Ion air filter???

Lucho

Jul 16, 2023
Parrots
Plum Headed parakeet, canary winged parakeet.
I was just reading that ion air filters create ozone and can kill small birds so I checked the air filter in my birds room and it is an ion air filter. It has been on in my birds room constantly for the last month until I removed it about 5 minutes ago. I read that some have a button that turns the ion off but mine doesnā€™t itā€™s just constantly like that. Is this long enough for it to have caused my bids any damage? They are both acting completely fine but I read that someone had it on for 3 days and it killed their bird. It is on the complete opposite side of the room to their cages but one of my birds likes to perch about a foot away from it. Is there any way to improve their respiratory system if this did cause any harm or is it irreversible?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ozone is dangerous for "Birds"!!

That said, different units use different levels of Ozone based on their designed use! Hotel / Commercial / High-Quality units place a very high level of Ozone into the air. Less expensive units, not so much!

It would seem that you have gotten very lucky!!

Ozone permanently damages their Air Sack (Lungs) and with great luck and much time minor improvements overtime can occur.

Be very careful if they come down with infections, especially infections of the Air Sacks. Any sign of breathing problems is a mad dash to the Avian Vet's Clinic!

Short of removing the Ozone unit or a least cutting it's wires and assuring that is done safely, replace the unit!

OP
L

Lucho

Jul 16, 2023
Parrots
Plum Headed parakeet, canary winged parakeet.

That said, different units use different levels of Ozone based on their designed use! Hotel / Commercial / High-Quality units place a very high level of Ozone into the air. Less expensive units, not so much!

Ozone permanently damages their Air Sack (Lungs) and with great luck and much time minor improvements overtime can occur.

Be very careful if they come down with infections, especially infections of the Air Sacks. Any sign of breathing problems is a mad dash to the Avian Vet's Clinic!

Short of removing the Ozone unit or a least cutting it's wires and assuring that is done safely, replace the unit!
Thank you for the response. Is there any way that they didnā€™t sustain any damage to their air sack? I have been watching their breathing and it seems to be completely normal. Neither have been coughing or making any strange noises and their breathing is perfectly clear. Iā€™m making vet appointments just to be safe but is there any way Iā€™ve gotten extremely lucky and theyā€™re totally fine or is the damage just hidden?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I read some interesting things about ozone generators, which are never used when people or pets are present, vs. ionizers for home use as the "third stage" of home air "purification". The first is pre-filter, often with carbon for odors, the second is HEPA. These two are all that's needed but most people buy undersized units which don't help enough, especially when bird dust is involved.

Obviously the home "air purification" industry has latched into people's pandemic paranoia and has convinced people that air borne microbes in their own homes need to be destroyed by ozone or they will get sick, hence the "third stage" of "purification". This is no more than an added expense and probably won't hurt anyone (but maybe birds) and is totally unnecessary. We don't live in a sterile environment, never will, and shouldn't aim to.

If you worry about the safety of third stage ionizing/ozoning/UV then don't use that stage. If you can't turn it off then don't use it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts