Allergies in Eccys?

sam1976

Jan 8, 2016
Brian is my nearly 2 year old Eccy. He has been with me since he was 3 months old.

Every few months he goes through a few weeks of sneezing and scratching his nares. Last time one bled slightly as he kept sticking his toenail in it!

We have been to a vet, did blood tests and no signs of any infections.

So again today we have bouts of sneezing, itchy nose and clear discharge resulting in wet nares. He is currently attempting to demolish my computer chair so is not unwell!

I suffer from allergic rhinitis and I would swear this is Brian's problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I don't have any experience with this, though a friend of mine had an ekkie with similarly intermittent symptoms. And in her case, yes, it wound up being something in her ekkie's environment.

Consider all of those times that your ekkie starts having these episodes. Is there anything in the environment that is different from the usual during those times? Could be anything. Raised heat. Turning on central air. Change of seasons.

When it begins, you can also check the humidity levels. Overly dry environments can wreak havoc with ekkies.

Let me ask, though, was the vet you took him to an avian vet? If not, you might want to find one and go there. If only to rule out anything else.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My conure also went through something similar but his wasn't sneezing but intermittent wheezing and labored breathing. The vet suspected it could possibly be an allergy but indicated there isn't a lot of information regarding allergies in parrots. He did give me anti inflammatory drops to use if he became symptomatic again. I used them once and they seemed to help. He hasn't had any further problems lately though, thankfully.

OP
S

sam1976

Jan 8, 2016
The vet was an avian vet. However, I live in NZ so do not have a big choice of vet professionals.

Today he is fine. Hardly sneezing at all. It is summer here so it could be pollen from plants or trees. The weather has been quite humid though.

He had the full range of blood tests and everything was good. He did have an elevated potassium level but the Vet thought that was probably a falsely elevated reading.

Like I say hes not unwell but is currently being very naughty and trying to steal my glasses! :green2:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
One other question. Did the vet check for any signs of sinus infection? Or did he just go by the blood tests? I just looked over your original post again, and it's the nasal discharge that worries me more than anything else.

That said, though, the friend I'd mentioned earlier in the thread whose ekkie had similarly intermittent symptoms also lives in NZ. So it may well be something in the air. I just want to rule out any possibility of sinus infection.

Most Reactions

Latest posts