Should I get an Amazon?

Parrotlover101

Jun 23, 2011
I'm 13 years old and I would really like to get a Lilac-Crowned Amazon. It's smaller and cheaper, which would be better for me and my family. My sisters (old enough to handle to the bird RIGHT) and my parents wouldn't mind helping out a little with the money and playing around with the bird while I'm at school. This would be my first actual parrot... but I've raised a couple baby birds and a lot of my close friends have some parrots. I'm willing to make the commitment in exchange for a life long friend! I would take the bird with me on all the vacations and I would just love it to death!!!! I've been researching for 2 whole years now and I wouldn't get the bird for a couple more years. I know your going to suggest a conure, but I really think I would be ready for a medium sized bird. If you have any other bird suggestions like Hahnes Macaw or birds around that size I would really like that! Also about what size cage should it have??? I've read a lot online but I would really like to ask you and see what you think.

Last edited:

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Amazons can sometimes be very tricky. You have to know how to read their behavior to know when it is not a wise idea to handle them. What birds have you owned so far?

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
I have an Orange Wing Amazon & it's the first parrot I've ever had. I absolutely love him & after only 18 months can't imagine my life without him. They take patience & understanding but it is well worth it in my opinion. My little munchkin is cooing at me right now & getting ready to fly onto my head. He gets playful & cuddly before bedtime.

OP
P

Parrotlover101

Jun 23, 2011
I've successfully raised a baby crow, and carolina wren. I let them go when they got too old and started flying around the house. A lot of my friends have birds and they were really sweet.

OP
P

Parrotlover101

Jun 23, 2011
out of these which one talks the best?

lilac crowned amazon
blue fronted amazon
orange winged amazon

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I believe that a Blue Fronted Amazon would have the most potential to speak out of those 3. I have owned 2 different Yellow Napes & I have also had a foster Yellow Fronted amazon & a Double Yellow Headed amazon live with me for a few months each. I have done much research & reading about the different Amazons & their potential for ability to talk. The Double Yellow Head was an amazing talker but he lunged at me & tried to bite me whenever I got near the cage.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
My Orange Wing has a huge vocabulary & knows what the words mean & uses them in the proper context. He talks to me all day & dances when i sing & takes a shower with me every day. Even with the lights out sometimes he'll start chatting away around midnight saying, "Good night Precious" over & over & "Give me a kiss"

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
My amazon is a great talker & a fun personality. That being said he also bites very hard & has a scream that will pop your eardrums. He needs me to spend time w/him hours a day or he is unhappy. This is every day, he is like a toddler demanding my attention. He doesnt care if I have work to do or friends to see, he needs me.

A amazon is not a good choice for a 1st bird for a 13 year old. They are beautiful & smart, but that intelligence makes them harder to satisfy. Did you know that amazons are 1 of the most surrendered bird at the bird shelters? The reasons that people give them up I talked about above.

I know what its like to really really want something. I think that if you are truly a "animal person" you will want the best for your bird. The best thing for your future amazon might be that you wait until you have a home of your own & in complete control of that home. Did you see the movie "Paulie", the little girl had to give up her bird because her parents wanted her to. You don't want that to happen to you.

I would suggest a smaller, less maintenance bird for your first bird. I'm sure the other members here could suggest a bird that would be a good fit for you. A conure seems like a sweet, snuggley little bird friend.

Good luck w/your decision.

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
Amazons have great personalities, but can be aggressive, and bite. And when amazons bite, it is not pretty, I have had several in the past. Lilac crowns are pretty good, they can be loud, but they are the more shy types of amazons. Hahn's macaws are really great, they have a personality of a huge macaw, but in a small package. You could even go with a severe macaw, I think severes are too loud, but if you said you could deal with a Military or B&G, than I'm sure you can handle it!

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
Also, I'd say Amazons are the most demanding birds I've ever worked with...When they are babies they are cute, and love to cuddle, and when they are just a few months old, they can turn in to cute, mean guys!!! Sometimes they trick you!

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
My amazon is a great talker & a fun personality. That being said he also bites very hard & has a scream that will pop your eardrums. He needs me to spend time w/him hours a day or he is unhappy. This is every day, he is like a toddler demanding my attention. He doesnt care if I have work to do or friends to see, he needs me.

A amazon is not a good choice for a 1st bird for a 13 year old. They are beautiful & smart, but that intelligence makes them harder to satisfy. Did you know that amazons are 1 of the most surrendered bird at the bird shelters? The reasons that people give them up I talked about above.

I know what its like to really really want something. I think that if you are truly a "animal person" you will want the best for your bird. The best thing for your future amazon might be that you wait until you have a home of your own & in complete control of that home. Did you see the movie "Paulie", the little girl had to give up her bird because her parents wanted her to. You don't want that to happen to you.

I would suggest a smaller, less maintenance bird for your first bird. I'm sure the other members here could suggest a bird that would be a good fit for you. A conure seems like a sweet, snuggley little bird friend.

Good luck w/your decision.

Couldn't of said it better, I totally agree with you!

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Thankyou for putting it out there merlinsmom.
Great advice! I concider amazons the 18 and up parrot lol.
There not the avarge parrot. More like another human. They have bad days and theyll let you know of it. Also I have a known talking species of amazon and he doesn talk. But he's still a great bird and properly trained. I'd get a snuggly gcc. There perfact for first time birds. Also were not saying you can't ever get one. Just wait till you have the experince first. Coming from a some who rehabilitates the species. Most of the time it was there first and only bird. Patience will pay off. It did for me :)

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same person who posted about which macaw he should get, african grey, and he even asked about getting an amazon and people said he shouldn't...lol...

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I would say NO, unless your parents are fully on board with this and it would be a family pet. I would recommend starting out with a Conure, I think Green Cheek Conures are the darlings of the parrot world.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I saw your post last nite and wanted to comment, i decided to "sleep on it" and have decided on my sure to be unpopular reply. My parents had amazons since before i came along and i've grown up with them all my life. I was never allowed to have my own zon until the age of 14 when i had a newspaper route and contracts to mow yards around the hood.I took my baby YN out of a nest tree when it was about 3 wks old and ehe's still with me today (i'm 54). Jake has been a life long companion,she's been though wives,college,kids,dogs,fires, floods,hurricanes,bike wrecks,truck wrecks,boat wrecks you name it,even long periods of separation but we are still the best of buds, my life revolves largely around her.Yes there have been many times when i couldn't do something i wanted because of her but she's been worth all of the sacrafies. Planning to get a amazon when you are older and more" stable " is very noble,but life happens, things will always change,you can plan all you want but you will still have to make the best of any situation that arises. Responsibility and commitment are the key factors here,a properly raised and socialized zon will change your life and can provide you with a very rare chance at a very loving and intelligent lifelong friend.
Maybe you could foster a zon for someone or at least visit some older birds somewhere to see what your in for.Who knows maybe you can find an older bird that you can bond with that needs a good home or take your chances with a baby that may or may not be a talker, if talking is a big issue with you stick with the Yellow Crowns and their sub-species (DYH,YN,Panamas etc.) and even some of these may not be talkers, but your chances are better.I could write a book here but i won't, let the arrows fly.Just my 2 cents worth.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I saw your post last nite and wanted to comment, i decided to "sleep on it" and have decided on my sure to be unpopular reply. My parents had amazons since before i came along and i've grown up with them all my life. I was never allowed to have my own zon until the age of 14 when i had a newspaper route and contracts to mow yards around the hood.I took my baby YN out of a nest tree when it was about 3 wks old and ehe's still with me today (i'm 54). Jake has been a life long companion,she's been though wives,college,kids,dogs,fires, floods,hurricanes,bike wrecks,truck wrecks,boat wrecks you name it,even long periods of separation but we are still the best of buds, my life revolves largely around her.Yes there have been many times when i couldn't do something i wanted because of her but she's been worth all of the sacrafies. Planning to get a amazon when you are older and more" stable " is very noble,but life happens, things will always change,you can plan all you want but you will still have to make the best of any situation that arises. Responsibility and commitment are the key factors here,a properly raised and socialized zon will change your life and can provide you with a very rare chance at a very loving and intelligent lifelong friend.
Maybe you could foster a zon for someone or at least visit some older birds somewhere to see what your in for.Who knows maybe you can find an older bird that you can bond with that needs a good home or take your chances with a baby that may or may not be a talker, if talking is a big issue with you stick with the Yellow Crowns and their sub-species (DYH,YN,Panamas etc.) and even some of these may not be talkers, but your chances are better.I could write a book here but i won't, let the arrows fly.Just my 2 cents worth.

I think its wonderful that you were able to "grow up" w/your amazon. Having parents that were parrot caregivers made it possible for you to develop your life's patterns around having a parrot. I also grew up w/difficult pets (horses), my mother also had horses & having a knowledgeable parent supporting me made it possible. She joined clubs that put us in touch w/other horse people. She never made a big deal out of injuries resulting from our hobby. She just got it.

If this young person had that kind of support, getting a amazon as a first bird would probably work. Without that support, the odds are greater that it wouldnt work.

They are wonderful birds that make life alot more fun. I don't mind not going on vacation because theres noone to watch him, he's worth it. The OP will make the decision based on their life & their maturity. I just couldnt read the posts saying "yea amazons" & not give the opposite side of the coin. Whatever they do, they need to know whats at stake.

Xenthius

Jul 12, 2011
Texas
Parrots
Panama Amazon
Patagonian Conure
It seems you are set on getting a bird and you seem to be doing a lot of homework. You may want to look into volunteering at a local parrot adoption place, maybe spend some time with a local breeder to get face time. Nothing beats 1 on 1 or in this case 1 on bird time. Everyone swears by their bird and everyone is an expert, best thing is to get out there. By working with a place like this you get involved in the maintenance and daily chores. Spending a few hours here and there with your friends pet is one thing, taking care of one for years to come is a commitment. Not only do you get experience, but perhaps get the opportunity in making a few friends and who knows you may meet your new feathery lifelong friend. Both of our birds are adopted, and yes one of them is an Amazon (Panama Amazon).

Most Reactions

Latest posts