Amazon owners: advice plz?

Kiwi!

Jul 21, 2009
Hi. I am new here, but I need some help. We live in Arizona, and it has been very hot in the morning, and very rainy in the afternoon (it is monsoon season). My blue fronted amazon hasn't shown any normal signs of illness (like wheezing, sitting on the bottom of his cage, nasal discharge anything like that), but has seemed a little lethargic the past few days. He has also had loose droppings. He has been eating a normal amount, and has been playing. They have also been doing prescribed burns (there has been a lot of smoke in the air). My parents 2 amazons haven't had contact with mine, but have been behaving he same way, but their cockatoo has been fine. Any ideas on what to do for him (and my parents birds?) Thx!:green:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Make sure to keep the smoke from the burns out!

But other than that it could just be a birdy version of cabin fever. A birds behavior is greatly influenced by the weather: a rainy season means abundant food is to come, longer days mean it's time to mate, etc. I bet when it's raining all day you don't go out as much either.

Keep an eye on him, watch for other changes, but I suspect it's just a response to changes in the environment. Between the rain and the burns I doubt he's getting nearly as much sunlight as usual.

AlaskanRose

Jul 14, 2009
Interior Alaska
Parrots
Red Lored Amazon
We have some very thick forest fire smoke right now, and I have my house shut up and the air cleaner on high, for both me, my bird, and the dogs. It makes a huge difference being able to breathe right. :)

The only symptom I'd be worried about are the loose stools. If that doesn't clear up, then I'd take him to the vet. I worry because they can get sick so fast.

RedsDad

Sep 10, 2009
Springfield Ma.
Parrots
Red Lord Amazon
Miss Red gets the blues and lethargic at this time of the year with the days getting shorter, it takes a few weeks before she becomes her old self again and after 25 + years I've learn that this is her version of cabin fever, so I move her cage near the window and she seems to be happy again,but it wont hurt to keep an eye on him for a while just to make sure

Reds Dad

Sylvestersmommy

Nov 10, 2009
vermont
Parrots
2 blue quakers, 1 orange winged amazon
We own a tanning salon. During the fall/winter season we use our light boxes (not tanning lights) on our feathered friends. These boxes are normally used to aid in SAD, seasonal affect disorder...it helps with our pets too! You can goodle light boxes and get more information.

Most Reactions

Latest posts