Am I plucking or molting?

tabatha

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Tabatha is the name of my Alexandrine Parrot. She is 2 years old and her mum is Tracy! (the one writing this).
G'day everyone,

My name is Tabatha and I am a 2 year old female Alexandrine. My mum got me for her birthday in July last year, and I love her so very much.

But at the moment I am starting to worry my mum.

About 5 weeks ago My beautiful long tail feathers came out, and for the past few weeks I have been leaving feathers all over the place. Some of them are from when my previous owner clipped my wings (my new mum won't do that because she thinks it is cruel). Some of them just fallout, and the others I work on them for a little bit to get them out.

Am I going through a normal moulting season? I'm in Australia, and 3 days ago it turned into Autumn.

When is moulting season for me? I'd love to be able to tell my mum but she doesn't understand birdie squawk.

Also, how often does mum mum have to treat me for mites?

Oh another thing, and thank you for helping me out, but I don't like fingers. When my mum comes to my cage, I always try and bite her fingers, and I love love love sitting on her shoulder! And when I'm on her shoulder, if she tries to come near me with her hand I try and bite her. Am I just being very naughty? How can my mum help me not to bite?

Thank you everyone for helping my mum! I do love her and the things she does for me!

I especially love the orange and apple, corn on the cob and grains of cooked rice she gives me. And one more thing, mum has toys in my cage to keep me occupied, and my cage is called the "penthouse" cage, it's so big!

I talk quite a bit, and even laugh like my mum, which makes her smile.

Thank you for helping my mum and I !

Tabatha :green2:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Hi, Tabatha, you sound like quite a character!

First, I think you are probably molting unless your mum is seeing bald spots on you. I'm not sure if the season in Australia has anything to do with it, but rather the season where your wild relatives came from. My birds live in the northern hemisphere but they are all molting now, too. One is almost done, but the other 2 have a ways to go yet.

Hopefully you don't have mites. If you do you will probably need to see the doctor to diagnose what kind and get medicine for it.

My guess is that you don't like fingers because someone hurt you at some time or grabbed you and scared you. Your mum should show you fingers are good by feeding you yummy treats with them and slowly moving them closer and closer to you until you let her start touching you a bit. You should also learn what "step up" means. First you can practice by doing it with perches, but eventually you will need to go it onto hands, too.

OP
T

tabatha

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Tabatha is the name of my Alexandrine Parrot. She is 2 years old and her mum is Tracy! (the one writing this).
Hello Roxy!

Squawk squawk, tweet, squawk to your birdies!

Thank you for replying, I know my mum is worried, but if I can assure her that what I'm doing is normal then she wont be so upset.

I'm just going to go to the roof of my cage and sing along to the music that is on, well maybe not sing but make lots of singing type noises!

I know how to make mum feel good, I'll wolf whistle at her all day!

Thank you!

Tabatha

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
You are very welcome, Tabitha. Rowdy also likes to try to sing along to whatever music is on and Pete sings opera.

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
Hi tabatha

My parrot is also going through a heavy molt right now. Her feathers became pretty messed up and she started scratching herself a lot. I thought it was completely normal because she was going through her first molt, but sadly it wasn't. I saw her feathers was chewed on so I took her to the vet and he told me she has mites. She is now under treatment and her scratching has become much better although she still scratches a lot. If you want to know if you have mites, then hold one of your feathers up against the light and if there are tiny holes, kinda like bulletshots, then it is because you have mites. I recommend you to see an avian vet :)

OP
T

tabatha

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
G'day!

My mum has all of the bigger feathers I have dropped, and she has done what you suggested and there arent any little holes?

Phew what a relief! I don't want to upset mum, she does so much for me.

Actually when she got me, it was after dad set up an amazing race for her to go on, for her 40th birthday, and I was the prize at the end of the race!

Mum cried.

Time for some apple now....

Squawk squawk!

Tabatha:green2:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That's a very cool story, Tabitha! Wow, you were literally a prize! And how awesome for your mum to have won the race and be rewarded with you!

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Hi tabatha,

I agree your mom should get the vet to check you out to make sure you don't have any mites or other skin and feather conditions.

Your mom will know if you've been chewing your feathers by looking and feeling them. If the "shaft" part is missing, then you've been chewing them! If she can feel bite marks/ridges/grooves around the shaft, then you've been chewing them! If there are bite-sized chunks of feather barbs missing, then you've probably been chewing on them as well!

Moulting doesn't necessarily happen only during one season in the year, especially now that our seasons are getting more and more mixed up. Oh wait, you're from Melbourne...you're used to it, :p LOL!

All 3 of my birds have been moulting as well.

If you're moulting at the moment, no wonder you're grumpy. The feather sheaths are quite rigid and spikey, making you feel uncomfortable and irritable all the time. Your mom will understand you are more grumpy than usual while you are moulting, so she will give you more room and more space until you've finished with your moult. Your mom may also try to make you more comfortable by giving you warm baths or warm water sprays or warm water mists or warm showers, depending on your preference, BUT ONLY if you're not frightened by these various procedures. The warm water helps soften those spikey feather sheaths so they feel less prickly on you.

Your mom sounds like she is doing really well so far. Are you getting enough foods rich in Vitamin A (red capsicums, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, dark leafy greens, etc)? Oranges are OK if you like them as treats, but your body is a bit different to your mom's body as you can make your own Vitamin C so you don't NEED the Vitamin C from the oranges. Red apple skin is good because it contains polyphenols which help regulate your blood sugar. Red apple skin also contains phytonutrients which reduce fat absorption. So make sure your mom leaves the red apple skin ON for you! Are you getting a balanced diet in the form of pellets suitable for parrots? Are you getting enough exercise? Is your mom's house safe for you to come out and fly?

Tell your mom you appreciate her learning all these things so that she can give you the best care possible.

Cheers,
Enjru

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts