Agravating House Guests

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
Usually you would think that a very noisy household would be a screaming cockatoo but this is not the case. Cameo does have her noisy moments but we have a household of my wife (Jean) & I along with Jeans son fiancee and they`re three daughters ages 6, 3 and 7 mos. It is not so much that there is a large number of people as much as schedules. Jean & I are up early 5:30AM for work and to bed usually 9-10PM. Cameo is put to bed around 8PM and does well except when the kids stay up with they`re parents til 11PM or so. They are used to staying up very late because of they`re work schedules. They are noisy and Cameo will start squawking at them. Ofcourse they can`t just ignore Cameo they have to keep telling her to shut-up which I have stopped them from doing.
Now Cameo will start squawking even if she hears the TV. Cameos cage is in the kitchen area (dining area) and she loves to be around the family and kids during the day. Loves to watch them play. Cameo will not interact with the kids but loves all the activity. When the kids nap or if Cameo is in my office with me she gets her daily naps.
Now my issue is this. Should I move Cameos cage to a quieter spot so she does not get interrupted sleep or let her scream at night? Cameo does settle down eventually soon after they go to bed (midnight or so). They really tic me off and we`ve already have had several arguements about this. I have been letting Cameo scream at them on purpose just to agrivate them into going to bed themselves. But I don`t want to put undo stress on Cameo. She is such a great bird.
They are finally moving out in June.
Would like other opinions.:white1:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I agree with Sulphiria; maybe set up a small travel cage in another room (even in your room since they're moving out in June) to put her to "bed" in so that she can get uninterrupted sleep. Just like babies, it's very important for birds to get their rest.

Personally, I don't think kids that age should be up that late, work schedules or not. Children need 10-12 hours of sleep a night, (per my Pediatric Sleep Spe c ia list and Pulmonologist that my daughter see's) so unless they're sleeping until noon, which I doubt they're doing, the kids aren't getting enough sleep either. They are also your house guests and Cameo is a resident. Guests need to be respectful of the residents, even if they are family. Them telling the bird to shut up, keeping her up past her bed time, is disrespectful. They don't have to like it and if they can't live by the rules of the house, then they shouldn't have asked to stay. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I would move Cameo to a quiet room. You could get a second cage as a sleep cage (they even make foldable cages so you could put away easier during the day). In Rome's sleep cage I just have 1 wooden perch, 1 rope perch, 1 small toy, a bowl of water and thats it. Shes only in it from around 8-8:30p to 8-9am. We keep her sleep cage in our spare bedroom/computer room. Once shes in her cage we close the door and try not to go in there. I will say though she is one of those Toos that will sound off randomly at night (I swear they have nightmares).

And as far as the U2 being the one in the house that makes all the noise: I really think that Toos get a bad rap. I think as long as they are cared for properly they really dont scream much. Rome used to scream a lot until she transitioned into the house, now that shes comfortable with us she hardly ever screams (except for the nightmares :52:). They really are wonderful birds to have. :D

OP
terry52449

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
I asked them to leave which caused an arguement with my wife but she finally agreed it was time for them to get out. We offered to help them because they were out of work and stuff but it has been over a year now. Time to go!!!
Cameo isn`t very noisy except for about a half hour or so in the evening 6-7PM and I really think this pretty normal for Toos. Cameos sleep interruption noise isn`t normal for her and I want to stop it before it escalates.
I have a new cage being delivered today in fact but putting it together maybe another issue. I`ll be home tomorrow to put it together. I think I`ll put her into my office because she is familiar with everything in there. She`ll probably want to answer the phone like she does when I`m working at home.
Thanks for your input.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Your office would be the perfect place for him to go into. Your right about not letting his escalate his scream. They're very sensitive birds, they love daily activity, BUT once those are gone, it can cause you issues down the road. Best for them to leave before it cause you further heartache.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I totally agree. Another cage and put it in your office. They are leaving in June , so with the two cages and Cameo in another room , she should be fine .
Just stand firm on the decision to have them move !
IMO , that is awfully rude of them to stay up that late with small children and in a home that isnt theirs !!! I would have showed them the door a long time ago , you have been a wonderful host for this long , that's for sure !!
Good luck .

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I totally agree. Another cage and put it in your office. They are leaving in June , so with the two cages and Cameo in another room , she should be fine .
Just stand firm on the decision to have them move !
IMO , that is awfully rude of them to stay up that late with small children and in a home that isnt theirs !!! I would have showed them the door a long time ago , you have been a wonderful host for this long , that's for sure !!
Good luck .

Sooo glad I'm not the only one seeing it that way!

OP
terry52449

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
I just got the new cage yesterday and will get it together ASAP. Top on my list of things to do.
Thanks for all your INPUT I appreciated it.
I hate moving her but I know Cameo will sleep much better in my office. I`ll put the new play gym in the kitchen where she can be when I am not working in the office. And she can be apart of the family still.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I just got the new cage yesterday and will get it together ASAP. Top on my list of things to do.
Thanks for all your INPUT I appreciated it.
I hate moving her but I know Cameo will sleep much better in my office. I`ll put the new play gym in the kitchen where she can be when I am not working in the office. And she can be apart of the family still.

Great ! Im sure she will appreciate not being yelled at and getting a full nights sleep too :) And she will still be able to have interactions with your family.
You a great "Dad". :)
Good luck with everything too .
:white1::white1:

Most Reactions