always had this

marley

Jan 15, 2012
Hi,I have a Congo that has had watery urine since I purchased her. She is now around 9 months old and I feed her roudy bush since day 1. Sometimes its very solid and green, sometimes its very watery and clear. She seems very happy and active. She also has a Berry largecage with toys to play with. I change her water twice a day and her pellets every 2 days. She eats well and looks extremely health weight wise. Colors are good but her tail feathers look kind of beat up. She seems to work or her tail feathers a lot. She also loves taking a dive off the cage but always lands safely. I'm thinking her tail is like that because of the dives she takes, but I could be wrong.

I may need some help in this matter because I don't know if these are real issues I should be concerned about

Thank you

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Is she eating anything other than the RB? Fruits and veggies can affect volume and color/consistency of the urate output in the droppings. The fecal output should be pretty well defined, but the urine can change. Somedays with Kazi it's opaque and whitish with only a small volume and other times it's a lot and very watery. Just depends on what he's been eating beforehand.

Has she ever seen a vet? If so, she was healthy then and she's acting normally now I probably wouldn't worry much, but if she hasn't, or she's not eating any fruits/veggies then I would take her in, if nothing else for my own peace of mind. Birds, like cats, hide illness really well and they can go from seeming just fine to emergency in no time flat.

OP
marley

marley

Jan 15, 2012
Never seen a vet and she only eats RB. Once in while I chop up a fuji (she refuses to eat any other type) apple for her.

I don't trust vets n had issues with my 30yr grey before she passed after i took her to the vet.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
If possible find an avian vet you can trust, even if it's a long drive, they will be your ally and the best possible source of information and help if/when you need it. Plus I speak from experience when I say having a relationship with a vet means better and faster emergency care for our companions. I have been able to rush dogs and cats to the their vet's office when they've suddenly taken ill without a call or appointment. I just show up and because I'm an established client the vet generally sees me immediately or very shortly after I arrive in those situations. Plus he knows me and the history of the dogs and cats. This is invaluable when I need it and it saves me a great deal of stress and worry. I've established a relationship with Kazi's vet for the same reason. He was perfectly healthy when I adopted him, but we went in anyway and got a CBC and liver/renal function test done to make sure. It was pricey, but worth it. Now I have an established relationship with an avian vet I trust and the vet has a baseline of Kazi's health so we can more easily spot any potential problems.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a vet, but don't discount all of them. They're a valuable resource, especially when it comes to exotics.

Honestly, if she were my bird and her droppings were that varied when her diet wasn't, I'd be at the vet with a quickness. In any animal inconsistent droppings when the environment hasn't changed is an indication that they may not be getting all the nutrients or hydration they need at the very least and should be checked out.

OP
marley

marley

Jan 15, 2012
If possible find an avian vet you can trust, even if it's a long drive, they will be your ally and the best possible source of information and help if/when you need it. Plus I speak from experience when I say having a relationship with a vet means better and faster emergency care for our companions. I have been able to rush dogs and cats to the their vet's office when they've suddenly taken ill without a call or appointment. I just show up and because I'm an established client the vet generally sees me immediately or very shortly after I arrive in those situations. Plus he knows me and the history of the dogs and cats. This is invaluable when I need it and it saves me a great deal of stress and worry. I've established a relationship with Kazi's vet for the same reason. He was perfectly healthy when I adopted him, but we went in anyway and got a CBC and liver/renal function test done to make sure. It was pricey, but worth it. Now I have an established relationship with an avian vet I trust and the vet has a baseline of Kazi's health so we can more easily spot any potential problems.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a vet, but don't discount all of them. They're a valuable resource, especially when it comes to exotics.

Honestly, if she were my bird and her droppings were that varied when her diet wasn't, I'd be at the vet with a quickness. In any animal inconsistent droppings when the environment hasn't changed is an indication that they may not be getting all the nutrients or hydration they need at the very least and should be checked out.

Ill give it a thought and will call the breeder an see what she recommends

Thank you

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Polyuria refers to excessive urine production as indicated by more water than usual around the dropping.

The most common cause of polyuria is the normal body response to taking into the body more fluids than usual by the bird eating a lot of fresh juicy greens & fruits. This is of no concern as long as it stops within 12 to 24 hours of with holding the greens or fruit.

Polyuria can also be a sign of kidney disease or damage, gout, sugar or water diabeties, hormonal imbalances including those associated with ovarian cysts, oviduct disease, some cancers, syress, heavy metal and/or table salt poisoning as well as many types of infections, especially if they involve the kidneys.

All that said, feeding formula or lots of fluids is another common cause of polyuria & in this case is often nothing to worry about.

Blaine

Jan 24, 2012
Increase Stamina:

components of a safe, effective exercise program are Frequency, intensity, and time or duration,
Do not accelerate your workout time too rapidly,
If you are overweight and out of fitness....

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Even if you don't trust vets (I can understand why, I have a similar distrust for MDs), test results don't lie. You could get a fecal test and a blood panel, get then information from that, and decide what to do from there, if anything needs to be done. That's how I am.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Does your bird dip pellets in the water? Sometimes that can add more urine.

But, I would also consult a vet as well. Maybe there is a new one around since you last looked.

StRiNgROCk

Dec 21, 2011
I probably wouldn't worry much, but if she hasn't, or she's not eating any fruits or veggies then I would take her in, if nothing else for my own peace of mind. Birds, like cats, hide illness really well and they can go from seeming just fine to emergency in no time flat.

Most Reactions