animal crackers?

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Freedom is a *fiend* for animal crackers. Definitely on the favorite foods list. We buy a lot of these and use them as treats for, well, for most of our animals.

I try to limit them, because they are mostly flour and sugar, but Freedom would waddle thru hot coals for some animal crackers. I assume enriched flour, which adds another dimention of "feed sparingly"... too much iron. When she has had a larger amount of the crackers, we limit citrus which increases iron absorption.. how much of them can we give her, or do I have to break her heart alltogether and try to wean her onto a better cookie option? It is only one item in her rotation of treats, but obviously a serious favorite. We break them into pieces for her too, so it isn't like we are handing her cracker after cracker after cracker. She thinks she is getting that, but in reality on a heavy animal cracker day she will get maybe, MAYBE 3-5 thru the whole day.

Eta: we started the animal cracker thing with all the critters after our vet suggested them as a super cheap and easy to get cookie that can be shared by pretty much anyone and everyone in the house. The vet uses them during exams and it sure helped keep our rescue pups calm.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would say 1 animal cracker per day max and I have a bird of a similar size. You can break it into bits and use those as rewards, but you don't want all of that iron and sugar etc. You could end up with a diabetic bird..then there are the preservatives which have been shown to contribute to plucking. In my opinion, 3-5 is a lot. That is 1/3 of a human serving size at 5...and even human children are 30+ lbs...we are talking about a bird who probably doesn't weigh more than 2lbs. You should never be giving citrus more then a few times per week in very small doses--it should ALWAYS be extremely limited (we are talking 1 small tangerine wedge each time). I was told this by 2 vets and a breeder and they were referring to 1-2 lb (large) parrots when saying that citrus should be extremely minimal in a parrot's diet (e.g., a small tangerine wedge 2 times a week, but not more).

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've used bits of animal crackers and find them a good treat in moderation. I'd agree one a day max and just a few days per week? Also use regular Cheerios, limited to a few per day periodically. They love the "birdie donut" ambiance and are relatively low in sugar/salt given the quantity.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I actually just read something the other day about cheerios being *way* higher in iron than the box states. We used to feed them out at the parrot shop, but knowing that now I don't know if I am likely to feed them here. The article was actually saying the level was high enough that 2 bowls for breakfast was something insane like close to 44mg of iron, and in the "dangerous high" range for adult male humans. I'll try to find the article again.

Hmm, why the citrus warning? I have always fed citrus in rotation. I give maybe 1 or 2 whole small clemintines in a week, but then won't feed orange type things again for AGES. I try to not feed too much of any one thing. And thanks for the heads up. Ms. Fatty Freedom Pants will have to learn to love some other crunchy type yummy tasty. Maybe I'll bake something crunchy for her myself. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Citrus can lead to iron storage disease. Their acidity can also lead to issues in some birds (internally and with regard to beaks).

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
I am confused what is unique about citrus, though. The vitamin c in citrus increases iron uptake from food by up to 67%, but vitamin c is in much more than citrus. In humans, it only takes 100mg to produce this effect. And many fruits and veg are acidic too, so that isn't unique to citrus.

I would wonder if feeding a basic food item at the same time as high acid, and avoiding iron with high vit c meals would be enough to render citrus harmless?

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Further reading... seems almonds would be a good food to feed in conjunction with citrus. They are basic, and they have phytic acid, which inhibits iron uptake. I will keep reading, but I think personally I will continue to feed citrus, tho differently than i have in the past. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Sorry for so many posts in a row. Decaffinated tea(CO2 dec., not ethyl acetate dec.) also seems to be something to explore as a way to limit iron uptake via polyphenols. Many avenues it seems.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
It's not just citrus, it is the acidity of the citrus and the vitamin C. Tomatoes are another one that must be extremely moderated, as should fruits like kiwis etc.
All I know is that 2 CAVs told me to limit it to 1-2 tangerine slices in a one-week period---unless you are very confident that you know all of the risks, I would be careful assuming that you can off-set the negative impacts with other foods.
Iron absorption is not the only issue-- they can actually get ulcers etc.

Most Reactions