Angry GCC

kikimorka

Dec 2, 2014
Amsterdam
Parrots
Volt - GCC
Hello! My first post here.
I have an adorable green cheek conure Volt, it is my first bird. The problem is he gets angry sometimes - out of the blue. It looks like this:
[ame="http://youtu.be/RYqF9tCVwiE"]Angry Green Cheek Conure - YouTube[/ame]
He also often makes clicking sounds along this head bobbing.

I'm wondering if your birds act the same?

Also, he is not interested in toys at all! I bought a swing for him, but he is terribly afraid of it. All he wants is to sit on my shoulder and to baths. But I'm working, and he sits the whole day alone at his cage. Any tips?

Thanks!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
That's not anger but an attempt to regurgitate food, as in feeding a mate or babies, very normal.:)

Maybe try some different types of toys like the ones that are very shred-able.

OP
K

kikimorka

Dec 2, 2014
Amsterdam
Parrots
Volt - GCC
Oh my, thanks. I would never guess it.
Hope, he will not try to feed me with that :D

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Aww...he loves you! :30:

ToriJo

Nov 12, 2014
Ontario Canada
Parrots
KiKi 2yr old GCC
my GCC always seems afraid of her toys too BUT THEN one day I took a nap at home (typically during the day I'm in class/library and when I'm home she never played with toys) and woke up to her shaking and playing with her toys!

I'd suggest just being aware of the size/degree of movement of the toys. While bigger ones look more enticing - and probably are for toos and macwas! - are more intimidating for our smaller birds. A few of the toys my GCC came with didn't seem very played were the bigger ones! If you've already bought some big ones don't worry! Some toys you can take appart or thin to make them more inviting or even use a piece of one toy combined with another. Perches can also be a fun toy, a variety of types and enough space to climb all around can entertain your bird too :D

OP
K

kikimorka

Dec 2, 2014
Amsterdam
Parrots
Volt - GCC
Thanks, guys!

I will try to find some other toys. The problem is he is such a coward :)

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
My conure JellyBean never seemed to enjoy his toys - then he found wine corks!!! OMG he just adores them! Shreds them apart... Also anything metal and shiny....

BobbyFeathers

Oct 15, 2014
Parrots
Bobby Feathers, GCC, hatch date April 10 2014
I just wanted to post about my conure Bobby not playing with toys ever, that was worrying me because when we are not in the house she is always in her tent in the cage and when we open the door she runs out of the cage and wants to hang out. she just wants to be with us all the time doesnt care about the toys at all! I even made her a playground but she never uses it :(

OP
K

kikimorka

Dec 2, 2014
Amsterdam
Parrots
Volt - GCC
My conure JellyBean never seemed to enjoy his toys - then he found wine corks!!! OMG he just adores them! Shreds them apart... Also anything metal and shiny....

Thanks! I showd a wine cork to my bird - he totally freaked out :D I tried to chew it myself - he still was not convinced. Keep trying :)

Most Reactions