Amazon breathing hard/heavy.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
We have noticed that when my son or my friend's husband comes in the house that Whisper retreats to his favorite perch, hunches down, and starts breathing hard and heavy. I have his cage away from the door. It's across from the door way about 14 feet and to the left about 3 feet. He doesn't do this when I come in. I don't want to stop the men in my life from coming in to my house. Any suggestions on the best way to handle this?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sounds like either a mating thing or an aggression/protection thing. Either way, it should just be ignored. Whisper will get over himself eventually, and if it does persist, just be sure to leave him in the cage when guests are over for the safety of everyone:)

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Yes, he does get the attention when he does it. We just talk to him like normal but we are looking at him to make sure he is okay.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Yes, he does get the attention when he does it. We just talk to him like normal but we are looking at him to make sure he is okay.

So...his nefarious plan to get more attention is working!! Cunning, these Amazons are!!

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Smarty!!!

I guess next time I will just ignore him...and tell those coming in the house to do the same.

ImmunoGoblin

Mar 5, 2014
outside Cincinnati, OH
Parrots
Tater Tot - DYH Amazon
Kiwi - Orange-winged Amazon
Biscuit - Young-ish cockatiel
Just a random different angle - are either of these men heavy smokers? Or are they wearing some cologne or aftershave or something that might be irritating your bird?

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Wow - I thought I answered this. No, neither of these men are heavy smokers or wear cologne.

Yesterday he was doing the heavy breathing with me.

Most Reactions