Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

My Dear Lady.. All I can say is...... You and Mr. Sunshine are wonderful in the vids **Hugs**

You are doing GREAT...

What do you think if I hand that stick to Kise??? One beck and gone.... Maybe my finger too...

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Nestled in the beautiful mountains of Perry County
Parrots
Mr. Sunshine, a 15 to 20 year old Panama Amazon Parrot.
I had to re watch your two vids lol. Mr.S is very vocal with you! I wish I could figure out what he is saying to you. You need to view his house as HIS house..his safe haven if you will. Even now after nearly thirty years with Amy I'm leary of putting my hand inside his domain to remove his water/food bowls or to take out his basement papers coz there are still times he'll nail me (like the other night :eek:) You'd think I would have learned by now lol!
He's comfortable enough with you to take nummys from your fingers.

Getting Mr Sunshine to step up will be a great accomplishment. Then you'll be able to get him away from his house and he'll have to learn to trust you. He IS a bright guy and it'll all fall in place. For a first time parront you are doing really well. Keep it up Robyn! ;)

Jim

I wish I could understand what he is saying, too!

I have been extremely blessed because for the most part he didn't mind me in his cage? I did some really stupid things, too if that is fact. The first few days till he came out I would open the door and look in at him so it wasn't just the cage between us.

I have slowly moved things around his cage to get him more active. He basically just stays on one main perch. So, I have slowly moved things around including his food dishes. Had he reacted to me aggressively I would've backed off.

He is only afraid of my hand and tries to bite anytime I go near to get him to step up.

We worked on it again tonight (I won't give up) and he goes to bite every time. I am making slow progress keeping my hand closer and closer as he learns my hand will not hurt him.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Even though Amy will step up with no problems,the majority of the time I still use his favorite perch stick to carry him around. I bring it anytime we go for rides in the car and into stores. I think he feels more comfy with the perch coz he can hold on as tight as he chooses. Have you tried a perch stick with Mr.S?

Jim

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Nestled in the beautiful mountains of Perry County
Parrots
Mr. Sunshine, a 15 to 20 year old Panama Amazon Parrot.
Have you tried a perch stick with Mr.S?

Jim

Yes Jim, I have tried that but to no success so far. He wants to bite the stick and I have trouble helping him be secure when he does try. My hands are weak from arthritis and I don't know how to compensate for his weight. He wants to but he can feel my weakness. Once I can feel his full weight on my hand or arm I might be better able to use a stick. Regardless, we will keep trying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts