An unwell Audrey :(

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
No it shouldn't be seasonal at all. All my eclectus live outdoors, are exposed to the elements. Fresh air, sunshine & rain. I just think maybe my eclectus have a strong immune system than those kept indoors. Touch wood haven't had one of mine sick in 12 years.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
That is great ! A strong immune system is so important.
I type this on a wood desk , touching with my foot :)
I haven't experienced a sick bird and i don't ever want to !
Heres to keeping our babies healthy , God Bless.

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I disinfect Audrey's cage weekly (not including when I changer her papers daily or just wipe her cage down) so her area is kept pretty clean. One of the ladies at the vet(Receptionist) tried to tell me that I am leaving her food out for too long. She said fruit & veg left out for more then 2 hours will give her a bacteria infection but I discussed it with my breeder and she said that it wouldn't be true as long as the fruit & veg was fresh (which it is). I just thought well how do people who work full time feed their bird? They can't come home every 2 hours to change it.. I don't know. What are your thoughts on this? The actual vet said that its very possible Audrey may have ingested mould spores from Hay. I recently got two rabbits and the timing did fit, the vet said sometimes hay can contain mould spores. But I don't know. She does live inside so her immune system wouldn't be as good as an outside bird. When I get a house (or just somewhere with a backyard!!!) Audrey will be getting an outside aviary, but at the moment its not possible, I only have a small balcony and it can be seen by everyone so I wouldn't feel safe having her on there, it would be an opening for people to decide they want to steal her lol.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I know my conures vet told me never to let him eat a piece of food after me or pick my teeth, our bacteria in our mouth can be hazardous to our birds..My conure and eclectus have the same avian vet. She is awesome with the conure but as time goes by I realize she is not experienced with an eclectus, yesterday when i asked she noted this is her first eclectus she has treated..I know she is a good avian vet, but I question her advice when it comes to eclectus on nutrition now.

I clean my girls cage daily to, i also wipe it down because she cleans her beak and leaves a mess on the bars. I leave gitanas food out, she gets a bowl in the AM and another smaller size during the evening, My girl likes to eat. I have read where its said you should remove the food after a couple hours if i did this my girl would starve, because she eats a bit , talks, plays around, eats somemore LOL she is not one to eat until she if full she grazes all day long.

I do tend to feed her like fruits and beans at night in a small amount she will get that down before her bedtime. In the AM i try to stay away from fruits that I know could turn color left in a bowl for hours so she gets leefy greens, carrots bellpepper jalapeno..Basiclly I thought if i can leave the veggie or fruit on my counter all day without it going nasty thats what i put in her bowl in the AM.. Beans i watch very carefully as they can get nasty quickly so thats why i put those at PM i can get to that bowl and wash it out.

Last edited:
OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Well the vet I saw had no problems with the way I was feeding Audrey, I told her that I only give her a bowl of seed at night. I do this because If I offer seeds all day as well as veg Audrey will favour the seeds. But the receptionist who told me about the fruit said I should offer her seeds all day and put her onto a pellet diet as well and I didn't take any notice of it. I know she has been around birds all day at her job but it seems she doesn't know much about eccy diets..

Most Reactions