ANNOYING sound

sunnysmommy

Dec 28, 2010
Souderton, PA
Parrots
Sunny, WB Caique-
Maxie and Rambo, funny little tiels-
Murphy, (aka Bam-Bam!)YN Amazon
I told you all that I took in that previously abused amazon that was in the freezing cold basement with no water. He snaps and lunges alot and sometimes lets me pet his head through the bars so far. We try to take him out onto the table perch each night for a while for a change of scenery and so I can service his cage. Anyway, I'm writing to ask a question. He makes a rather loud constant repetative honk, cluck thing, actually sounds like a sneaker on the floor in a basketball court but VERY loud. Over and over and over all the time until I'm ready to jump off the roof from frustration. It's awful. I worry abut the neighbors hearing it for one thing, but it's awful to my peace of mind as well since it's so LOUD. Is this an Amazon thing or just a bad habit he's developed in his abused life? Jesus, if he would just not do it on occasion. Please advise. I've tried saying no, I've tried whispering to him when he does it to get him to drop it down a notch, but nothing works. I've also tried music. Louder, softer, everything I can think of to distract him when he does this which, as I've mentioned is most of the time, If I visit him in his room a bit he does it even louder when I leave the room. It's hard to block out even from another room as it's so loud. HELP!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am not familiar with Amazons.

I copied this particular section from one of my bird books.
Hope this is useful

Amazons are usually quite noisy birds and it is part of their normal behavior as adults to have regular screaming sessions in the morning and late afternoon. These usually last no more than half an hour. If the bird does start to make a loud repetitive noise for much of the day, then this is likely to be due to boredom. Birds which spend too long in their cages will be prone to this behavior, so they need to be out more and be kept occupied. In cases where a bird has plenty of time out of the cage but still starts to make a loud noise which causes a problem, it is vital that you do not inadvertently ‘reward’ this behavior by giving the bird any attention, including saying ‘No’ to him. The best action is for everyone simply to leave the room each time your bird starts to produce the unwanted noise, or when you feel it has lasted for too long. Eventually most birds realize that their behavior has caused you to leave. When your parrot makes this connection, he will have the incentive to stop making the unwanted noise.

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Wisconsin :)
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
I would also like to know how to stop a bird from doing a behavior like this. My Baby has recently started making this loud, LOUD, fake barking screeching sound. I think she's trying to copy my Chihuahua, just TEN times higher pitched and louder. She goes on for a few minutes and won't stop, and does this a couple times a day. I wasn't sure how to stop it so I've just ignored her for now so I won't make it worse. For the most part she's low key, or just sings, this has been a recent developement. She seems really happy when she does it, but I would be nice if I could get her to tone it down a bit. Did I mention there's only one door in my house, the bathroom door? So its impossible to just go in another room and ignore her, its a small house.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I would also like to know how to stop a bird from doing a behavior like this. My Baby has recently started making this loud, LOUD, fake barking screeching sound. I think she's trying to copy my Chihuahua, just TEN times higher pitched and louder. She goes on for a few minutes and won't stop, and does this a couple times a day. I wasn't sure how to stop it so I've just ignored her for now so I won't make it worse. For the most part she's low key, or just sings, this has been a recent developement. She seems really happy when she does it, but I would be nice if I could get her to tone it down a bit. Did I mention there's only one door in my house, the bathroom door? So its impossible to just go in another room and ignore her, its a small house.

Spiritbird does this and it helped her our

This might perhaps help you out, when the bird begins making loud noises, cover the cage, for a while. When he stops remove the cover. Do this a few times, after removing the cover and he is quiet, give him a treat as a reward, and praise him.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
If I visit him in his room a bit he does it even louder when I leave the room. It's hard to block out even from another room as it's so loud. HELP!

Please consider moving his cage to an area where he can see the tv and the family constantly, I feel in my heart that it will solve 90% of your problems. I think he started making this sound while he was still in the basement, as if it was a call for help, hoping somebody will hear him and bring him back to the land of the living. When you leave his room and he makes the sound even louder then to me, it means he is afraid of separation. Remember that he is mentally and emotionally scared and you need to look at him from a complete different angle as other birds. For everything that he does negatively you need to look at his past and find and understand the reason. Re-assurance is crucial and he NEEDS to see you when you are home, it is very important to him. Leave the tv on for him when you are not home.

The snaps and lunges will take a LOOONG time before it will completely stop - if ever. But they do become less and less and some days are completely without it. Remember that the aggression is only a symptom of what is going on inside him, it is not THE problem. When he is emotionally and mentally healed one day - then the symptom will also stop. I give Sterretjie a kiss goodbye every morning and this morning she took a bite out of my lip for no reason and she showed no intention either. Like I said, it is only a symptom and we need to see it that way so that we do not feel hurt or angry but instead react understanding and loving. (This method of course does not work with birds that was not abused)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i have to agree with wildheart on the moving cage into postision were your bird can see what you are all doing, so he/she will not feel shut away?? if you can :confused:

as i can't move my sene's main cage into the kitchen, where we sit an eat our meals she is more then happy to sit, locked in her carry cage, when we eat our dinner at night, before her bed time, this is now a routine, as before when we went to the kitchen to eat, she shreked some with being left alone in the room, and then was rather nippy with intent! and whenever it was near dinner time again, she was agressive an sherked i have come to the conclusion, she does not like to be left out, when the whole family is at home. :greenyellow:

if i am cooking in the kitchen, my son or partner normally sits with her in the room, door shut, and she sits on top of her cage, waiting patiently, till i call them in, we have to put her into the carry cage, lol given her choice she would run from plate to plate and taking the choice picks :) her carry cage sits at bottom of the table.

my friends think i am nuts :11: for having the bird cage on the table and they expect me to drop dead any day soon, due to my bird passing me some disease or other?? :20: but way i view it is, she is not feral/never leaves the house, never been in an avairy, her cage, table are cleaned thoughly each day, i think my bird has more chance of me passing her something bad, as i work with the elderly and my job involves cleaning biological waste/use of strong chemicals, so i am uber careful with hand washing, before handling her when i am home from work, and get out of my uniform fast, as she will fly onto my shoulder and most of the time poop onto my uniform (the only times she poops on me!) and flys of onto a perching area an puff up, you can almost hear the puff :63: sound as she does this lol

when my brother had her, she wasn't abused, but was left in her cage for long periods and alone, though some abuse did come from my father, who thought it funny and use to poke her through the cage, with sticks, well he soon stopped when she out right attacked him, when she was out of her cage next! :52: my brother didn't tell me this, my sister did, so i am wondering if i've had all her behavior handed over to me?? :62:

well she will still lunge and nip, i call it a nip as she has not really bitten anyone of us for awhile, other then my son, who i am still training to read her body language, so i am thinking she is settling into our routine, when we are going to be out of the house the music channel is left on for her, on low, her cage sits in my front room window, she will go into her cage, when we need her to and generally come when called, except to my son, who she knows she can outstare, and he will go to her obediantly with her *come on treat lol :p

Sonic Zippy

Mar 3, 2011
Cape Cod, MA
I think he started making this sound while he was still in the basement, as if it was a call for help, hoping somebody will hear him and bring him back to the land of the living.

This made me so sad to read but I bet it's true! And I think with a move of his cage and covering it when he does the undesirable behavior and reward him when he's quiet, will help.

He sounds like he really *likes* you around - so he wants to know where you are at all times.

Good luck with him!!

Ann

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Personally I think this poor Amazon was shoved in the basement because it starting the loud vocals & maybe it drove the owner nuts. I would also think it's a learned behavior that the previous carer had no idea how to fix. No one would do that with a well behaved bird....Would they....Once a habit is formed it is so hard to reprogramme.

If i see or hear one of my parrots starting to get a little on the loud side i try & give them something else to think about like bath them, Put him/her in the shower for awhile, will make a big difference & it will spend time drying off & preening. Give him something to chew on. Try to teach the bird another sound like a whistle to replace the noise it does make. I have a T stand in my house & my companion parrots sit on that while we have our dinner or watch TV.

I guess your still working with this bird to try & build up trust. It could take many years for him to settle. I once got given a 28 Parrot (Australian Parrot) That was terrified, he had lived in the same cage for 18 years & was wild caught. It took a whole year to get that bird settled enough to not flap around the cage when he saw me coming & actually take food from my hand. I wouldn't say he was abused just that the elderly owners where not educated on his care.

I think you might need some professional help with this Amazon otherwise you will have to pass him on again & god knows what will happen to him then. Sorry i can't be of more help this bird is going to need years of time & patients.

Most Reactions

Latest posts