Nail Trimming Procedure.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I need to trim my budgie's toenails but making a trip
to the vet is hard to fit into my schedule. Rocky is tame but she doesn't like being manhandledx

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I need to trim my budgie's toenails but making a trip
to the vet is hard to fit into my schedule. Rocky is tame but she doesn't like being manhandledx
Oops. Hit the wrong button.
I need to trim my budgie's toenails but need some instructions. Rocky is friendly and tame but she doesn't like being manhandled (who does) alones. Please advise

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I've not got much advice for getting Rocky's nails done now, other than my birds are good as gold for the vets despite not being tame but that might be because my vet is really good with them. I'm sure the vet trip will be fine for her if she needs a nail trim.

My birds don't need to get their nails trimmed as I have sanded perches and that keeps their nails nice and short. They also walk on the concrete in my aviary and that helps keep the nails trim. Perhaps you could get some similar perches so you won't have to trim her nails every few months?

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Does she actually need them cut or could you get away with blunting them with a nail file? Very few of mine ever need nails cut because they wear them down on natural perches just by being active. On the very rare occasion they need them cut, their opinions on being man handled get ignored. If your bond is strong enough you can cross some lines with no issue other then a short term grudge.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
What Keet_Krazy said.

Normally if I have to trim a birds nails alone I'll but on a glove and (here is the important thing) you hold them around the neck...it seems counterintuitive but its what vets do. You don't wan't to squish the bird, you want to restrain it so you basically use your fingers to make a collar.

Anouther method is to make a birdie buritto.. then unwrap from the bottom. Birdie burrito is using a wash cloth or similar and roll them up.

Then because I'm 47 now I put on readers so I can see in detail, and I prefer wire snips to the scissors they sell, but either works.

Then just nip the tip a little... I'd have styptic powder ready just in case.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've not got much advice for getting Rocky's nails done now, other than my birds are good as gold for the vets despite not being tame but that might be because my vet is really good with them. I'm sure the vet trip will be fine for her if she needs a nail trim.

My birds don't need to get their nails trimmed as I have sanded perches and that keeps their nails nice and short. They also walk on the concrete in my aviary and that helps keep the nails trim. Perhaps you could get some similar perches so you won't have to trim her nails every few months?
I thought sanded perches were too hard on their feet. If not I'll try them. I should just bring her in for a trim. They're not terribly long but tend to catch on some fabrics. She's easy to put in a travel carrier.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Does she actually need them cut or could you get away with blunting them with a nail file? Very few of mine ever need nails cut because they wear them down on natural perches just by being active. On the very rare occasion they need them cut, their opinions on being man handled get ignored. If your bond is strong enough you can cross some lines with no issue other then a short term grudge.
I don't think they need trimming. They need blunting. I'm not too worried about her holding a grudge. I just don't know how to do it.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just nip the tip

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks. If she needs them trimmed I'll have it done. She'll get over it.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
If you don't have the confidence or knowledge to clip them I don't recommend it, just file if you can. With friendly birds you can turn it into a game, my galah has started letting me play with his feet so I plan to desensitize him to a nail file so hopefully I never have to restrain him and clip nails (not that'd I'd ever clip his nails by myself).
I thought sanded perches were too hard on their feet. If not I'll try them. I should just bring her in for a trim. They're not terribly long but tend to catch on some fabrics. She's easy to put in a travel carrier.
You want the ones that are smooth on the top rough on the sides, so their feet are not on an abrasive surface. They also have to be positioned in a spot where your bird is active e.g. in front of a food or water bowl. They're useless if you bird just sits on them.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If you don't have the confidence or knowledge to clip them I don't recommend it, just file if you can. With friendly birds you can turn it into a game, my galah has started letting me play with his feet so I plan to desensitize him to a nail file so hopefully I never have to restrain him and clip nails (not that'd I'd ever clip his nails by myself).

You want the ones that are smooth on the top rough on the sides, so their feet are not on an abrasive surface. They also have to be positioned in a spot where your bird is active e.g. in front of a food or water bowl. They're useless if you bird just sits on them.
What diameter sanded perch is best for keeping budgies' nails short?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
They can be bad if they're the only perch they have or if they spend a lot of time on it. Mine have a couple in their cages and a couple outside of their cages and I've had no problems with their feet.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks. If she needs them trimmed I'll have it done. She'll get over it.

I don't think they need trimming. They need blunting. I'm not too worried about her holding a grudge. I just don't know how to do it.
I had the vet trim Rocky's nails today and he did a nice job. I really didn't want to manhandle her myself and risk bloody toes and an angry budgie. He only charged $20, which I thought was a steal.

budgie choir

Jul 1, 2023
Parrots
Budgies: Yoko, Dreamy, Ono, Jeter, Liilly, Primrose, Pegasus
Just nip the tip
I agree. hello i'm new to the boards...but i rec:
Remove all fragrance from your hands and body. catch your birds attention with millet and get them to learn how to trust you by hand feeding millet this is great for them to overcome fear of your hands. Use a towel to hold the bird in trying not to touch or pet them on their body (head only), have someone who owns a cat or dogs help you the quick on a bird is the same on them. so you just clip the very tip. I do not use sandpaper perches...they cause sores on the birds feet, that lead to infection, inflammation and bumble foot. you can also treat the bird with apple cider vinegar (Avoid eye contact) for mites using cotton balls and q tips...and finally i also like to give them aloe treatments when they are molting....instead of apple cider vinegar on the cotton balls and q tips i use aloe and give them a little aloe bath to soothe their feather growth pain. good time to check them for blood feathers.... holding them in the towel with one hand and the other gently spreads the wings, or treats the feet, or applies the solutions with the saturated cotton balls.

nails*
when they bird stand flat footed the nail should be long enough that it is not raising the birds foot off the ground they should be able to stand flat footed on the nail rounds over with just a tip touching. you don't want to make them bleed of course so just the tip regularly put it on the calendar the bird will get used to it. its painless for them. Also i like to massage their legs and feet with coconut oil before letting them go. Helps prevent bacterial infections,

wash hands when finished.

Most Reactions

Latest posts