Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wow, Levi has demolished a PoB ? That is one determined bird, I would have thought these PoB's almost indestructable, but of course nothing is when it comes to parrots. If they want to destroy something it pretty much goes by the boards in a matter of time.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Wow, Levi has demolished a PoB ? That is one determined bird, I would have thought these PoB's almost indestructable, but of course nothing is when it comes to parrots. If they want to destroy something it pretty much goes by the boards in a matter of time.

Haha :D Yes, indeed it's true.
He has only 1 loop left for hanging toys. :(
The bummer was he was making what could have been an escape hole. SO, I couldn't use it and it was in the shop for weeks last spring. :(
So, having a back up is a good idea for him. This one for $100 is great for us.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Oh...I made a f@ck-@p with the expensive waterbottle that goes with the POB:

I put it in the dishwasher!! :12: :eek:

It is now half the size it used to be :46:

(I only put it in there once so I could be sure it was really, really clean... I did not trust my handywork... go figure.

Found it secondhand in a bunch of hamstercage-extraas, so no big loss, but I feel really really stupid.)

==

Wow, Levi really is a determined grey!
I was hoping that one would be a rolemodel for mine. ;)
(now... not so much)

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I found this bird backpack carrier on Amazon for $100:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714KS7LP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_z1kpCb19XJYQH

It looks very similar to the Pak-o-Bird except that the front is clear instead of mesh. This carrier is half the price of the Pak-o-Bird. What do you think?

OOOO, I like that and the price. Levi has done a demolition job on his POB. I've already put an extra $45 into it to repair it once & it's almost time again to get it to the seamstress. I think I'm going to purchase this one as a back up when his POB is in the shop for repair.

Thanks for sharing ;)

PS) Let me know if anyone buys this, as I'm curious about sizing. Maybe I missed it, but it looks like a 1 size fits all?
This is one of my concerns with using a less expensive and possibly less well made backpack. A backpack by design puts the bird out of your sight and if it begins to chew, you really have no idea until you stop and remove the pack.

Unless of course you use my camera modification [emoji16]

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I would love a video! I think I’m leaning towards a Birdie Gogo because I don’t really need all the extra features. The Gogo is lighter and less bulky and the bird has a wider range of view. Thank you everyone for your input :)

Ok, give me about 15 hours - work and life has been a bit hectic, but I'll squeeze a quick video out this evening.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
I might have a difficult time spending $190 on this ;)

https://www.celltei.com/products/hawk-headed-parrot-embroidery-only.html?fbshop=1

Celltei_Hawk_headed_Parrot_Image__52956.1532220490.jpg

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Oh...that you can ask anyone with a computeractivated 'sowingmachine' (embroiderymachine?) to do.
It's how they they make patches etc.etc.
Just send in a picture- they scan it and the machine does the work...

there are a lot of sowingclubs that have one for communal use, and they will make you one.

Of course having a Nike-only POB is really grand.

OP
FlyBirdiesFly

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I have one question. Do you find that a lot of light gets in through the mesh or is it a little dark inside? It doesn’t look like you can see through the mesh very well from the outside, and I was wondering if it looks different from the inside (since the whole point is so the bird can see the outdoors).

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I also have a question. Are you happy with it? B/c I am seriously considering getting one.

This is round 2 with Levi’s PoB. So, even though the Medium PoB was created for the African Grey, that doesn’t mean it is indestructible. :(
Last time it cost $45. I'm thinking this time it may be more?
And he only destroys the one side.

tami2-albums-misc-picture21038-pob-1.jpg

tami2-albums-misc-picture21039-pob-2.jpg

tami2-albums-misc-picture21040-pob-3.jpg

tami2-albums-misc-picture21041-pob-4.jpg

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
I have one question. Do you find that a lot of light gets in through the mesh or is it a little dark inside? It doesn’t look like you can see through the mesh very well from the outside, and I was wondering if it looks different from the inside (since the whole point is so the bird can see the outdoors).

[ame="https://youtu.be/T9sGwlBUc94"]pak-o-bird5 24 16 - YouTube[/ame]

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Tami, you should take it out of his allowance ;)

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
We did test it, and there's good light and vision from the inside. Which is why I do bring the scarf to cover it up. Cairo definitely sees outside - he 100% responds to stimulus (he will even panic if he can't see us), though he acts as though the Birdie GoGo is his magical protector cage against the world (he'll practice vocab and start chattering away inside).

I'm very happy with it, especially for the price. It works for our lifestyle - lightweight, easy to maneuver, etc. I live in a hot and humid country, so this is perfect for us. We don't need all the ++ of the Pak-o-Bird, but if you do need all the extra features then you'd have to carry a separate bag - like I said, we carry essentially a baby bag for Cairo with everything from wipes to toys, chop to spray bottle, so we're quite happy with it.

The only foreseeable complaint is that because it's mostly mesh, it can sag at the food bowl points if your bird continually steps on the food bowl (but I tackle this by constantly switching which side it's on).

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Tami, you should take it out of his allowance ;)

You're right, I should. :D

Love your video, Nike is adorable. Levi never talks when we are out walking. He just whistles and make sounds.

Joon

Nov 28, 2016
Lotus Land
Parrots
Two adorable Yellow Nape Amazons and a Military Macaw. Double Yellow Headed Amazon (RIP)
Tami, I have two of the pack-o-birds for my amazons. The one that likes to chew fabric took a bunch of stitching out around one of the food bowls on the trip home in his snazzy new carrier. I gave him a sacrificial towel which redirected his chewing to something allowable.

And I've thought about contacting Celltei to see if they'd make a couple of plastic panels that can cover the food bowl areas to at least deter him from doing it again. It might be an option that could work for your bird?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
Tami: maybe get the extra-wide panelling (they use in cockatoo POBs) at least that wil protect the zipup area when the POB is closed.

Charmed - great vid! (Kind of wow-ed how fast you did that as well)

Most Reactions