Amazon clucking like a chicken and making strange movements

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
My dear fellow parrot lovers I recently witnessed a strange thing. My BFA suddenly started clucking like a chicken and making strange movements. He would step kind of back and forth from one foot to another. It is the strangest thing and I have never seen a parrot do this before. My first thought was that it must be hormonal. I am not sure, however and thought I would consult my experts. Can anyone tell me what this is? I will provide a link to a video below.

[ame="https://youtu.be/fpYIg4CV3qs"]Amazon parrot clucking like a chicken - YouTube[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That dance and clucking is Amazon mating dance with sound effects.

NOTE: Double check the amount of sleep your Amazon is getting. It should be some place near 10+ hours of dark, restful sleep.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes, Your amazon is trying to mate with your hand.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ah yes, march of the hormones!

Amazons are capable of great mimicry, though. My Gonzo will make a "brawk brawk brawk" sort of chicken sound, but purely linguistic!

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Ok thank you to all that have replied. I kind of thought that it may be a hormone/mating dance type of thing. Yes, SailBoat he does get more than 10 hours of dark sleep. I will make an extra effort to ensure that this remains so.

Here's another question then. Is this dance a male thing or a female thing or can either do it? I have no DNA sexing done so I am not 100% sure of the sex, but would this dance give an answer?

Thanks again!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I would guess male.
Females crouch down and make there back flat.
I had one femal amazon and she never tried to rub her bum on somthing

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Here's another question then. Is this dance a male thing or a female thing or can either do it? I have no DNA sexing done so I am not 100% sure of the sex, but would this dance give an answer?

Thanks again!

There are tales and behaviors that 'may' lead one to believe that they have one or the other. But, you really want to have your Amazon DNA Sex Tested. Its really important to know for certain, since if you have a female, egg binding could become a serious problem, and knowing and making minor changes in her diet could save you a dangerous, crazed high-speed trip to an Avian Vet.

Have you been to an Avian Vet yet?

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Thanks again, guys. SailBoat, an avian vet visit is in the near future and after reading your response I think I WILL go ahead and have him/her DNA sexed too! Thanks again, I really appreciate all the responses!

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
My 'Zon does the same thing - sometimes he elevates it to a sound like a honking goose, but REALLY LOUD!!.

He also makes scratching movements with his foot, like a chicken scratching the ground for feed. Definitely a hormonal thing...

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yes, the Rb has his own version, too! If he's on a flat surface, he goes backwards in kind of a moon-walk! Very graceful footwork. Not!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts