AIR SAC MITES-photo sensitive

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I breed gouldian finches. I find them so breathtaking.

not very often do we get to see inside a bird after an illness. I just wanted to share with you the damage air sac mites can cause, not just in gouldians but in all birds. Not so much with the larger parrots, but more the smaller type birds.

Unfortunately, I lost two of my males to air sac mites a few months back
I've never had them EVER!, and these two males came from different breeders, never came in contact with one another, and died, a day apart from each other....maybe a coincidence, but I don't think so.
both female mates are fine.

Anyways, I cried for two days, one was very special to me, I named him Spaz.
he was a gorgeous green back, red face, white chest with a yellow belly.
Pumpkin was a beautiful orange face green back, I only had him a month!
I figured one or both came in with them, and laid dormant inside them.
Neither of them appeared sick when I purchased them, but never ever will I return to those breeders again.:mad::mad:...and these guys were reputable!!

when I had the necropsy done on both my males, Links Road Animal Clinic, in Toronto sent me the pictures of the air sac mites they found inside both of the birds.

Apparently air sac mites cause ulcers as well...which would make sense, not only do they clog the trachea inside a bird by multiplying, they also feed off them from the inside, making them bleed internally.

I had treated them and quarantined them when I brought them home, but treatment should have been repeated and I forgot....a mistake I will never make again.

here are some pics of the air sac mites they found:

Trachealmites-1_zpsadf42fa0.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

I can't seem to load the other picture....sorry

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: Yowser, they look like something straight out of a horror movie!

I'm so very sorry you lost 2 gorgeous males to them. :( Of all finches, I absolutely find the Gouldians to be the most breathtaking.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
the only good thing that came out of this was Spaz produced 1 baby that looks just like him!....he's very ruff looking right now. he's 4-5 months old, and I named him Spaz jr.....but he is gorgeous to me, I love him with all my heart.

IMG_2121_zpsaf4da1a2.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
the only good thing that came out of this was Spaz produced 1 baby that looks just like him!....he's very ruff looking right now. he's 4-5 months old, and I named him Spaz jr.....but he is gorgeous to me, I love him with all my heart.

IMG_2121_zpsaf4da1a2.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

WHAT a knockout Spaz Jr. is! Is he molting?

yup, and he still sings everyday!, what a trooper. actually 3 of my females are moulting. this is when they start moulting, they rest for three months to prepare for the upcoming breeding season which starts in September- January
so hopefully starting in the fall, I will have little peeps.

here is a pic. of my blueback(male) and yellow back(female), she is also split to blue, which means offspring chicks will be either be blue or yellow.sp/blue

P1100321_zps2b2160ef.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Leonard - White-Wing Parakeet
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Have you mentioned the infestation to either of the two breeders? It's possible that, if the mites were dormant as you say, or not in numbers high enough to cause a noticeable problem, that one of the breeders could well have them without even knowing it.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Have you mentioned the infestation to either of the two breeders? It's possible that, if the mites were dormant as you say, or not in numbers high enough to cause a noticeable problem, that one of the breeders could well have them without even knowing it.

that is true, I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but not when it comes to purchasing any animal.
it's the breeders responsibility to ensure that gouldians are treated to prevent air sac mites, and sell a healthy bird.
when I visited both breeders, I asked BOTH of them, if they have had any type of mites, and both said 'no'.

when you look at the conditions of the cages, the behaviour of the bird, ie: does it look sick, or healthy, and you get a feel for the breeders personality, I felt comfortable enough that he was being honest.
don't get me wrong, maybe he had no idea, but I have been breeding for years, and when you get a bird with air sac mites, it can wipe out your entire flock, in a matter of weeks, and have a whopping vet bill!!
not only did I loose 2 prize gouldians @ $100.00 each, the vet bill for the necropsy cost $250.00 with tax. that is a huge profit loss, but more importantly I lost Spaz, who is still think of everyday with a heavy heart, and Pumpkin.

Even though I breed, everyone of my birds has a name, I love each and every one of them, and ensure that they remain healthy.
I was my fault for not continuing the treatment, had I done that, they would have lived and not suffered the way they did.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Crimson,
So sorry for your loss and the heaviness the loss leaves in your heart. Please, do forgive yourself. Mistakes happen, but it does not diminish your love and the nice life you gave to Spaz and Pumpkin while they were with you.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I aam sorry for your loss but your birds are just beautiful:)

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I'm so sorry for you loss!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Crimson,
So sorry for your loss and the heaviness the loss leaves in your heart. Please, do forgive yourself. Mistakes happen, but it does not diminish your love and the nice life you gave to Spaz and Pumpkin while they were with you.

thank you for such kind words!...I have forgiven myself, but it's more regret that I didn't follow up, that's all.

But I realized had these two not died, they would have infected not only their mates, but my other birds as well, all 20 of them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts