ADORES.. hence why I sold him to her.. he loves her much more than he's loved anyone else) and just starting to get his neck ring.

Yeah.. my Muta (Kakariki) went through puberty at 4 months old.. *eye twitches* Sometimes I just wanted to throttle him! Haha of course I couldn't.. that's cruel and evil. But when he went through puberty.. and someone didn't 'OBEY' him.. it was my fault and I must be attacked and my feet must be scarred.. because it was of course all my fault... * eye twitches*

I just didn't think Ringnecks could mature at such an early age.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Hand raised ring necks should never be put out as breeders and sadly if you are the one who raised them they will want a "new" mate who is not mom.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hand raised ring necks should never be put out as breeders and sadly if you are the one who raised them they will want a "new" mate who is not mom.

Ah that would make more sense.. We had him inside with us normally, still as a pet. But we weren't home very often any more so we got him a girlfriend so he had company and another friend, and it also meant if they wanted to they could make babies, and they attached to each other so strongly and so well we were thrilled! He was much happier for quite a while, and then he suddenly changed. Nothing had changed for months, no new house, no new people, nothing, absolutely nothing new. He was getting his good, his lovely baths, time with us, time with his girly friend.. and then he just turned on ALL of us.. even my daughter who he'd always had a VERY strong bond with.

I guess I know never to make the same mistake again, however I'm no longer interested in the ringnecks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts