Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
So I am working from home and my desk is right next to Maddox's cage. I always keep him out while I'm working but he is constantly climbing up my arm to my shoulder every ten seconds and it is driving me crazy. Clearly I am not going to yell at him but I need to figure out some way to keep him off of me while I am at work. I really don't want to have him locked in his cage all day but something has to change.

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
So I am working from home and my desk is right next to Maddox's cage. I always keep him out while I'm working but he is constantly climbing up my arm to my shoulder every ten seconds and it is driving me crazy. Clearly I am not going to yell at him but I need to figure out some way to keep him off of me while I am at work. I really don't want to have him locked in his cage all day but something has to change.
One way too keep him off of you and on his cage is to put a lot of toys and other things too occupy his time on his cage or get a bird stand and put him on it with a lot of toys while you work, My bird did the same thing so i got a bird stand to put behind me and loaded it with toys and my bird stays on it until i have to make her get off.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I recommend a tree stand/other perch to keep him occupied. You can also have him free-roam in another room while you work, as long as it's completely bird-proofed and you feel comfortable leaving him alone.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I work from home as well. Really, you have two options:

1. Keep him out of the cage and find something to distract him.
2. Keep him caged.

I do both with Ona as needed. Foraging toys is usually the best distraction. Ona has a cat puzzle toy I hide seeds in and she likes that a lot. I have also used ice cubes in a glass cup XD Sometimes she just has to go in her cage and entertain herself for a while.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Albie is an absolute nuisance (in the best ways) while Mr stitch works from home. She gets bored really quickly even if shes on her tree, or her forage box or on of her cage with all her toys and she start misbehaving: attacking the mouse , trying to own the keyboard , screaming down ears, throwing my miniatures and and paints around (her toy aren't good enough ) so sadly for Albie she gets a mix of out of cage time and enforced "nap/chill time (aka cage time)

She will be out all morning , then caged from mid afternoon until I get home unless I'm working late. Heck even if I'm home and try distracting her with training she just gets like " yeah , we done now, I'm gonna go annoy dad for attention "

Nova on the other hand ? Happy to sit on the monitor and stare lovingly at mr stitch all day long (she is totally his bird 100%)

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
The other option is get a play cage and have your fid in there during work time/ when you can't have them around and put them back in their regular cage at other times. Worked for me several years ago.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Albie is an absolute nuisance (in the best ways) while Mr stitch works from home. She gets bored really quickly even if shes on her tree, or her forage box or on of her cage with all her toys and she start misbehaving: attacking the mouse , trying to own the keyboard , screaming down ears, throwing my miniatures and and paints around (her toy aren't good enough ) so sadly for Albie she gets a mix of out of cage time and enforced "nap/chill time (aka cage time)

She will be out all morning , then caged from mid afternoon until I get home unless I'm working late. Heck even if I'm home and try distracting her with training she just gets like " yeah , we done now, I'm gonna go annoy dad for attention "

Nova on the other hand ? Happy to sit on the monitor and stare lovingly at mr stitch all day long (she is totally his bird 100%)
That is seriously adorable! Nova sounds very sweet. And Albie.... well that's a Conure for ya 🀣

I should also say that I've found playing music makes Ona more inclined to chill on my laptop while I work. She likes to dance! She will often fly to my screen and start dancing to ask me to put on music for her. The she gets groovin!

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
Little update, Maddox has found other things to keep himself occupied while I am working. He seems to love to play with the wooden blocks that fell off his toy which keeps him busy for hours. The next thing I need to have a conversation with him about is his need to scream while I am on zoom meetings.

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
None currently but have owned a cherry headed conure and a sun conure.
Little update, Maddox has found other things to keep himself occupied while I am working. He seems to love to play with the wooden blocks that fell off his toy which keeps him busy for hours. The next thing I need to have a conversation with him about is his need to scream while I am on zoom meetings.
:ROFLMAO: I've only had my bird baby for 3 weeks but I've resorted to taking my video meetings upstairs with my laptop on a tv tray table. Ruby is extra chatty at the exact time I have my daily morning meeting.

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
:ROFLMAO: I've only had my bird baby for 3 weeks but I've resorted to taking my video meetings upstairs with my laptop on a tv tray table. Ruby is extra chatty at the exact time I have my daily morning meeting.
They always have something to say!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
If you find a way ,let me know , Albie has a lot to say when we are online with friends or when Mr. Stitch is in meetings 🀣

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
They always wait until you get on a call to start screaming :D

I have found that Google Meet is really good at filtering out noise. I have had Ona screaming her head off right next to me and other people on the call say they can't hear her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts