An Aussie Newbie :D

Marayks

Sep 11, 2012
Adelaide Australia
Parrots
Galah (Sheldon) unknown age
Thanks Ari - will continue with the spray bottle - and yes he will tolerate a quick spray or two but then flies away - it's good to know that he might still change his mind. I'm sure you are going to love your new baby - sure she won't be Larry but then Larry sounds like he was one of a kind anyway - I'm hoping that as time passes Sheldon will get less freaked out by everything and learn to trust me more... had a bit of a wrestle with him yesterday on the bed (first time). I actually pushed him over and had him on his back for about 10 seconds and although it went well he continued to bite me pretty hard until I put him away again, a bit like kid not knowing when the game was over. Once back in the cage he was ravenous so maybe he was just biting me a lot because he was hungry.... I have to say he has impressive beak control - he can bite really hard without breaking the skin and gave me a bruise on my wrist - again without breaking the skin - I'm sure if he really wanted to he could rip my fingers to bits... Hey and I know it's too late but I don't find Sheldon all that noisey...sure when he flies around it can be a bit loud but he lets me sleep in till around 8:30am without a peep and yes the minute he sees me and then I leave the room he'll squeal but it's not major....

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Both moustaches are girls :) So there is a girl there for me... if I want it.

I am seriously having a rethink. I am not too keen on the idea of having more than one parrot... and any parrot I get now will be with us for potentially 30 years. Im in my early 30's... so that potentially means I will be 60 before I have the chance to bring hom a new bird again. I'm thinking.... do I really want to spend the rest of my life with a parrot I have compromised to have instead of a parrot I truly want with all my heart?

So I am having a good long hard think about it. I am terribly concerned a moustache just wont fill the hole left in my heart where previous birds have been. Its big shoes to fill... and I am used to the cuddly little clowns... can I deal with a bird who would prefer not to be touched? Can I deal with a bird who might potentially bond with my partner instead of me... if a galah were to bond with my partner he would still at least be playful and happy with me and my daughter also. And you know what they say about the devil you know :)

I have some time. I have tracked down a galah breeder who is handraising bubs now and will be ready in 6 weeks. I have a deposit on the moustache for now, but am very concerned. I haven't exactly heard rave reviews from their owners. I've told the handrearer about my doubts so she is prepared for me to pull out and I am prepared to lose my deposit if it means ensuring I will have the right bird.

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I have been debating the species for MONTHS. The longer I allow myself to debate which species, the more confused I get and the more impossible the choice is.

Why did I have to find a cage with big bar spaces :( I would get another GCC, I know my partner can tolerate them.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Same thing with me, couldn't decide between a sun conure, gcc or a cockatiel. I chose the sunnie

Marayks

Sep 11, 2012
Adelaide Australia
Parrots
Galah (Sheldon) unknown age
Oh Ari I feel for you - it is a major decision - i am also having doubts - I had a friend staying with me this weekend and not only was the responsibility tough (as in we've got to go home now I need to do xyz with Sheldon) but we had a full on attack by him to her - he'd been flirting with her whilst in the cage, being mr charming - I then let him out and he fully went for her - and then me - a bit of a nightmare frankly - and it completely stressed everybody, including Sheldon. This makes me rethink a lot of things. I do enjoy having a parrot but he's a bit unpredictable. Recently we've been having loving cuddles when he'll suddenly seems to 'turn' spreads his wings and rolls his head around and around and tries to bite me - this is very disconcerting as he's on my chest and very close to my face... Sigh. He certainly ain't no Larry. still in two minds about clipping as I am concerned about him injuring himself - as you know they like hanging upside down and he does occasionally drop from that but of course can 'right' himself by flying... Although I've invested a fair amount of money (cage, perch, toys, vet) and time (cleaning! Responsibility!) I'm really not sure I can fully commit. I think I'm going to give it 6 months and then reassess - we have come a fair way in 2 months but the attacks on friends and family is a major concern - never mind me, the chunk he took out of my finger still hurts - once again what have I gotten myself into......and by the way have you considered an African Grey? Just read a book about one and they are super smart and brilliant talkers and very playful - not as pretty as a Galah in my humble opinion but perhaps an option? Hopefully not adding to the indecision! Keep us posted!

Most Reactions