am I imagining things?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I gave Lincoln a shower today, he was flapping around and enjoying him self. His wings did not seem to be bothering him in anyway. Typically after a shower I look under his wings just to see how the feathers are and if he has any pin feathers. Today I looked under and it kinda looked like right below his shoulder was swollen and purplish but it was exactly the same on the other side. Since it's symmetrical I want to think nothing is wrong and I'm just noticing something I didn't notice before but I'm still worried.

My dad just helped me take a picture and you can't see why I think it's swollen but does it look purplish to yall?
20230614_162155.jpg

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
It does look purplish in the picture.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
It is purple, but....this is the molting season....maybe stuff just fell out or pin feathers just to itchy to handle? I'd keep an eye on it and see tomorrow; set up an AVN appt if it doesn't improve in a day or so.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is purple, but....this is the molting season....maybe stuff just fell out or pin feathers just to itchy to handle? I'd keep an eye on it and see tomorrow; set up an AVN appt if it doesn't improve in a day or so.
Molting would normally be the first consideration. As stated, keep an eye on the area over the next several days.

If you can, very lightly touch the areas. Your goal is to determine if the area is soft or if it is more stiff as if it is under pressure or a growth is developing. FYI: The likelihood is very low that it is little more than just irritated.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It does look purplish in the picture.
I have never looked under the wing of a parrot like Lincoln, and I'm curious- is this what a parrot armpit normally looks like? I see lots of tiny downy feathers, mostly white and grey, and a few red and green. I don't see any obvious inflammation.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I have never looked under the wing of a parrot like Lincoln, and I'm curious- is this what a parrot armpit normally looks like? I see lots of tiny downy feathers, mostly white and grey, and a few red and green. I don't see any obvious inflammation.
My parrots armpits look like this! I think it's normal as all of mine look like this

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Lincoln has destructive feather tendencies. So he barbers the top layer of feathers and is just left with his downy grey feathers.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My parrots armpits look like this! I think it's normal as all of mine look like this
So parrots don't have many feathers (other than down) in their wingpits? I suppose it makes sense because what purpose would fully formed feathers serve there? They aren't needed for flight, protection, warmth or "looks", and might just get bulky and interfere with flapping.
I did notice that the skin in Lincoln's wingpits looked deep pinkish, but not really purple, but its hard to tell in a photo and I don't know what color his normal skin is. I know that naked baby birds have very thin, deep pink skin. photo

Most Reactions