All thumbs!

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Ok, now first off ... iffen you guys laugh out loud, it is perfectly fine.

But, we now have this wonderful rope grid (SIX FEET BY THREE FEET) monsterous play toy for the birdies ... but, it is still sitting on the floor. Unhung, in a heap.

My husband and I are, well, ummm, mechanically challenged, one might say. Iffen we needed to hang a picture, we would work in tandem with hammer and nail and after about 16 hours have it hung CROOKED. LOL ROFLMAO

So, this weekend, we will be ATTEMPTING to hang the rope grid. We will have to determine the hardware necessary, the placement, and the method.

This should be a sight to see! We will, invariably, have at least one argument, one thumb will get hammered by accident, and someone is sure to fall off the ladder AT LEAST ONCE! (Hope not me! LOL).

Somehow, someway we will get this blasted thing hung up so the fiddies can enjoy it! ***Deanna runs to get band-aids, gauze, tape, the cell phone (to call 9-1-1), and a hammer and screw driver*** ... ok, now, we're ready!! :eek:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Very easy ... get some climbing carabeaners, then get screw hooks ... this should be a pretty easy installation ...

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Very easy ... get some climbing carabeaners, then get screw hooks ... this should be a pretty easy installation ...

Hey, Tex and Christy, what are you both doing, say around 10 o'clock Saturday morning??

LOL ... Thanks Tex, I hadn't thought of the carabeaners ... "sounds easy" ... :p

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... well, let's see ... You're in Colorado, we're in NH ... let's see 10 am your time is 12 pm our time ... I will be at work, and so will Christy ... sorry!

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
... well, let's see ... You're in Colorado, we're in NH ... let's see 10 am your time is 12 pm our time ... I will be at work, and so will Christy ... sorry!

ah shoot! you two are gonna miss all the fun!! :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Take pictures ... of the final project ... but keep the scarring on your fingers to a minimum for everyone sake!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I wanna see videos of this. :18:

I may even hop on a plane, no not to help out, but just to watch. If I run I may just make it in time.

:18: :18: :18: :18:

sorry but you did say it would be okay to laugh didn't you? I wish you both a very safe and happy time, just think of the fun your fids are gonna have (and us when we hear just how it all went.)

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
You could hang it with eye hooks and then those big strong clip things (the one side moves to put things through). The eye hooks (a screw with a round looped end) into the wall or ceiling and then the clips onto the rope grid. Would also allow you to take it down to clean or replace or whatever. Just make sure whatever you do that it is attached to studs (so its secure and wont fall down).

If you used the eye hooks and clips you could also set it up so there are more than one set of eye hooks - that way you could put the grid in different places (like maybe in front of a window, mby their play stand / cages etc. Just a thought.

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
...Just make sure whatever you do that it is attached to studs (so its secure and wont fall down). ...

*Deanna Perks Up* , "Did someone say stud? Is there a STUD in the room? Where??"

indigo, those are excellent ideas, thanks! i could set up six hangers and move it from one side of the room to the other quite easily. and, yes, i LOVE studs! i even have a stud-finder--woo hoo, this could get dangerous!! LOL

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
*Deanna Perks Up* , "Did someone say stud? Is there a STUD in the room? Where??"

Its just Tex.....or at least he thinks its just Tex ;)

You guys will do fine in hanging your toy. Your birds are going to be so lucky!!! Let us know how the final product comes out. I would really like to se pictures!!!

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure

You guys will do fine in hanging your toy. Your birds are going to be so lucky!!! Let us know how the final product comes out. I would really like to see pictures!!!

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots

Oh, I hadn't given that possibility a thought! It really is best if Tex stay a few states away lest he interfer with my studfinder! Why, he possibly might blow the thing up iffen he was in the same room!! :eek:

Studly Tex! :18:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
"Did someone say stud? Is there a STUD in the room? Where??"

Tooooooooooooo late gal, I've already snapped him up, Thats just part of the job description, being allowed first dips with the STUDS that happen to walk through here. :18:

Chrisy, you get to keep Tex, and your not allowed to try to get rid of him, well not till you've been married for at least 5 years. :18:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
*Takes my turn hitting on Tex*

do you have a mirror in your pocket 'cause I can see myself in your pants

(was that inappropriate?)

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
*Takes my turn hitting on Tex*

do you have a mirror in your pocket 'cause I can see myself in your pants

(was that inappropriate?)

:eek: :D :p
*Deanna falls out of her chair in histerical laughter!* :D

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
hehehe ... that was actually used on me and the person was not just kidding around (but very very drunk) .... ok end of story lol

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
What is your birdie net thing made of as in what kind of rope? I am thinking about making one for my guys but don't want to use the wrong thing. Any kind of rope I should avoid?

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
woooooooohoooohohhohooooo! We got the thing hung!!! *boggle*! :eek: :cool:

indigo, this is made of Abaca (http://www.avianlove.com/category/Get_A_Grip/c85) ... the site doesn't give any information as to exactly what Abaca is ... though.

I'm not a good resource for roping materials ... but I'll bet someone will be around shortly and give some good input.

I had to hang it right at the entrance into my office, not ideal, but it'll work and I'm just glad it's hung and finished. My stud finder wasn't working properly and I drilled about 10 extra holes in the ceiling :eek: only to find empty space; no stud. All that talk about hot, sizzling studs earlier, I must have drained the battery on my stud finder from the shear excitement of it all!

I would like to have it stretched out more, but if I did, it would be too high for me to reach, so I think it is going to work out better than I think.

Now, I just need to get my photo software loaded onto my laptop so I can shoot some pics and get them posted. I literally just finished hanging it and haven't had a chance to get Moj and Cec out on it. We are going to load it up with Pinyon nuts and almonds and peanuts first. I'm trying to figure out the best we to put toys on it too. Woo hoo! We did it!!! :35:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaca

abaca aka manila hemp

Abacá, from Spanish "abacá", pronounced [ɑ.bə.ˈkɑ] ("ah buh KAH"), (Musa textilis) is a species of banana native to the Philippines, grown widely as well in Borneo and Sumatra. The plant is of great economic importance, being harvested for its fibre, called Manila hemp, extracted from the large, oblong leaves and stems. On average, the plant grows about 20 feet (6 meters) tall. The fibre is used for making twines and ropes. The plant's name is sometimes spelt Abaká. It was first cultivated on a large scale in Sumatra in 1925 under the Dutch, who had observed its cultivation in the Philippines for cordage since the 1800s, followed up by plantings in Central America sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture[1]. Commercial planting began in 1930 in British North Borneo; with the commencement of WWII, the supply from the Philippines was eliminated by the Japanese[1].

Other common names for Manila hemp include "Cebu hemp" and "Davao hemp".

Composition

The leaves grow from the trunk of the plant, and the bases of the leaves form a sheath (covering) around the trunk; there are approximately 25 of these, with 5 cm in diameter and from 12 to 25 leaves with overlapping petioles, covering the stalk to form a shrub or "false trunk" about 30 to 40 cm in diameter[1]. They grow in succession, with the oldest growing from the bottom of the trunk and successively younger ones from the top. The sheaths contain the valuable fibre. The coarse fibres range from 5 to 11½ feet (1.5 to 3.5 metres) in length. They are composed primarily of the plant materials such as cellulose, lignin, and pectin. After the fibre has been separated, it is sold under the name Manila, the capital of the Philippines

Harvesting

The plant is normally grown in well-drained loamy soil, using pieces of mature root planted at the start of the rainy season[1]. Growers harvest abacá fields every three to eight months after an initial growth period of 18-25 months and a total lifespan of about 10 years[1]. Harvest generally includes having several operations concerning the leaf sheaths:

* tuxying (separation of primary and secondary sheath)
* stripping (getting the fibers)
* drying (usually following tradition of sun-drying).

The fibers can then be spun into twines or cordage.

Applications

Abacá rope is very durable, flexible and resistant to salt water damage (for this reason it is often used in ropes, hawsers, lines on ships and for things like fishing nets[1] . It can also be used to make handcrafted products like bags, carpets, clothing, and furniture. The fibers can also be pulped and then processed into specialty paper such as tea bags, vacuum bags, currency paper, special paper, and more.

Scientific classification

The abacá plant belongs to the banana family, Musaceae; it resembles its closely related cousin plant, the Musa sapientum. Its scientific name is Musa textilis.

That all is from wikipedia.org. Basically it is a type of hemp which is kindda what I was thinking it looked like.

Last edited:

Most Reactions