A Morning Zombie?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
This may be difficult to answer but am hoping someone may have a similar situation.
My Conure is nearing six years old. During the day his cage is in the living room where I spend most of my time (retired). At 7:00p.m., Buddy has his cage wheeled into his bedroom where he stays until 7:00a.m. He then is wheeled out to the living room and given his breakfast. He has no food with him at bedtime due to a mice problem I had a few years ago.
Every morning when I uncover his cage, he is alert, bright eyed and ready to go. Sometimes you can hear him playing before I get him. If I wait too long to get him, heā€™ll start squawking a bit to let me know he wants to get wheeled out.

But the last week or so heā€™s been quiet at 7:00a.m. Nothingā€¦not a sound. When I uncover him, he seems out of it. Almost like heā€™s sleeping with his eyes open. He looks at me like Iā€™m a stranger. He doesnā€™t move at all. When he does move, he does it in super slow motion and goes to the back of his cage like heā€™s afraid of me. This morning I purposely waited till 8:00a.m. to see if he would sound out when he hears me in the living room. Again, nothing. He never made a sound. When I went in to uncover him, he was somewhat laying on his flat perch and again looking at me like Iā€™m a stranger. His eyes are glazed over and doesnā€™t move.

When I wheel him out, I tell him Iā€™m getting him his breakfast and he then acts perfectly normal as if heā€™s been up for hours. He does his morning poop and greets me like normal. He then eats very well, plays and acts normal all day long.

Nothing has changed recently in his environment or feeding routines. He does love sugar snap peas but not sure if that has anything to do with it (doubt it).
The seasons are changing but there is still some daylight comin in his windows so not totally dark.

The only thing that has changed recently is I have been having a woman Iā€™m seeing staying over only on weekends. She loves Buddy and he likes her also. She leaves on Sunday afternoon. But Buddy has been doing this every morning for the last week or so.
This guest I have has been staying over for just the last month on weekends and Buddy's zombie state has been going on for just the last week.

Any ideas about this zombie like state?

Last edited:

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
This may be difficult to answer but am hoping someone may have a similar situation.
My Conure is nearing six years old. During the day his cage is in the living room where I spend most of my time (retired). At 7:00p.m., Buddy has his cage wheeled into his bedroom where he stays until 7:00a.m. He then is wheeled out to the living room and given his breakfast. He has no food with him at bedtime due to a mice problem I had a few years ago.
Every morning when I uncover his cage, he is alert, bright eyed and ready to go. Sometimes you can hear him playing before I get him. If I wait too long to get him, heā€™ll start squawking a bit to let me know he wants to get wheeled out.

But the last week or so heā€™s been quiet at 7:00a.m. Nothingā€¦not a sound. When I uncover him, he seems out of it. Almost like heā€™s sleeping with his eyes open. He looks at me like Iā€™m a stranger. He doesnā€™t move at all. When he does move, he does it in super slow motion and goes to the back of his cage like heā€™s afraid of me. This morning I purposely waited till 8:00a.m. to see if he would sound out when he hears me in the living room. Again, nothing. He never made a sound. When I went in to uncover him, he was somewhat laying on his flat perch and again looking at me like Iā€™m a stranger. His eyes are glazed over and doesnā€™t move.

When I wheel him out, I tell him Iā€™m getting him his breakfast and he then acts perfectly normal as if heā€™s been up for hours. He does his morning poop and greets me like normal. He then eats very well, plays and acts normal all day long.

Nothing has changed recently in his environment or feeding routines. He does love sugar snap peas but not sure if that has anything to do with it (doubt it).
The seasons are changing but there is still some daylight comin in his windows so not totally dark.

The only thing that has changed recently is I have been having a woman Iā€™m seeing staying over only on weekends. She loves Buddy and he likes her also. She leaves on Sunday afternoon. But Buddy has been doing this every morning for the last week or so.
This guest I have has been staying over for just the last month on weekends and Buddy's zombie state has been going on for just the last week.

Any ideas about this zombie like state?
Honestly that sounds like a very sick bird. Birds are prey animals so they don't usually show signs of illness until they're really sick. It's in their best interests to act normal until they can't anymore so that's probably why he seems normal in the day. Could you take him for a vet visit to see what's up?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Agree with above.
A change in behavior like that would send me to the vet

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Honestly that sounds like a very sick bird. Birds are prey animals so they don't usually show signs of illness until they're really sick. It's in their best interests to act normal until they can't anymore so that's probably why he seems normal in the day. Could you take him for a vet visit to see what's up?
I live about an hour from Cornell University and they have an ornithology department. Iā€˜lol check to see if they have Vet services.
Thanks.

Update - made an appointment with Cornell but canā€™t see him till Nov 7. Tonight will have him sleep in a different room to see if that makes any differenceā€¦a long shot but got to try something.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I live about an hour from Cornell University and they have an ornithology department. Iā€˜lol check to see if they have Vet services.
Thanks.

Update - made an appointment with Cornell but canā€™t see him till Nov 7. Tonight will have him sleep in a different room to see if that makes any differenceā€¦a long shot but got to try something.
I would try to see a different avian vet on an emergency basis while you wait for your appointment at Cornell. Is there any chance the Cornell vet can see your bird sooner as an emergency? Watch you bird for signs that he's getting worse, like refusing food and changes in his poops.

By the way, it must be exciting to be seen at the best ornithology institution in America if not the world! When I think "birds" I think "Cornell". I hope their avian vet services are as excellent as their reputation.

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I would try to see a different avian vet on an emergency basis while you wait for your appointment at Cornell. Is there any chance the Cornell vet can see your bird sooner as an emergency? Watch you bird for signs that he's getting worse, like refusing food and changes in his poops.

By the way, it must be exciting to be seen at the best ornithology institution in America if not the world! When I think "birds" I think "Cornell". I hope their avian vet services are as excellent as their reputation.
Their emergency visits start around $600 and up. I asked them to please contact me if they have a cancellation.
However, I tried something different last night. Usually Buddy sleeps in his own room where there is also a new futon (memory foam) that I bought 6 months ago. The off-gas of the bed was strong so I didnā€™t have him sleep there for the next week. When I did return him to his room, I made sure the door stayed open about a foot. The gas smell was not bad at all, but if you kept the door closed completed and reopened it a few hours later you could smell it somewhat.

Anyway, itā€™s been 6 months and he has shown no signs of problemsā€¦until the above problem happened a few nights ago.
Last night, I had him sleep in the living room as a test.
This morning he was very bright eyed and active like he used to be. In fact his energy was through the roof for just being uncovered. He was playing, jumping around, etc.
?????
I will have him sleep out here again for the next couple nights and then try him back in his room to see if he has any adverse effects.
Its just difficult for me to believe that itā€™s the futon since he hasnā€™t shown any signs of discomfort in the last 6 months.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Their emergency visits start around $600 and up. I asked them to please contact me if they have a cancellation.
However, I tried something different last night. Usually Buddy sleeps in his own room where there is also a new futon (memory foam) that I bought 6 months ago. The off-gas of the bed was strong so I didnā€™t have him sleep there for the next week. When I did return him to his room, I made sure the door stayed open about a foot. The gas smell was not bad at all, but if you kept the door closed completed and reopened it a few hours later you could smell it somewhat.

Anyway, itā€™s been 6 months and he has shown no signs of problemsā€¦until the above problem happened a few nights ago.
This morning he was very bright eyed and active like he used to be. In fact his energy was through the roof for just being uncovered. He was playing, jumping around, etc.
?????
I will have him sleep out here again for the next couple nights and then try him back in his room to see if he has any adverse effects.
Its just difficult for me to believe that itā€™s the futon since he hasnā€™t shown any signs of discomfort in the last 6 months.
That's great you discovered this!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc

?????
I hope this is the reason!

Most Reactions

Latest posts