And here he is :) my new red belly

No_where1976

Apr 2, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Red Belly Parrot :)
Here's my new red belly!! So very happy! He's exploring the cage now. He isn't used to being handled but hope to change that soon enough.

My first question is what does everyone feed their red bellies? I fed my Quaker pellets but the lady at the pet store insisted no! So I just left with a version of what they were feeding him. I'm going to stop at a different pet store after I pick up my son from school. Any suggestions would be great!

Right now he's making happy noises. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 322

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
he sure is cute!!

for now while he is still new in your home, i would keep him on what he was fed before to keep something familiar to what he is used to so he doesnt stress too much, but eventually add in pellets. when new birds go to a new home, sometimes they need the comfort of familiarity. having a familiar food will help him adjust better

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Cute cute cute!! I agree. Keep himon what he is used to for now just to make the transition easier and then switch him up to what you've decided.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I feed all my parrots higgens gormet sun conure mix along with fresh veg, fruits, carbs and protein foods, pasta ,cooked meats, etc. Oh he is gorgeous. Tiki already has a crush:D:)

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Congrats! I hope you find as much joy in your redbelly as I have found in mine. Mango was on an all-seed diet when I got him and at his first vet visit he was nutritionally deficient in quite a few vitamins and underweight. We added Harrison's coarse pellets, and he changed completely. I would definitely recommend this food if you can get it. I had to trick him into thinking it was my food to get him to eat it, but now he loves it. Mango's diet is about 50% pellets, 40% veggies, and 10% fruit. He gets seeds as rewards only. He has constant access to raw carrot, red pepper, broccoli or some other greens, he gets fresh blue berries or pomegranate every morning (his absolute favorite) along with a mix of other frozen berries warmed up in the microwave. He gets cooked sweet potato, carrot, corn, or peas on occasion when we eat them. He occasionally gets a piece of apple, melon, orange, banana etc as a treat. I also feed about a tablespoon of home-made bird mash once a week for variety. Our last visit to the vet revealed that Mango is a picture of perfect health!
I agree that you should add foods slowly as your new baby gets use to you and your house. In my experience these guys need loads of toys, especially foraging toys. I hide blue berries all over Mango's cage an its his favorite game. Please be sure to post lots of pics!!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
What did the pet store insist he should eat? Just curoius :)

It's called Higgins Safflower Gold.

Oh, that's just a seed mix. I hope they also recommended fresh foods. I'm surprised and a little sad, I thought they would have some awesome fresh/dehydrated food mix you cook or something.

I agree, Harrison's is a fantastic pellet. I can buy mine locally but I prefer ordering it online from my safe bird because it's cheaper. Rosie gets Harrison's fine while Kenji gets Harrison's course. Course is better for birds who like to hold their food while fine is good for birds like Rosie who eats right out of the bowl.

OP
N

No_where1976

Apr 2, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I have to say I am completely in love!! He's happily chattering away :)

Copperarabian the pet store did not suggest fresh foods at all. I'm going to introduce them to him slowly. As a matter of fact every pellet diet I picked up there was something wrong with that variety according to the associate. I had read online about some of them and I think I will just order some.

He has let me feed him through the cage! He's still wary. I click to him then he turns around and takes what I have. I don't want to do too much too quick so I'm just sitting here chattering back to him.

I'm so happy I got him. Now to decide on a name......we are thinking maybe Phoenix?

Thank you everyone for the replies I'm off to take more pics :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Awe!!!! Look at that cute baby face!!!!!!! So adorable!

PS, I agree with the two previous posters! A pellet diet far outweighs the "pros" of a seed diet! (unless you can provide a fresh food diet with sprouted seeds, grains and legumes, and lots of fruits and vegetables, too!)

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
What did the pet store insist he should eat? Just curoius :)

It's called Higgins Safflower Gold.

Oh, that's just a seed mix. I hope they also recommended fresh foods. I'm surprised and a little sad, I thought they would have some awesome fresh/dehydrated food mix you cook or something.

I agree, Harrison's is a fantastic pellet. I can buy mine locally but I prefer ordering it online from my safe bird because it's cheaper. Rosie gets Harrison's fine while Kenji gets Harrison's course. Course is better for birds who like to hold their food while fine is good for birds like Rosie who eats right out of the bowl.
Yeah i agree i have fed that mix as a treat. Sam likes Zupreem okay, and he will eat higgins intune or Roudybush. He is sooooo adorable. Does he have a name? Also Sam likes fresh fruit veggies best.

Last edited:
OP
N

No_where1976

Apr 2, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Hi Parrotdise! We've named him Phoenix. Zupreem is what I was trying to pick up at the pet store but the lady said no that's no good for him I prefer seeds for variety. Zupreem is what I had my Quaker on lol. I got Phoenix to taste carrots tonight. I was very proud! I will introduce pellets probably tomorrow and see what happens he is so interested in everything! I'm attaching one last photo of my adorable guy for tonight. Many more will follow. ;)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
A lot of people love zupreem(natural! Not the colored pellets!), I don't like that they add sugar to their blend, but it is better than a seed diet. Continue to introduce fresh veggies and some fruit.

Again I would like to recommend Harrison's, it is a very good brand. I get mine from my safe bird store.com who have great prices.

Last edited:

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Yeah the natural one is the best of the zupreems, i have tried them all, well not me my birds ;)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yeah the natural one is the best of the zupreems, i have tried them all, well not me my birds ;)

Lol, I always try at least one of Rosie's pellets. Zupreem fruit blend is nasty XD so is roudy bush and lafeaber's. Harrison's isn't too bad but not good. The Harrison's power treats were actually kinda good.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Love the name.:)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well I know I'm gonna hear it from cooper and others but I like the zu preem fruit blend.... I mix it with natural pellets and pretty bird and Harrison's plus the on top of that a hi quality seed mix also from Higgins called sunburst... When we mix food it ends ups being over 100 pounds mixed and that lasts quite awhile, but obviously you don't need to do that but I cant say fruit blend is a horrible mix by far it is way better then all seed.

Beautiful red bellied, take it slow with her they have a real issue with phobia and it is hard to fix took me awhile to fix our rescue red bellied(2 years), and she just came around this weekend for the first time.

Goodluck and keep us posted!

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots

Lol, I always try at least one of Rosie's pellets. Zupreem fruit blend is nasty XD so is roudy bush and lafeaber's. Harrison's isn't too bad but not good. The Harrison's power treats were actually kinda good.
Lol i have not gotten the guts up to do that but i admit did try the mash i made them, and it was kinda nasty. My birds never liked the kelp powder to be in it and i see why. I always omit it now.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
Well I know I'm gonna hear it from cooper and others but I like the zu preem fruit blend.... I mix it with natural pellets and pretty bird and Harrison's plus the on top of that a hi quality seed mix also from Higgins called sunburst... When we mix food it ends ups being over 100 pounds mixed and that lasts quite awhile, but obviously you don't need to do that but I cant say fruit blend is a horrible mix by far it is way better then all seed.

Beautiful red bellied, take it slow with her they have a real issue with phobia and it is hard to fix took me awhile to fix our rescue red bellied(2 years), and she just came around this weekend for the first time.

Goodluck and keep us posted!

i feed fruitblend to my tiels, they had been eating hagen but then decided they did not like it at all and refused to touch it for weeks. i tried them on the zupreem natural and zupreem fruitblend and they much prefer the fruitblend, will not touch the natural (pick it up and spit it back out). its what they like, so i dont complain. the lovebirds like the natural though.

so regardless, if your bird doesnt like one brand of pellets, try others. they might take to another kind.

but, remember, variety is best in any diet. that's mostly what bird owners of any kind should focus on, as much variety as they can give :D mashes and birdie breads are excellent ways to sneak in more variety, especially with picky birds. your bird doesnt like a veggie? toss it in some birdie bread and they will unknowingly eat it :54:

Most Reactions

Latest posts