alexandrine in nj :(

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Why are people ignorant/don't care about the law when it comes to there birds? There is someone in snj c/l selling a alexandrine parrot. Dont they know they are illegal and if the state finds out they will take the bird and put it down just because. I just hope this person heeds my warning i sent them and gets the bird out of state as I'd hate to think the bird was killed due to the ignorance of the owner.

Sorry for the rant, but it just fustrates me when a animal life is on the line due to ignorance.

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
If this is posted in the wrong section I apologize.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Why are Alex's illegal in NJ?

MenomaMinx

Oct 20, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
Kumiko the Calico Macaw DNA sexed female 8 years old:On her second month as a service animal–I'm very proud of her:-)
you can own them legally(just not sell them, as two high profile bird stores in nj do).
NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - Potentially Dangerous Species

lots of legal red tape:

"

(b) The Department, at its discretion, may issue a permit for possession of a potentially dangerous species only after a clear showing that the criteria for the possession of such potentially dangerous species have been met.
CRITERIA FOR THE POSSESSION OF POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SPECIES
The following information is in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.9.
(a) In addition to the general criteria in section 7:25-4.7, every person applying for a permit to possess potentially dangerous species shall meet each and every of the following criteria to the satisfaction of the Division:
1. Education and Background: Persons wishing to apply for a permit to possess a potentially dangerous species must have extensive experience in maintaining the species desired or related species.
2. Knowledge: Persons wishing to apply for a permit to possess potentially dangerous species must demonstrate a working knowledge and expertise in handling and caring for each of the species desired.
3. Protection of the Public: The housing facilities shall also be constructed to prevent public access to and contact with the animal. The potentially dangerous species shall not be kept as a pet, for hobby purposes or in situations, which, in the judgement of the Department, could adversely affect the health of the animal or which could constitute a hazard to the public.
4. Purpose and Intent: Persons applying to possess potentially dangerous species must submit a written statement of the purpose and intent of keeping the species.
5. Housing and Feeding: Persons applying for a permit to possess a potentially dangerous species must supply a written description of the housing and caging facilities for the species required. A summary must be submitted of a continuous source of food for the specific diet of the animals. Division personnel may inspect the completed facilities to determine if the facilities are suitable for the animal. Facilities must be constructed to prevent the possible escape of the animal. 6. Other Restrictions: Under no circumstances shall a person issued a pet shop or animal dealer permit possess any potentially dangerous species on the commercial premises, except in emergencies and for a limited period of time as stipulated by the Department in writing and subsequently agreed to by the animal dealer or pet shop owner, who shall assume full responsibility for the safety and welfare of both the animal and the public during its temporary storage. A potentially dangerous animal already on display at the premises of a pet shop or animal dealer and already under a permit for such display as of January 17, 1995 may remain so displayed under the terms and conditions of that permit for the lifetime of that animal.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For further information or clarification call the Exotic and Nongame Permits Office at 908-735-5450 or e-mail [email protected]. "[/FONT]

I wish everyone ever forced to give their bird had easy access to this info,I had to dig for it.

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Well I hope it is properly permitted so nothing can come of it. It would be sad if the state took the bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts