amazon started to bite

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
Hi new here and great site

we have a male approx 3 yr old male ( as far as we know male) we have had him about 5 mths he seems to like women a lot always says hello if a woman comes into the house,not so with men
my wife spends a lot of time at home with him,i work so not as much
the last few weeks he is fine with me....he will come to me when called and will let me tickle him under neck and even rub his beak he pushes his head towards the bars of his cage so you can touch him,he wouldn't let me do that when we got him,but would let my wife touch him,he even purrs when she does it lol he screams sometimes he don't like being on his own
and doesn't talk much says hello but that's it

anyway today twice he lunged for me as i was just stood next to his cage talking to him a while later i was tickling his neck as we have done lots and he went to bite my finger another lunge but i was to quick for him to get me

my wife touched him a few mins later rubbing his head and he bit her finger he has never been aggressive since we have owned him and to be honest in only 5 mths he has become kind off tame he will take food from your fingers very gently he wont come onto your hand and is ok if your putting things into his cage

he does not come out of his cage at all and all the touching with him is threw the bars of his large cage....he was in a real small cage like a budgie cage when we got him ...was not good at all

my wife now wont go near him :( we have left him for a few hours no talking to him etc i then called him over and he was fine was rubbing the top of his head he was closing his eyes as i do it like most times

don't know why he has started to bite now any ideas???

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

What type of Amazon is he? Do you have any pictures of him and his setup?

Please give him more time. He's only been with you for 5 months, which isn't long at all.

You said when you first got him he was in a budgie-sized caged. How long was he housed in that? And do you know with certainty that he's only 3 years old?

What does his diet consist of?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but the more info we have about him, the better we can possibly help you overcome his "nipping".

MOST Amazons go through mood changes - even long time pets. ;) MOST can be quite unpredictable at times, and you may never know what set him off.

You also said he dosn't leave his new, big cage. Does he have a playstand? A table top perch perhaps? Is he flighted, or have his wings been trimmed?

Again, I apologize for the questions, but we need tons of info in order try and understand him and the situation better. :)

OP
G

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
hi and please ask anything you think may help

he is a blue fronted amazon has ring but no paperwork wings not been clipped

we was told he was male and 3 yrs old by last owner who only had him a short time he got him from someone he knew and he had been in the budgie size cage from first owner so i guess he had been in there at least two yrs or more
he seems much happier in the large cage

his diet have tried lots of fresh fruit and veg ...only seems to like grapes

loves peanuts,toast,egg, eats mostly good quality seed mix and dried fruit mix from local pet store

finding it hard to get him to eat fresh food,just throws it to bottom of cage
we seem to think he just was not given it before we got him, the cage has lots of toys he loves anything with rope and does play with them
we change his toys around and replace when needed

the cage is open top but is never opened it does have a perch that you can fit when the top is open ,just dont know how he will be if we open his cage :confused:
you can open his front door to cage and as long as you dont go near him he is fine,you can move toys etc but you try to get him to step on to your hand and no chance also the same if you try with a small perch

he is much quiet than i thought he would be can be hours and he dont make a sound
only one day he has been very vocal doing laughing etc to be honest a quiet bird

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Wendy asked the proper questions but I was immediately drawn to this statement:

he does not come out of his cage at all and all the touching with him is threw the bars of his large cage.

I don't doubt for a second that if we didn't give any of our flock "free time" they would respond in a very negative manner.

OP
G

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
free time i agree he should have but when he has never had this in the last 3 yrs don't know if its going to cause problems

also he will sometimes if you open his cage will come to you if you call him over and he will let you tickle his neck but only for a short time he seems much happier to let you do it when your not in his space

just worried that today how he has been and he attacked both me and my wife who up to now he has loved the attention from most of all

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, Wharf is right. Your Blue Front sounds quite angry.

As for not wanting to eat the fresh fruits and veggies you are offering, this may help: Instead of ALWAYS leaving a dish in there with a seed mix, REMOVE it, and offer fresh fruits and veggies instead. If you check out the recipe section, there is an abundance of ideas, and you may find something your Blue Front may enjoy. :) Of course I"m not recommending to starve him...just trying to come up with an idea of getting him to eat more than just seeds. Seeds are actually an Amazons worst enemy if given in abundance. :(

You didn't mention whether you have a play perch, play tree, table top perch. I wouldn't recommend opening the playtop cage, instead I DO recommend a place for him away from his cage, LIKE a playstand.

If you have trouble removing him from his cage because he's so afraid of hands, or because you're afraid of getting torn to shreds, place an "inviting" playstand right next to his cage, and see if he comes out. :)

He may be showing signs of cage aggression, now that he's used to his nice, big adobe, and you do not want him to allow to behave like this.

Does he have any favorite treats you could lure him out with?

Has he EVER stood on your arm/hand?

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings, 2 Yellow Naped Amazons, 1 Hahns Macaw
As with any bird you are going to bit at some time, there is no avoiding this.

I have two 'Zon's, both male, who bite - sometimes playfully, sometimes not so much. But if you let the fear of being bit take over, you will not allow the opportunity to develop a relationship with your bird.

My 'Zon's and I have a very close relationship. They know that everyday when I get home from work they will get there one-on-one time with me. I suppose I have a closer relationship with them than most would believe, but my lil guys are very special to me and I think they know this. The way that I am able to play with them, teach them to talk, and things that we do together are unique. But If I allowed fear of being bit to rule me, I would not have the special friendship that I share with my 'Zon's now. I will say that I believe you need to allow your little guy some more time out of the cage. Bring treats with you when you approach him and let him out. :)

OP
G

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
has never stood on arm or hand
trying to get him to eat more of the food he should have wont be easy but will try what you said
treats he loves peanuts
he has a large rope circle swing which he loves to swing on and bite also has hanging toys which he loves to play with

i was thinking of putting a play perch in the opening of the top of his cage but i guess thats not for the best

thanks for everyones help

SharonC

May 26, 2010
It sounds as if in his previous homes, he had no contact with humans? A Budgie sized cage? The poor thing is probably quite overstimulated by all the new stuff...Good for you!

Give him time to trust you. Five months is not long...it is basically what is referred to as the "honeymoon" period. He's now getting used to his new digs, and is getting more confident. Spend lots of time talking to him, sitting by his cage...I used to sing to Fred when he was new to my house. When you offer your arm for a step up, let him say NO if he wants to...it sounds like he's had a rough time, and doesn't trust people. I can understand that your wife is now scared of him, but for her to avoid him is a big mistake. She needs to hang out with him, talking soothingly. No touching for now, if it's difficult. He'll come around.

I do have to say that most Amazon owners do get bitten periodically. I hadn't been bitten in a very long time,(a year oe so) but he got me last week, for no reason that I could see. Learn to read the bird's body language. Amazons are fairly easy to read...pinning of the eyes, fanned tail, etc means he's getting irritated...and will probably bite is pushed further.

I have had Fred for almost two years, and he is now at the point where he " knows" the rules, and he knows what is unacceptable behavior to me. Rules have to be taught kindly, and consistently. Biting always meant back to the cage. He learned quickly....

Do open the cage door, and let him out sometimes. You can have his flight feathers clipped temporarily, if that makes you more comfortable around him, but he needs to be a part of the family. If you can't get him to go back into his cage, lure him in with a treat.

Take your time and be patient. I remember how it felt to be a little afraid of Fred. I had bruises, and he brought blood several times, before we came to an understanding. Fred learned my rules, but I also had to learn his.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Just 2 more things, I know this will sound difficult, but it can be done. :)

WAIT for him to come to you to be petted. Then only pet him a VERY VERY short time, leave him be...wanting more cuddles ;)

He can read you and your wife like a book, and he will sense fear and/or apprehension. Try not to be afraid of his beak :)

Ok...I lied...three things: Peanuts, even though inhaled with gusto by most Amazons, are not a healthy treat. Please feed them VERY sparingly.

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings, 2 Yellow Naped Amazons, 1 Hahns Macaw
It sounds as if in his previous homes, he had no contact with humans? A Budgie sized cage? The poor thing is probably quite overstimulated by all the new stuff...Good for you!

Give him time to trust you. Five months is not long...it is basically what is referred to as the "honeymoon" period. He's now getting used to his new digs, and is getting more confident. Spend lots of time talking to him, sitting by his cage...I used to sing to Fred when he was new to my house. When you offer your arm for a step up, let him say NO if he wants to...it sounds like he's had a rough time, and doesn't trust people. I can understand that your wife is now scared of him, but for her to avoid him is a big mistake. She needs to hang out with him, talking soothingly. No touching for now, if it's difficult. He'll come around.

I do have to say that most Amazon owners do get bitten periodically. I hadn't been bitten in a very long time,(a year oe so) but he got me last week, for no reason that I could see. Learn to read the bird's body language. Amazons are fairly easy to read...pinning of the eyes, fanned tail, etc means he's getting irritated...and will probably bite is pushed further.

I have had Fred for almost two years, and he is now at the point where he " knows" the rules, and he knows what is unacceptable behavior to me. Rules have to be taught kindly, and consistently. Biting always meant back to the cage. He learned quickly....

Do open the cage door, and let him out sometimes. You can have his flight feathers clipped temporarily, if that makes you more comfortable around him, but he needs to be a part of the family. If you can't get him to go back into his cage, lure him in with a treat.

Take your time and be patient. I remember how it felt to be a little afraid of Fred. I had bruises, and he brought blood several times, before we came to an understanding. Fred learned my rules, but I also had to learn his.

Very well said! :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
While it's important to be kind, don't let him see that you can be intimidated. He'll take advantage of that...in fact, he's probably doing a little of that now.

I just wanted to add...I was considering taking Fred back to his original owner during the first two weeks. He bit hard and often. I was scared and thought he was just plain mean. This is Fred last Christmas...after being with me for six months...

MVI_5960.mp4 video by SharonC_album | Photobucket

I worked with him a lot during those six months. He loves me very much, as I do him.
Amazons are very fun birds, and are very smart. Your guy will be a very much enjoyed member of your family, if you handle him properly in the coming months....:)

OP
G

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
by the sounds of things he has too many peanuts
i agree he most prob has had an awful first 3 yrs when i seen him for sale and the picture of his cage he was in i had to have him

OP
G

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
wow just watched that video cant believe that's the same bird that you described

SharonC

May 26, 2010
He's not the same bird...my family all say that he's a totally different bird. :D

You can do that too!:):):)...with kindness, respect, firmness(Amazons need firm consistency)and love!

OP
G

greenflag

Dec 30, 2012
he is very fond of the wife never ever thought he would have bitten her,he purrs like a cat when she strokes him have tried to teach him new words but he only says hello......a lot when we are eating dinner lol

need to sort out his diet and he needs some time out of cage going to be a long road me thinks

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Not sure if you're aware of this, as stated, the Zons absolutely worship the wife and she can do anything she wants with them. I however do not have that luxury. Even though I feed them every day, I get bit by both of them every single time. Granted, it's not usually a strong bite but it has happened. I also spend time with them in the office every day as well, we have had them over a year and I still can't pet either of them. One is nicer to me than the other but just barely. In all this time together I just recently was able to "hug" one of them for the first time. I'm very tenacious and steadfast when it comes to dealing with them, when the wife isn't in the office they will sit on the back of my chair and stay there 95% of the time. I adore them and love them but it's definitely one-sided, but I absolutely refuse to give up, I have no doubt I will one day win them over to like me. Fortunately, I have a very strong bond with the Green Wings so for now I do have them. :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Amazons do tend to choose their people, but they can learn to at least tolerate the "unchosen". Fred does not like my husband. He tolerates him, but will bite if hubby tries to touch him. That no longer happens, as hubby is a little afraid of Fred. Fred could have learned that it was not OK to bite him, as it is not OK to bite me...but hubby didn't choose to teach him that. He's my bird, so that's OK.

Rules are important, more so with bigger birds like Amazons. Fred has learned that he can say NO with a gentle nip, but a bite gets him back in the cage. He's learned that when it's time for bed, there's no point in arguing. He's allowed to scream and have fun, and he gets to destroy his toys. He's not allowed to chew my furniture. Last month, one of my Finches flew into Fred's cage with Fred in it! He moved toward the little Finch with mouth open. I said NO, FRED, DON'T TOUCH, and he immediately backed off, and let me get the little Finch.... who did not even have the sense to look scared!

These birds are highly intelligent, and it is surprising what they can learn.......

Most Reactions