Alexandrines?

Tay2000

Mar 29, 2014
Western Australia
Parrots
Rio- Alexandrine parrot
What other parrot would go best with an Alexandrine parakeet so it can be kept company by it while I'm at school? Thanks

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Parrots are very much like people- there's not a specific reason people make friends other than they just get along, same with birds. You'll see people on the forum say this all the time- Never get a bird for your bird, get a bird for YOU.
Getting a second bird, especially one near the size/sound level of an Alexandrine, that's double the cages, double the mess, food, cost, sound, etc.
Also, in the event that your Alex hates the new bird, or vice versa, it's definitely going to be double the ATTENTION, or else you'll have two very grumpy attention deprived birds.
I can't recommend a specific type of bird, as I've never had Alexandrines so I'm not sure how they do in flocks(Like how caiques tend to do exceptionally well in pairs) but always make sure you're going to have the time and resources to spend with your current fid, and your new one should you choose to purchase/adopt another.
Not trying to sound rude or anything- so please don't think I'm trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to get you to see the other side of the coin, yknow? I know my Kiwi (conure) HATES any other bird that comes into my apartment(Except for her cage-mate.). She'll even hold a grudge against me for it! It's just something to be considered. :)

OP
Tay2000

Tay2000

Mar 29, 2014
Western Australia
Parrots
Rio- Alexandrine parrot
Parrots are very much like people- there's not a specific reason people make friends other than they just get along, same with birds. You'll see people on the forum say this all the time- Never get a bird for your bird, get a bird for YOU.
Getting a second bird, especially one near the size/sound level of an Alexandrine, that's double the cages, double the mess, food, cost, sound, etc.
Also, in the event that your Alex hates the new bird, or vice versa, it's definitely going to be double the ATTENTION, or else you'll have two very grumpy attention deprived birds.
I can't recommend a specific type of bird, as I've never had Alexandrines so I'm not sure how they do in flocks(Like how caiques tend to do exceptionally well in pairs) but always make sure you're going to have the time and resources to spend with your current fid, and your new one should you choose to purchase/adopt another.
Not trying to sound rude or anything- so please don't think I'm trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to get you to see the other side of the coin, yknow? I know my Kiwi (conure) HATES any other bird that comes into my apartment(Except for her cage-mate.). She'll even hold a grudge against me for it! It's just something to be considered. :)

Thankyou! And I don't think you were rude at all:) it helped me a lot!! Thanks, tay

Most Reactions

Latest posts