Amazon behaviour

Fil

Aug 28, 2013
my young yellow crowned amazon seems to open her beak, spread her wings and frill her neck feathers and twirl her head and body around when i have her out the cage. Is this normal behaviour ?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
If your describing what I am imagining, yes. It sounds like excitement and showing off.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Mine does it too! Kinda looks like one of those phoenix rising pictures with her wings spread and head turned.

OP
F

Fil

Aug 28, 2013
Thanks!

She is starting to refuse the formula after like 30mls, and she isn't eating anywhere near enough solid foods by herself to support her weight. Is this normal?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
What is her age? can you show a video of her doing this action? Do you weigh her every day?

Motogordo

Jan 14, 2014
Media
Delanco, N.J.
Parrots
double yellowhead
chaco bluefront
yellow nape
my young yellow crowned amazon seems to open her beak, spread her wings and frill her neck feathers and twirl her head and body around when i have her out the cage. Is this normal behaviour ?

Jan. 27, 2014

One of my Amazons (Meadow) does that. They are excited and love to show off.

Gordon :red::green1::orange:

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My Slater does that as well whenever my hubby is around but paying attention to one of the other guys:) I think he is showing off as well and trying to regain his attention.

Most Reactions