Am I noticing first signs of Plucking?

Roizman

Jul 15, 2018
Hello friends!
My name is Tomer and I am a little concerned about my African Congo Tako.
Lately I have been noticing several edges of the feathers on his head are a little chewed off (added in one of the pictures).
Today as I came home I noticed on his day stand that a molt with some liquid is on the tray, after a little cuddly petting session I had found where it fell from( pictures of the mold and our little guys head are also attached).
Taco is 12 years old and usually molt around this time of the year, but it is the first time as far as I can remember finding a fallen molt like that.
Is this a normal behavior caused due to the molting or is there something wrong with tako?
I have been working quite late lately yet he is still cheerful and playful as always.
Thanks in advance!
Tomer

Attachments

• 20180715_234348.jpg
    20180715_234348.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 20180715_235220.jpg
    20180715_235220.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 20180715_234359.jpg
    20180715_234359.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 348

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
If that is the only fresh-growing feather he ever plucked out I would not worry.

Even my (officially) non-barbering/plucking grey has some feathers looking like this.
He loves to get hold of a piece ot twig and gets it entangled in his feathers so he can preen it away again (lovely weirdo). Extra wear and tear ...

I am no expert but the plucked feather-to-be looks a bit weird, so it could be just a malformed and therefore uncomfortable one that the bird removed (without getting started on others).
Like we humans can have an ingrown hair once in a blue moon.

Just keep an eye on things - but if you feel there is something iffy -> to the CAV for bloodwork of course.
You know your bird best.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't see how a feather from that location could have been plucked.
Is so high up on his neck there is no way his beak can reach that spot.
My best guess is that it was not growing correctly and excessive scratching with his foot dislodged it.

If you are worried about it, save it in a plastic bag and keep your eye out for any more unusual feathers. If they show up go to the vet with the saved feathers for an evaluation.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There could be some FDB (Feather Destructive Behavior) actually going on since some of the feathers do appear damaged... when in doubt, it doesn't hurt to get a checkup by a vet including some bloodwork.

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
He cant pluck his own neck :)... If you have other parrot(s), they might be the one to blame... But those might just be new feathers that are "bad" or new feathers that arent "ready" yet.. Im not saying those look normal but im saying they MIGHT be normal. In my eyes your pics look like somekind of "physical damage"... But its on a place where he cant pluck himself...

Maybe he had a really bad itch there when he was molting and he has scrathed his neck to something that has caused that? Maybe just scrathing with his foot...

I agree, take him to qualified Avian vet. If they recommend doing bloodwork, do it.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
A lot of great input above. And a lot of territory was certainly covered.

Keep us posted!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I see why you're concerned about this, and it's always a good idea, especially with birds, that when something worries you, you get them to their CAV ASAP, as I always say "better safe than really, really sorry"...So if Taco hasn't had any routine blood-work or a Fecal Culture done within the past 6 months, I would recommend it, just to make sure that nothing is going on, like a Bacterial or Fungal Infection, some type of Renal Infection, etc. You know how they hide all outward-signs/symptoms of illness, injury, pain, etc. for as long as they can, so better to rule it out or confirm it ASAP than to wait...and it's good to have blood-work and a Fecal Culture/Gram-Stain done at least once a year or so anyway...and it will make you feel better too...

As far as the feathers themselves, if he's in the middle of an actual molt (as both my Senegal and my Green Cheek are right now, feathers everywhere!) then it's most-likely him just pulling out the feathers that are coming out anyway, causing itchiness, dryness, etc. The single-feather you found I wouldn't worry about at all unless you find more (and I suggest you keep it too, take it to the CAV with you), and as far as the damaged feathers on the back of his neck, I don't know if you have any other birds that preen Taco, if so then I'd blame that, but if not, then I agree that it's most-likely that he's molting and he's itchy, and he's using his feet/claws to scratch...It could always be the start of some Destructive-Behavior, but again, because he's actually starting his typical, yearly molt, then I wouldn't jump to that unless it continues to get worse and doesn't stop after the regular molt is done...Again, a CAV trip will answer all of these questions for you pretty quickly...

Just a note, I don't know the experience-level of your CAV (or even if you use an actual Certified Avian Vet, or if you have an "Exotics" Vet that he sees), but if Taco doesn't usually see an actual Certified Avian Vet, you definitely want to find your closest CAV and make the appointment with them for this issue...I hate to say this, but it's true and it will save you money and a waste of a vet trip...probably 95% of all "Exotics" Vets have absolutely no experience or expertise in Feather-Destructive Behaviors, nor would they know the difference, and most wouldn't even know what diagnostic tests are warranted when it's suspected. There are a few, very few, Exotic's Vets with the same Avian education, experience, and expertise as a CAV, but they are few and far between, and they are also typically "Exotics" Vets who have themselves owned parrots for most of their lives, and they tend to work in an Exotic's Hospital and see only birds...kind of like "Dr. K" down in Fort Lauderdale, FL...She and the other female vet that works in her practice are the best example I've ever seen of two "Exotic's" Vets who actually have just a ton of experience and expertise in many different types of animals, and Dr. K. is actually a CAV, so that really doesn't apply, but she's a CAV that treats many Exotic animals (no dogs or cats) and who knows her stuff, and won't treat a species that she isn't comfortable with, like reptiles, she usually passes the reptiles and amphibians to the other girl, who is a CRV....

Anyway, I got off-track there, sorry, bottom-line is make sure that you find a CAV with much experience in Feather-Destructive Behavior, as it really is an individual field of Avian medicine all it's own, and that requires experience...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have a cockatoo (u2) but over-preening is not the same as plucking. Feather chewers/barbers tend to be less dangerous..
They still can get out of hand and they still are a signal that there are behavioral/anxiety issues....nevertheless, I wanted to let you know. Mine over-preens her chest and feet but she isn't doing it all of the time and she has done it since before I adopted her. There are meds for OCD etc but just make sure you consider the amount of stimulation you are providing before resorting to pharmaceuticals and also, remember that some of these meds can impact the liver (I would get a CBC done if medicating so that you can monitor liver issues etc..you need a baseline).

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
After seeing cockatoos that have learned to pluck their own head feathers (NO other birds around them!), I no longer believe that a bird can't, or won't, learn to pluck anywhere around the head or neck region...

Most Reactions