Am I the only one...?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I feel like such a baby, but I'm just looking through a ton of rescue centers and websites and stuff and I'm just balling my eyes out, so many beautiful babies in need of a good home and I wish I could take them all home and help them trust again and rediscover how great it is to have a family who devotes themselves to you and stuff.

I don't know if I'm just hormonal or why I'm such an emotional wreck about this, but is there anyone else who gets the same way as me about birds in rescues/needing a new home etc?

:(

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I dont get sad about the rescues (well not crying sad). Im just really glad that these birds are finally in a clean cage, with food, water, toys and attention :)
What makes me sad is the ads on Craigslist and Kijiji.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I dont get sad about the rescues (well not crying sad). Im just really glad that these birds are finally in a clean cage, with food, water, toys and attention :)
What makes me sad is the ads on Craigslist and Kijiji.

They're the worst. :( I hate seeing people just throw their pets aside so easily! :(

I am always happy knowing that a pet has gone from a crappy environment to a great one, like you said with rescues - but still, they deserve big big aviaries or good companionship :(

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i always get upset looking through ads. someone was selling a 10 month old b&g macaw because they need the room!!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
If it is a mistreated human or animal dosen mater me I get relly sad and mad

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What makes me sad the most is animal abuse videos on Youtube....

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
We lost our 15 yr old lab mix about 2 weeks ago and my husband mentioned looking at the pit bull rescues in our area. Silly me did just that. I kinda want the all, but there are 2 I really feel need to be in our family...well, 1 especially and the 2nd just slightly less.

Our lab was my husband's girl so I sent him links to several and pointed out those two. I'm not bringing it up any more, but I really, really want Fiona, only slightly less want Grit.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
I get the same way......we are so passionate about our birds.....I find that I either get really sad or I get really angry....that is why I stay away from those websites and craigs list....I just don't go there.

Nimwey

Jul 27, 2011
Media
Karlstad, Sweden
Parrots
Eight year old female Meyers Parrot and three year old male Scarlet Macaw.
No, you're not the only one. I am constantly frustrated when people get chicks - especially larger parrots like greys, amazons, macaws and cockatoos - when there are thousands and thousands of birds that desperately needs homes. :(

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
I stay away from the websites and do not look at any ads on the net anymore. It breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time. I know it is going on, but just cannot bring myself to watch an animal either being abused or rescued from a bad situation. I just try very hard to make sure the animals I do have, are well taken care of and very much loved.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
I stay away from the websites and do not look at any ads on the net anymore. It breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time. I know it is going on, but just cannot bring myself to watch an animal either being abused or rescued from a bad situation. I just try very hard to make sure the animals I do have, are well taken care of and very much loved.

same here happy endings are the one thing i can always read, i was considering another bird a few wks back an looked at pre loved and birdline, never again, talked to hubs about being a safe house, but he said no way, but what he said made sense. we just dont have the space, money and most importantly time.:52:

it takes a lot of planning our scedules so nut is not alone for over 5hours! its a family effort, so if we have another nutty bird, i am not sure how we would cope :eek:

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots

same here happy endings are the one thing i can always read, i was considering another bird a few wks back an looked at pre loved and birdline, never again, talked to hubs about being a safe house, but he said no way, but what he said made sense. we just dont have the space, money and most importantly time.:52:

it takes a lot of planning our scedules so nut is not alone for over 5hours! its a family effort, so if we have another nutty bird, i am not sure how we would cope :eek:

I'm always going on to my other half about having some kind of mini sanctuary so I can help rehab some bird... but even if I managed hundreds, it'd still never be enough. :(

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
I volunteer at a rescue and seeing the newer cases come in is just plain disrespectful and discusting. Essp when there 8 years, plucked and neglected. The responses we get. But we had to be professional about it and accept whatever reason. I hate hearing about people who got them as a baby and they were happy and cuddlie. But then a few years
Later he got mean and loud and we wanted to keep hi
Because we love him so we put him in the spare bedroom so we couldn hear em scream. Even gave him his favorite treat. Sunflower seeds. Still loud. So 8 years later of naglect we brought him here Just gotta bite your tounge and say you made the right choise.

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I personally think that all animals should be treated the same as humans, they live here too!! it makes me really upset to see people being so cruel to these animals :(

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I feel like such a baby, but I'm just looking through a ton of rescue centers and websites and stuff and I'm just balling my eyes out, so many beautiful babies in need of a good home and I wish I could take them all home and help them trust again and rediscover how great it is to have a family who devotes themselves to you and stuff.

I don't know if I'm just hormonal or why I'm such an emotional wreck about this, but is there anyone else who gets the same way as me about birds in rescues/needing a new home etc?

:(

Yep, that's why I volunteer at the rescue. I can't take them all home, but I can bring them treats and talk and sing to them and clean cages and chop fresh food for them. It helps a little. But mostly I don't browse many rescue sites. it's hard enough not bringing home 'just one more' from the rescue!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
but is there anyone else who gets the same way as me about birds in rescues/needing a new home etc?

No but i do get very angry that people don't educate themselves on parrot behavior & breeders & Pet outlets don't bother to screen potential buyers before they sell them.

Thank goodness there are not to many rescues here in Australia, none where i am but i guess i am a bit of a drop in center for unwanted birds. If i can't keep them myself i do look for a forever home for them. There is always someone I know that will give a parrot a good home.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Oh my! I start balling my eyes out, instantly! Just talking to people about things that I think are sad where animals are concerned...my eyes start to water. Don't like it in myself...but..like it in my self. Good quality.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Mayden you are not the only one. I am the same way. I am so passionate about these beautiful parrots. It makes me sad and angry when people just give them up without a second thought. For me they are a part of my family and no matter what they are with me forever.

Most Reactions

Latest posts