Agressive new Budgie - how can I help him acclimate?

Marti

Jan 11, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
2 parakeets, Poppy and Belle
I recently got a new budgie (Poppy). I realized one could be lonely, so I got a second bird (Belle), which was a cage-mate prior to my bringing them both home... a week apart.
I spent much time observing both birds before choosing, to see how aggressive they were in a flock. The two I picked seemed to avoid conflict in the cage.
Poppy was perfect. He is so sweet and on the way to being finger trained. Belle, however, is nervous and always nips at Poppy.
Will they ever be friends?

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
yes i think they will be great friends everytime i intruduce birds they always nip at each other and then end up being buddies or even married lol

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your new budgies! They're sooo adorable I'm tempted to get one everytime I go to the petstore. But I have PLENTY of bird companionship at the moment ;)

Anyway, it sounds to me like they are in the process of getting to know each other and establishing their "pecking order." No pun intended. Basically...I'm the boss, you aren't. Period!

Once that's established, they'll probably be the best of buds.

Again, congrats! Do you have any pic's you could share?

Toni

Most Reactions