Air filters????

Kaybrauer

Jul 13, 2010
Long Island, New York
Parrots
8 Parakeets, 6 Cockatiels and and awesome Grey.
Hey guys, can anyone recomend an Air filter for my bird/computer room? Something that will help take some of the dander out of the room. Thanx =-)

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
There are a few old threads about this, you could try searching for them.

My recommendation is always go simple. There are so many "air filtration" systems on the market now that are just all hype and advertising but they don't actually do anything for air quality. Some of these high priced fancy things can even be potentially dangerous (ozone creating, etc).

Pick up a simple HEPA filter. The unit should just have a fan and a replaceable HEPA paper-like filter.

Time and time again these are proven to be more effective than their more expensive counterparts. They're simple, and they work.

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
I have heard nothing but good reviews on the rabbitair.com filters.

Just make sure you avoid the ones with an ionizer or an ozone generator.

I personally have a Honeywell True Hepa filter that I love, but I admit it is on the noisy side.

According to everything I have read, you want to get the highest CADR you can afford with a HEPA and carbon filter and rated for slightly larger than the room you are buying it for. Like if you have a room that is 100sqft, get one for 120sqft or so.

Greys produce a lot of dander, so I definitely think you should get one! And see about getting one with permafilters(those are the kind you can wash/vacuum clean instead of buying a new one constantly).

ETA: AD posted with me. I agree there are a LOT with hype. Mine is a literally fan with a filter and has a CADR of 130, while some of the fancier ones on the same shelf were twice as much with CADRs of 80/90.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I've seen some with washable first stage or pre-filters - basically just a foam screen. These can help lengthen the life of the HEPA filter, but a HEPA filter must be replaced - they are not washable and they do wear out.

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
I've seen some with washable first stage or pre-filters - basically just a foam screen. These can help lengthen the life of the HEPA filter, but a HEPA filter must be replaced - they are not washable and they do wear out.
Yes they are not washable. I'm curious about the quality of these "permanent HEPA filters" though. Mine has one, you have to use the carbon prefilter and then vacuum the HEPA each time you clean the prefilter. The HEPA is supposed to last 2-3 years(so much for "permanent"). I've seen others that also have the "permanent HEPA" that requires vacuuming.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have had a Rabbit Air for a few months now and they don't come any better. Yes it is high priced but in this case you get what you pay for.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
As AD metioned Kay, we've done at least a couple of threads on filters in the last month and a half or so, there was a lot of good info, would be well worth a search :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts