Robin_Jet

Feb 1, 2024
Parrots
Jet the Cockatiel
I was studying in the kitchen when my cockatiel must have thrown up on the other side of the kitchen island. My mom and I were talking and didn't see it happen. It took a second for me to realize the sticky mess, partly clear with a little bit of pinkish orangish stuff in it with what I realized after was seeds on the kitchen counter, was also on my bird. She must have shaken her head a lot getting it out because a few seeds went all over the kitchen and she's covered in the sticky stuff.

I'm pretty sure she puked and not regurgitated since she was on the other side of the kitchen and wasn't making any regurgitation movements. The seeds were only slightly digested. She has also never regurgitated on me before so it would be a weird way to start.

She was acting a bit weird before it happened, very loud and chirpy in comparison to her normal more timid behavior. But after she threw up she went back to normal. I haven't noticed anything strange since. I've been keeping a close eye on her since it happened and looked in her cage and other spots where she had been if she puked there, but I didn't find anything. It's been an hour now. She's just been cleaning the stuff off her belly and behaving normally.
She does seem a bit sleepy but that might be me being paranoid since she's never been an active or playful bird.
I think her usual seed mix changed the recipe, could she have reacted to that? (Yes I know seeds aren't great and we've tried to get her on pellets but she is extremely picky. We do try to give her fruits and veggies when we make dinner.)

If she pukes again I'll 100% take her to a vet, but could this just be something bad she ate and threw back up?
I don't want to stress her out more with an unnecessary vet trip, she scares easy and doesn't like going out.
(Picture is her as of writing)

Attachments

• 20240201_120824.jpg
    20240201_120824.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
Robin_Jet

Robin_Jet

Feb 1, 2024
Parrots
Jet the Cockatiel
She seems fine now, i've kept an eye on her all day.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
If itā€™s a one time event I wouldnā€™t be too worried. I would continue monitoring her for a few days just to make sure it doesnā€™t happen again. I have had a bird get a yeast infection in her crop from bad seed, and had birds throw up from what I suspect was salmonella poisoning from fresh greens but they were clearly not feeling well in those cases, whereas your bird seems to be feeling fine. Sheā€™s a beautiful little bird ā¤ļø.

OP
Robin_Jet

Robin_Jet

Feb 1, 2024
Parrots
Jet the Cockatiel
If itā€™s a one time event I wouldnā€™t be too worried. I would continue monitoring her for a few days just to make sure it doesnā€™t happen again. I have had a bird get a yeast infection in her crop from bad seed, and had birds throw up from what I suspect was salmonella poisoning from fresh greens but they were clearly not feeling well in those cases, whereas your bird seems to be feeling fine. Sheā€™s a beautiful little bird ā¤ļø.
Will do! And thanks! <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts