amazon advice / thoughts please

prtmom

Apr 29, 2010
Hi,
I have an Amazon - have had "it" for two years now. It's taken me that long to earn its trust.
First, I am not exactly sure which type I have - can anyone point me in the direction of a good website with pictures?
Second - am learning its behaviors. When I got it, it was very unfriendly. Displayed, pinned, grabbed me through the bars if I got too close. We would make a little progress, then backslide. About a year ago I got him out - all was well with him on his perch. I went to the bathroom - came back and he was down off his perch. As I carefully stepped into the room to see where he's gone, he came sailing at me, screeching, etc. Got a big towel and back into the cage he went.
I've kept talking to him, giving him treats, etc until I could change his food without having my arm ripped off. Long story, but I can now scratch his head and take him out.
Now he'll check me out with his beak - not a nip, but just using his beak to explore. He also reaches up and grabs me with his talon, but not hard. And he makes this growling / purring sound.
So, do you think he's decided I'm OK or is he just tolerating me, waiting to inflict a nasty Amazon bite?
Not giving up - it's taken 2 1/2 years to get this far. :rolleyes:
Thanks

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Do you have pictures of him/her that you could post on here? Amazons are re-homed for all the reasons you stated above. I think you are gaining trust, slowly, but surly. I am happy to hear you aren't giving up! Keep up the great work. You may never be able to handle him in a way you may want, but you are making progress. FYI all amazons growl! They growl when they are happy, they growl when they are mad. They growl while playing, they just like to growl! ;)

OP
P

prtmom

Apr 29, 2010
I'll take a picture this weekend. The ones I have are through the bars. I'll open the cage and get a good one.
He's really sweet now that he's beginning to trust me. However, I'm not letting my guard down.
He / she loved the man he lived with. When I met him, the bird was siting on his shoulder, picking at his eyebrows. He walked outside with him on his shoulder (and he's fully flighted). He was able to turn him upside down and do all kids of things with him. Me however ---- he'd love to chew my hand off! So glad that part is getting better.
I do know they can inflict a very nasty bite, but if I don't ever try to pick him up, I feel he'll be destined to spending life in a cage. The longer he goes without contact the harder it will be - is that right? Anyway, that's what I'm thinking so I'm determined to win him / her over.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Have you tried stick training? Getting him/her to step up on a stick? If you look up clicker training on youtube you may get some good ideas for training.
Below is my amazon. He's a blue front. Can you explain what yours looks like?

DSC_1889.jpg

OP
P

prtmom

Apr 29, 2010
Mine has a yellow head - red at the tops of his wings. I'm not sure if he's one of the "hot three" or not. Have been in contact with Joannie Doss - she has amazons.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Does he have the bone colored feet and beak or are they gray?If bone colored he might be a DYH (double yellow head), does he have yellow on the thighs ? Is the whole head yellow?

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
What a gorgeous bird!

Have you tried stick training? Getting him/her to step up on a stick? If you look up clicker training on youtube you may get some good ideas for training.
Below is my amazon. He's a blue front. Can you explain what yours looks like?

DSC_1889.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Great picture:)

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Lifting his foot keelin his head and growling means "c mom let me get a grip. Ima bite you".if you have a Dyh then yes thats one of the hot 3 and explains the habits picked up.
Just take a breath chill out and start at root one until you have exactly what your looking for. Remember that you might not be able to obtain the sweet and cuddlie amazon. Amazons are fussy and un trusting when given an opportunity. So it takes loads of time to get where you need to be. Oviously you have made tremendous progress. Continue and and be patient (which you have). As for what species. Here are some yellow headed amazons. 3 diffrent kind.
Yellow-headed Amazon
Yellow-crowned Amazon
Panama Amazon. This one exactly the same as yellow crown but has horn colored feet and beak. Only diffrence. Also some small minute differences.

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Lifting his foot keelin his head and growling means "c mom let me get a grip. Ima bite you".

That may be what your Amazon means when he does that, but it isn't what Boo means (or any other parrot I've been around). Most of the parrots I've been around use that as a "I want up" signal. Boo does it and sometimes he wants up, sometimes he just wants to hold onto my finger and keep me next to his cage for a little while.

Most Reactions

Latest posts